Menu

Roughly How Many (Physical) Books Do You Own?

Home school curricula do not count. Educational and books about education count, the books don't need to be marketed to kids, but how many books do you OWN (not borrowed from the library) and how do you store them?

Nonfiction, reference materials,board books, baby books, story books, childrens books, adult literature, fiction, basal readers, literature and how-to-guides count. Cook books, self-held and living books count.

Books used to supplement or enhance a textbook count. Workbooks do not count. PDF's do not count, no matter what they are or who they are targeted to.

Any clever ways to store books?

I have the Billy bookcases from IKEA. One neat my desk which has two shelves of beloved paper books and two shelves of teaching books; and two in the kitchen which serve as a pantry and have one shelf each of cookbooks. Also have one little shelf on the BF's desk of kiddie books. His son is not local, so he reads to him over Facetime and we take them with us when we visit.

BUT...I am a huge ebook junkie and have over 2000 sorted, tagged and categorized ebooks on my computer :) That's why I love ebooks. I just don't have the space to store all that paper. So I save the paper-storing space for pretty ones like cookbooks and poetry.

We have about 1100 books.  They are all on two 6x4 foot book shelves plus Nancy Drew series and Hardy Boys series on a shelf each in another room.  We keep it fairly trimmed down - I go for quality over quantity.  Although we hit the library almost weekly and the librarians often tell me if I have something waiting for me through interlibrary loan as I walk through the door.  :laugh:

We have lots of books (3000+ at last count) and prefer owning our books since life is too busy to go to the library.  They never seem to have what we want anyway.  We wallpaper with books and have IKEA Billy bookcases, Besta cabinets, and Expedit cabinets everywhere.  We also have several cases of books that won't fit on the shelves so we rotate books a couple of times a year.

Lots. I have 5 bookcases with the books two deep ad stacked on their side plus boxes and boxes more. I got rid of about 500 books 3 years ago. The book cases are cheapies and I used gorrilla glue to hold them togeher but they are about to go. I have a wall that I am planning to build shelves. 12 feet long 10 feet high.

Thousands.  I don't know how many thousands.

The kids' books that they are currently using are stored in several places in their play area / bedroom.  They have a good-sized dresser with hutch that has a fair amount of shelf space, and it is all full of books.  They have one of those bookcases that looks like a dollhouse.  For little books I have a CD shelving unit that sits atop another shelving unit.  And they have a table with a shelf under it, that holds tall-ish books.  That's all in their bedroom.  In the play area / dining room, we have a buffet & hutch, which has dishes behind the glass doors, but the buffet part is a closed cabinet that is full of books.

The basement contains a number of floor-to-ceiling bookcases.  Cheap fiberboard ones that I bought back when I was poor.  ;)  These bookcases are used for books the kids have not yet grown into yet / surplus that doesn't fit in their area, as well as some grown-up books, old college texts, and some reference books.

As my slower reader develops more skills, books go into bags for my younger nieces.  We hand down hundreds upon hundreds each year.

We also have a cupboard full of cookbooks in the kitchen (which we don't actually use), a floor-to-ceiling bookcase in the upstairs hall, and bookcases in each adult's bedroom.

14 German, 14 French and 32 Chinese books in  an Expedit 2 x 2 cube.  About a hundred English books in two bookshelves that are 32" tall by 35" wide.

ETA:

I counted. Its about 120 books with more than 20 being science non-fiction children reference that my kids bought.

6743.  Doesn't include cookbooks and the books in my mudroom that aren't yet entered in my software.  Doesn't include duplicates either.  Oh, and I don't catalog piddly kids books.  So it's inching toward 7K when you get everything total.  

Where?  Everywhere, lol.  Um, we have some bookcases.  About half are on shelving dh made with brackets into the masonry wall.  It's sorta the ultimate, because then you don't have a weight issue.  Not everything fits, so I have stuff in boxes that isn't being used.  I'm rearranging right now, putting out dd's books for high school into a case.  Everything that had been on that case got double stacked way up high.  I keep picture books in laundry baskets so they're on the floor beneath the wall shelves.  

When I started homeschooling, the stories I read were of people with 14K books.  I keep trying.   :lol:

I had 13 bookcases full. Now I have 11. My goal is to get down to 1 bookshelf as soon as possible. I truly regret buying all these books. I don't know what I was thinking.

Awww, really? I love how enthusiastic you are when you find a new book or curriculum.  It gets me excited and makes go buy and check out the things I think are interesting.

3083 as of today, but I have gotten rid of at least 250 books! ,,,,I am not trying to go to 1 bookcase, but I do want to cull it down to books that we might get to!

Can we link to each others library thing accounts? I love looking at what books everyone else has.

We have bookcases everywhere, but I do want a more structured organization system...

We use Delicious Library to track our book collection. So I know exactly how many books we have: 2,680.

