Menu

Comments/Questions about the Common App

Sunshine State Sue

Has anyone decided to go the paper route for all of the guidance counselor stuff? I need to do online or paper, and I"m tempted to do paper, but I'd love to hear about the pros and cons.

(Having the Common App constantly disconnect and glitch while dd was trying to enter her basic details didn't raise my confidence in this monster one bit!)

I opted to go all "on-line" for the school paperwork. It just seems easier than having to printout/mail a whole package to each school, and then they have to scan everything in on their end once it arrives. I did all on-line 5 yrs ago with oldest, and it worked out fine.

I will say to be careful with the school paperwork. Once you get it all input into the boxes or uploaded (for some of it), there is no way to see how it's going to look until you hit "Submit". Hitting "Submit" doesn't actually submit it right away. It takes you to a PDF viewer of what it will look like first so you can review it. I had to make a lot of adjustments to make the documents look good.

I also had issues where I replaced things, like the school profile, and when I went to hit "Submit" the old version was still in there. So proof everything really, really carefully. I ended up getting it to work by renaming my newly uploaded documents each time I wanted to change them. I also logged out & back in between updating the school profile, and then hitting "Submit" again. 

And what are people doing for the "Additional Information" section?

Dd has a GREAT resume, but I've read that this is NOT the place to put a resume. So what is she supposed to put there? There is nothing in her background that needs explanation, but I hate for her to leave a perfectly good 650-word spot empty!

My son opted to leave the additional info section blank. We couldn't really think of anything to put in there since the counselor letter and his transcript/course descriptions seem to do a pretty good job of covering everything.

Best wishes on whichever route you choose,

Brenda

Did anyone else have a student that wanted to say that their school was a boarding school?   I was just looking over what ds had filled out.  I saw that question and I burst out laughing.   He asked why, and I responded that we were a boarding school.   He started laughing b/c he said that he had been tempted to answer yes.

At least I have had a laugh today!

Did anyone else have a student that wanted to say that their school was a boarding school?   I was just looking over what ds had filled out.  I saw that question and I burst out laughing.   He asked why, and I responded that we were a boarding school.   He started laughing b/c he said that he had been tempted to answer yes.

Yes! My son wanted to put down that we were a boarding school, too. I guess technically he's right! I did persuade him to answer "No" to that.

Brenda

Yes. Actually *I* was tempted to tell her to put boarding school, but DH nixed it. Can' see why not - they DO live where they school, even with residential faculty. So, a very fancy boarding school!

We thought of putting boarding school, also lol.

We sent paper, even to the big universities. My husband uploads documents all the time and wouldn't let us attach multiple documents to the common app. He said there was a chance that it could not work but look like it had. We tried to send as much as possible together, we labeled the documents with a title, name, and birthday, and we wrote a cover letter listing every document making up the application (using the same title) and its source. For example, we included the SATs and the cc transcript on the list and said the uni should receive them directly from the college board co. and the cc.

Nan