Menu

What can I do with this space?

Saraswati

I'm looking for some inspiration. I have a closet under the stairs (and just off the kitchen) that is approximately 45 SQFT. I have nothing to store in it, and absolutely no idea what I can use it for. The first half has enough room to stand up in, however, the back half, is only 5 ft high. When we first moved in last November, the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever, and used it as a clubhouse - they've since gotten over it, and haven't been in there for many months. However, if I spiced it up, perhaps they'd use it again. Maybe a book nook, or something like that...

If you had a space like this, with no need for storage, how would you use it? 

post-58721-0-48381200-1376244319_thumb.jpg

post-58721-0-85141400-1376244350_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of having it be a little hideaway for reading! It could be really cute!

Maybe it should be the place where you go to hide out from the kids.... ;)

I was also thinking that if your kids play with dolls or little action figures, you could put shelves in the back of the closet and use it as a really cool dollhouse.

It could also be a dress-up closet.

But I'm also thinking "place where mom hides her chocolate and cupcakes..." :D

Sigh, if only it wasn't directly under the stairs - then I could totally see it being a fantastic hideaway for me! But, I'm envisioning myself settling down for some relax time, then having my kids running up and down the stairs like a pack of wild elephants!  :laugh:

My girls are into American Girl dolls, so a dollhouse - I can see them loving that!

Fantastic ideas! Thanks so much - Keep em coming!  :hurray:

Not sure whether under the stairs would be the best place for emergency supplies - but here the emergency would be an earthquake.

Time out room? my ds4 could use a padded cell and I may need one soon too. I think mini library/reading nook would win here too.

I would toss in a pile of pillows.  TJ Maxx, Ross and Homegoods are great places to buy them.  Make it just a non-descript cozy spot for whatever they want.  Reading would be nice with a low-heat lamp.  IKEA sells a lot of LED lights that would minimize fire hazards.  I don't like LED lights but kids don't seem to mind LOL.

A couple of years ago, I bought each of my daughters a Mountain of pillows.  They loved it.  Long, short, fat, all sizes in colors to match their room.  Fuzzy, sequined, silky....all textures.  They LOVE them.  They came from stores like Ross so they aren't the greatest quality but then I also don't feel bad if I have to toss a $5 pillow.  

If you want to make it a book nook, it would be fun to use the paper covers off of old hardcovers for some art, or to copy on a color printer and let the kids make some art for it.  You could modge podge on to canvas board to make it versatile and cheap. 

I could also see using it like a mini library to store books we aren't currently using...or ones that I want to save for a particular time period.  

If I had that in my house....I would put in narrow shelves (Billys from IKEA likely) and use it for random things I want to keep but don't have a great place for. I am sorting a stack of things right now and this is what I need to deal with. 

Old cell phones, extra coax, phone cords etc.

Adult puzzles (I take 1000 piece ones on vaction to the cabin)

Documents I don't know if I should keep or toss (old copies of IEPs etc)

Old curtain rods.

Left over hardware from old DIY projects.

Gift bags from a party.

Extra candles that are seasonal.

etc

I could also use it for a seasonal closet for winter coats, boots, sleds...., umbrellas and rain coats.... swim suits, beach towels, pool noodles etc.

OOOOOH, would I love that instead of having to crawl into the attic 2x a year to get the stuff out and to never really have room for the winter things!

I have a similar space under my stairs and it is the world's greatest.......... Network Closet!

Yep - I have a shelf in there with my router and cable modem and all the cables nicely organized.  I can work on it standing up!  I also have the rechargable battery charger in there as well as some spare cell phone chargers.  And a lovely big bucket with all of the extra cables that come with things that I used to toss in a drawer and lose.

Then, back in the lower-ceiling area, we keep big bags of stuff like sleeping bags and boxes of paper.  But if you don't need storage, I guess a nice reading area would be ok.....

I'm looking for some inspiration. I have a closet under the stairs (and just off the kitchen) that is approximately 45 SQFT. I have nothing to store in it, and absolutely no idea what I can use it for. The first half has enough room to stand up in, however, the back half, is only 5 ft high. When we first moved in last November, the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever, and used it as a clubhouse - they've since gotten over it, and haven't been in there for many months. However, if I spiced it up, perhaps they'd use it again. Maybe a book nook, or something like that...

If you had a space like this, with no need for storage, how would you use it? 

Storm shelter!

Set it up for use and make it enticing, but consider this:  If your house has no basement and this closet is on the ground floor it is probably the best storm shelter space you have.  To protect from tornadoes or other storms with strong winds you need an interior space (or one below ground) away from windows and glass, and preferably more strongly built (as stairs tend to be), with space for everyone in the house to huddle with pillows and blankets to cover themselves. 

Make it a very comfy clubhouse/nook.  Stock it with pillows, blankets, sleeping bags/pads, etc.  Install an outlet if you don't already have one in there.  Keep on hand battery-operated flashlights and a weather radio (perhaps even some of the battery-operated stick-up lights).  Keep non-perishable snacks and bottles of water in there or nearby (rotate these periodically by eating them up and restocking).  If you have a landline telephone at your house make sure you have a jack in the closet and a CORDED telephone.  (When the power goes out corded landline telephones can often still make calls.  911 can more easily determine your location from a landline telephone, too, if you have occasion to call them.)

Have a family meeting to go over what to do in the case of a bad storm.  Tell the kids the closet is your emergency storm shelter, and that certain supplies must stay in there all of the time, but when not needed for a storm shelter it's for their use and enjoyment.

I was just thinking about this, and I might use the closet as a Christmas closet, where I could finally store all of my Christmas stuff in one place. As it is, I have stuff in several places and, while I know where everything is, it would be a lot nicer to have one big spot for everything. I would probably also put all of my gift wrapping supplies in there, too.

OR... You could designate it as Mom's Secret Stash, where you store surprises and gifts. I have a walk-in closet that I use for all the gifts I buy throughout the year, and it's really convenient.

These are all such great ideas! Thank you. :D 

dh and I both really love Catwoman's idea of a dollhouse play area. My girls have a large collection of American Girl dolls and accessories, and this could be a great space to create a fantastic play area for them. I'm envisioning the front of the closet with shelves, baskets, and hooks to organize accessories, and the back space decorated like a play house. 

We emptied out our craft/art room today, as we outgrew it, and had to set up in a different room. I think it'll make a fantastic reading nook. dh offered to hang rain gutter bookshelves for me next weekend.  So, now the kids will have their comfy reading nook, and a fun new play area for their dolls. 

post-58721-0-79975700-1376270065_thumb.jpg

post-58721-0-79975700-1376270065_thumb.jpg