We have bookshelves in every room - one in the kitchen for school materials (workbooks, binders, etc.), 3 in the living room, 2 in the girls bedroom, 1 in the boys, and 2 in the master bedroom. 

I did a purge a few weeks ago, to make some space for the incoming books for this school year, and I was able to get rid of 120ish books - 2 crates worth. 

Our schooling is very literature based, and I love reading and want to pass that love onto my children. So having a good home library is important to me. I hope that someday, I can pass some of these books on to my grandchildren.

I ballpark ours at about 1,000, but I think I have more in storage. It feels like more in our small house, even with selling a bunch off.

There are small shelves in the kids' two rooms, a tall shelf unit on my staircase landing (definitely not fire code approved!) and three Boarders bookcases, though one has some curricula materials. And then boxes everywhere.

We're planning for three Billy cases to replace two Boarders cases, giving us more width and height.

Ours are definitely in the thousands.  My DH is a pastor and was given many boxes of books from a retired pastor.  We homeschool mostly with living books, so we have tons there!  And on top of it all, DH and I love to read and have a large selection of mystery/thriller books.  We currently have 3 large bookcases upstairs, filled completely.  In our schoolroom, we have a large bookcase and 2 small ones (all filled as well).  I keep some books in a closet with shelves and unfortunately there are boxes still in our basement and garage that need to be stored somewhere!   :leaving:

Cookbooks are stored in a cabinet in the kitchen.  Art books are stored with art supplies on a closet shelf.  Board books are stored in the toy room in a milk crate.  DH's books are stored in the upstairs office along with adult fiction, free-reader books for the DC, picture books, and reference books I'm not planning on using for the coming school year.  Our homeschool room contains curriculum (that we'll be using this year), reference books (that I'd like to use this year), living books that I'd like to use/have available this year, and living books that are used with this year's history and science programs.  Basically, if there's a chance we'll need it for the coming school-year, it's downstairs.  I also keep FIAR books/manuals and read-aloud literature options downstairs. The books in our basement/garage are mostly adult fiction or DH's church books.    

As far as clever storage, I knew a family that made a "room" in their basement out of bookshelves.  It basically had bookcases on all 4 sides of the "room" (with empty space for a doorway).  I think they had a small gym in the middle.  They did not have small kids, so I'm not sure if they were anchored at all to the floor.  

I have about 1000 books.  I store the little kids books on 3 shelves in no particular order.  I store the more educational ones, both kids and grown ups in dewey decimal order.  I have several shelves in the living room for books we use often.  I have an additional 4 entire bookshelves in the basement where the remainder are kept.  I have them all listed in LibraryThing so I can find them easily.  

I had 13 bookcases full. Now I have 11. My goal is to get down to 1 bookshelf as soon as possible. I truly regret buying all these books. I don't know what I was thinking.

Well I *know* what I was thinking: I want her to read.  She reads.  Anything else beyond that is hind site.  Usually I pay 25 cents for my books, and I can surely sell them for that or donate.  Really though, dd wants 'em.

Probably around two hundred.  Most are picture books, I own maybe 15 adult books.  I place a high value on living in a clutter free home.  We have wonderful access to several libraries and several used bookstores nearby.  If I want to read a book, it is very easy to borrow it or purchase it cheaply (and then quickly resell it).  Maintaining, organizing and storing books is a poor use of the limited space in my home.  There are some books that I will always keep, but most I enjoy and then pass on.  Right now my kids bookshelves are getting a bit crowded and it is making me twitchy.  I need to purge.  

I also find that when the kids don't have to dig through a bunch of books in order to get to the treasures, they read more.

Don't worry, I've just moved on to hoarding ebooks. :D And many of them are free. I'll still be posting lots of interesting things. :lol:

I'm just too mobile and unsettled to have many physical possessions right now. I knew it was a mistake to get so loaded down, but I do love books. The iPad mini was the final bit of technology that made me fully comfortable with ebooks. I actually like it better than a hardcopy, believe it or not. There are a few books that I really like and are not available as ebooks and will take too long to scan. I'll keep one bookcase full of those, and everything else is going.

Awww, really? I love how enthusiastic you are when you find a new book or curriculum. It gets me excited and makes go buy and check out the things I think are interesting.

Hunter, on 11 Aug 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

I had 13 bookcases full. Now I have 11. My goal is to get down to 1 bookshelf as soon as possible. I truly regret buying all these books. I don't know what I was thinking

I don't have a highly organized system, because I find that the kids enjoy their books more if I move them around from time to time.  Except that I do keep nonfiction stuff like science, geography, religion etc. on certain shelves.

WOW... and my family thinks I have a lot of books. I've actually purged a lot, in favor of only having books that I think are AWESOME!!! We have about 5 full bookcases... not sure the exact number. I actually have a "library" for them - a small cabin like building next to our house - that we keep the books in. We don't keep too many books in the house. My kids are allowed to have 6 books "out" at a time. They can have these in the house. When they want a new book, they take an old one back to the "library."

