Menu

Is IEW crazy complicated or is it just me? (UPDATE IN POST 41)

Garga

UPDATE IN POST 41. It's not as bad as I'd feared when I first wrote this.

--------------------------

So I tried to save myself a few hundred dollars by NOT buying all the DVDs for IEW.  I'm a pretty good writer and figured I didn't need them.

Instead, I bought 2 student workbooks, someone let me borrow a binder called "Teaching Writing: Structure and Style" and I downloaded the Student Resource Notebook and the Teachers' Guide for the All Things Fun and Fascinating student book.

See--right there--that paragraph is already complicated.  Too many resources! A binder, a Student Resource Notebook and a Teacher's Guide.  (But they only offer the online guide for one of the student's books and not the other.  Why?)

And nowhere is there a proper lesson.  Instead, they give you what the child should accomplish that week and you can sort out when they're to do it.  Well, ok.  I guess.  I suppose for some people it gives flexibility.  But to me, it's just chaos.  I need to know what to do each day and I need the resources for that day right in front of me.

For example, the binder has different kinds of writings like narratives, reports, essays, creative writing, all in different unit numbers.  But the student books don't follow the units in same order.So, before I teach the lesson 1 through 5, I need to read section 1 and 2 in the binder.  But on lesson 6, I need to read section 4 in the binder.  UGH.

One of the student books has vocabulary cards to pull out.  The other book does not; we have to make our own cards for that book.  And the vocabulary words aren't written with the lesson.  No. They're all grouped together in the back.  I feel like there's CONSTANT flipping through 3 different binders to pull all the information together for each lesson.  Why can't the vocab words be written on the same page as the lesson?  Why are they grouped together in the back of the teacher's guide?

There are endless list of good words and bad words to use in writing and adjectives and adverbs.  And while I think they're great, I'm just OVERWHELMED with all the lists all scattered throughout these different binders and student books.

How can I possibly juggle all of this information at the same time?  There's too much to remember to do and to flip to for each lesson.  I just know I'll forget a piece and then in December realize I totally forgot to do vocabulary for the student book that doesn't have the vocab with the lesson, but instead are in the back of the teacher's guide.

We haven't started yet.  Please tell me that it all pulls together?  Or did you teach it and realize you kept forgetting to pull together information that was scattered throughout all these different binders?

I don't know what I want from this post.  Commiseration?  Or helpful insight?

You're doing it wrong, lol.

The binder is to teach YOU, it's a teaching training tool, to teach you about the various parts of the IEW method. So YOU go over that yourself. Then, you work through the themed workbooks you got (the Fun and Fascinating stuff), using what you've learned to help them understand how to do it.

It might be simpler to return what you have, and get the DVD's that are directed to the kids. You don't need the thme guides and such, everything is on those DVDs.

It might be simpler to return what you have, and get the DVD's that are directed to the kids. You don't need the thme guides and such, everything is on those DVDs.

I agree. 

showing my age here...  back in the day.. we didn't have all of that to do IEW with theme books and student extras....   You bought the SWI and that was enough.   all the rest?  extra.   Then, you put the DVD on.  and follow along. The student resource book was extra.   very simple very easy.   make notes as you when along.    they didn't sell those things...   so, yeah, I'd go find the basics and start there.

the twss binder was to have in front of you while you watched the teacher dvd TWSS, as though you were at a multi day seminar.   I watched those, but in the end, got SWI A with DVD and put it in front of student of me...  did lessons in order.

ktgrok, I think you're right.  I don't understand how this all works at all.  I thought the theme guides were the curriculum, but now that you've mentioned these ($199.00) dvds, I'm wondering if that is the curriculum?  Do they come with assignments?  

I guess I should have talked with the people at the booth at the faire I went to in April.  I'm so overwhelmed with the scattered resources.  I can't remember it all at the same time.  My brain is stuffed so full right now of all the other subjects in school. If I only taught writing it wouldn't be a big deal, but I teach 11 subjects each year.  Ugh.

Well I have a love/hate relationship with IEW. I love Andrew Pudewa. He simply inspires me. But i must be a moron because it was too difficult/confusing for me to implement. We bought the DVDs. Both the ones to teach me (TWSS) and the ones for students (SWI) but I was still confused. It didn't seem complete. I don't know how else to explain it. We went through lesson 7 and just couldn't do it anymore. I know others do fine with it but it never worked for me. I returned/sold it all.