Hunter, have you heard of Calibre? It's free software you can use to manage your ebook library. You can tag books, sort them, there is even a plug-in to make reading lists. It's fabulous. As you say, it's digital hoarding instead :) But this way, I am not constrained by the size of my physical home, and if I have to move again, there is almost nothing to pack up.

Well we had near 4000 when we moved last year and I have added about another 1000 since then. So definitely near 5000. Oh and if you count DHs books, nearer 6000.

Each kid's room has a large basket (on wheels from target made for toy storage) that they keep current reading in or books they want for bedtime.

Our classroom has 2 1/2 walls of built in shelves floor to ceiling. I also have some books "stored" away in the classroom closet in rubbermaid bins for when we get to that topic (history, science, geography, picture books for the twins). I like them to be "new" to them. 

Our local libraries are horrible 9including their ebook selection, so buying makes the most sense.

I also have ereaders and got some books there (hundreds) , but it still (for me) doesn't replace curling up with a paper book in your favorite spot. And like yesterday my nook ran low on battery and I was out so no place to charge and suddenly, I couldn't read what I had planned to read.

Plus I get used books 90% of the time and you can't do that with ebooks, so the savings is just not there. I only get new if I NEED it for lessons, DC really wants the next in a series, or it is a present.

I will be adding some shelves to the DC rooms as with the twins wanting more of "their" books in the room, they need more room.

Hunter, have you heard of Calibre? It's free software you can use to manage your ebook library. You can tag books, sort them, there is even a plug-in to make reading lists. It's fabulous. As you say, it's digital hoarding instead :) But this way, I am not constrained by the size of my physical home, and if I have to move again, there is almost nothing to pack up.

I looked at Calibre once before and forget why I didn't use it. I'll have to look again. Thanks for the reminder.

After some serious purging recently, down to about 3500.  

We have wall to ceiling built in shelves in our study/schoolroom, a large built in bookcase in the living room and smaller bookcases in each of the bedrooms.  All shelves now have only a single row of books. 

I have 2324 entered at LibraryThing.  There's probably another 100 that aren't entered.  That's not including any curriculum.  I have one huge, floor to ceiling bookshelf that covers one entire wall of a bedroom plus 4 other bookcases; I'm guessing about 3' X 6".  Books are double stacked on all these.  Plus there are stacks of books on a couple end tables, by my side of the bed, next to the couch.  Dh can't believe anyone has as many books as I do.  I keep telling him that I don't own nearly as many as other homeschoolers.  Now I can show him this thread.  I have purged my books several times over the last few years and gotten rid of probably 200 books.

When I win the lottery I will have a library complete with one of those roller ladder thingys for the floor to ceiling shelves, old leather chairs, fireplace.   Forget the jewelry, fancy cars and clothes.  I want the library.

When I win the lottery I will have a library complete with one of those roller ladder thingys for the floor to ceiling shelves, old leather chairs, fireplace.   Forget the jewelry, fancy cars and clothes.  I want the library.

Skip the fireplace.  We have a wood stove and it creates a lot of dust.  Unless you can also pay someone to dust all those beautiful books I wouldn't bother with a wood fireplace.  :)  I pay the kids to dust our shelves twice a year.  It gets the books clean, lets them earn some money, and reminds them of what we have on the shelves.  Otherwise they ask to go to the library because they have "nothing to read" (kind of like Barbie having nothing to wear).

It had never occurred to me to count our books.  We have 8 bookcases and some of them are double-stacked.  If I had to guess, then maybe between 500 and 1000 books total.  Now I want to have the children count them up. 

Don't count them, hehe.  Enter them into library software.  :)

I don't have as many as most here. I have a lot of kids books but not a ton of adult books. I have an in and out policy. I don't tend to read things over and over again. I can't do the library because I never can remember to return them in time and lost a book before and end up paying an arm and a leg. I buy interesting books used and when I read them I just return them to the thrift store or a used book store for credit. I do have quite a bit of kids books. I have a an area for learning type of books and an area for other books for the kids and both are busting at the seems. I may add something else for the kids but even with their books I try to rotate stuff out that they don't like or isn't a good quality. I need to read more books again. I enjoy reading but it harder when I have constant interruptions and when the kids are in bed I am mentally exhausted. I want to get an e reader eventually. I like reading actual books but I don't like clutter. I like the idea of having lots of books available but they don't take up lots of space. For kids books though I prefer actual books.

Probably around 1500.  Almost all of them are mine, mostly paperbacks that I've had for years and reread often.  We have two Billy's with shelves connecting them in our living room (we have a vent we can't block) with books in boxes and stacked all over, then two bookcases in ds's room, one in the girls' room that has the Dr. Seuss level books and some of older dd's books.  More of older dd's are in a plastic garage-type cabinet in their room where she keeps stuff she wants to be able to lock away from her sister.  I have about a dozen bins of books in the garage.

I did just get rid of a bunch.