I used to be part of the IEW Yahoo group. People were always asking question about how to teach a certain unit. The IEW rep would always post pages of hints/helps/etc to the files . There were so many that even those got confusing. I started thinking; if I need all this extra help to help me implement it then its too complicated for me. If the curriculum isn't clear enough without all the extra help then I knew it wasn't for me. But that doesn't mean it's not clear to some people. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Well I have a love/hate relationship with IEW. I love Andrew Pudewa. He simply inspires me. But i must be a moron because it was too difficult/confusing for me to implement. We bought the DVDs. Both the ones to teach me (TWSS) and the ones for students (SWI) but I was still confused. It didn't seem complete. I don't know how else to explain it. We went through lesson 7 and just couldn't do it anymore. I know others do fine with it but it never worked for me. I returned/sold it all.

I used to be part of the IEW Yahoo group. People were always asking question about how to teach a certain unit. The IEW rep would always post pages of hints/helps/etc to the files . There were so many that even those got confusing. I started thinking; if I need all this extra help to help me implement it then its too complicated for me. If the curriculum isn't clear enough without all the extra help then I knew it wasn't for me. But that doesn't mean it's not clear to some people. I hope you have better luck than I did.

So I'm not the only one. I also feel like it's somehow incomplete. There are so many pieces to each lesson scattered around that a few pieces are bound to be missed. But I will make a hurculean effort over the next week to wrap my brain around it before teaching begins. I prefer open and go curric and not stuff I have to piece together from lots of places.

And I can't spend the hundreds on the dvds.

I'm with the rest of you: crazy complicated.  I've steered clear of it for years, but because we're doing Classical Conversations Essentials this year, I'm having to dip my toes into the IEW pool.  If it weren't being led by a tutor, I don't think I could use it.  Hopefully she is very experienced with IEW and will be able to provide clarity.  I've borrowed and watched the entire set of TWSS DVDs, but on a practical, day-to-day basis I have no idea what I'm supposed to assign/teach.  And I consider myself a strong writer and an intuitive teacher.  I think my brain must be wired differently than Andrew's!

This is precisely how I feel. ADORE Andrew and am absolutely inspired by him. He is a delightful, engaging, effective teacher. But, when I try to pull the beautifully organized materials together I'm still going, "HUH?!". Now I dread it. I'm on the fence about returning it and accepting that I'm more inclined toward SWB's methods. 

This is precisely how I feel. ADORE Andrew and am absolutely inspired by him. He is a delightful, engaging, effective teacher. But, when I try to pull the beautifully organized materials together I'm still going, "HUH?!". Now I dread it. I'm on the fence about returning it and accepting that I'm more inclined toward SWB's methods.

. See I find SWB's talks/philosophy inspiring and so well thought out. Her writing program is super easy to follow. You open the book, read the script and do what she says. However (and please don't scalp me for saying it - cause I think she's great) she (in my humble opinion) has managed to suck out every ounce of fun in writing. But if you have a child who will dutifully do the work I think it will produce capable writers.

Do you have the SWI dvds or the TWSS dvds?

I didn't think it was complicated AT ALL (and, fwiw, my daughter is dyslexic and significantly behind in writing) with the dvds. We had the SWI-B package... which came with the dvds (which is what had the actual instruction on it), a student notebook (with paragraphs and an entire breakdown, day by day, of what to assign) and handouts.

I'm terrified of teaching writing and I found it very clear.

I'm curious what you have because I saw no mention of dvds. The dvds (for either TWSS or SWI) are, in my opinion, absolutely necessary, no matter how good of a writer YOU are - his entire method is different.

:lurk5: Following.  I have been interested in this over the years but can't get past the complicated what do I have to buy stage (or price).  So if I can't even figure out what to buy I probably shouldn't even attempt the curriculum.

If you start with one of the SWI (A, B, or C) courses, then IEW is super easy to teach.  You can then follow up with a continuation course.  The themed programs are really only good if you have done the whole TWSS course yourself, and are familiar with how to teach IEW.  I think after doing the SWI with the children, a parent has a good idea how to teach IEW, and then you could probably use a themed book. 

I really love IEW.  I held off trying it for several years because I was worried it would be too complicated.  With the SWI it has been the easiest writing program we have used, and my childrens writing is great!  They feel very confident writing after using IEW last year, and they love to write.

The dvds (for either TWSS or SWI) are, in my opinion, absolutely necessary, no matter how good of a writer YOU are - his entire method is different.

I agree. Bolding mine. LOL

Instead, I bought 2 student workbooks, someone let me borrow a binder called "Teaching Writing: Structure and Style" and I downloaded the Student Resource Notebook and the Teachers' Guide for the All Things Fun and Fascinating student book.

I think this mishmash of materials is what is making it crazy confusing.

Many posters here have said it is perfectly fine to do a theme without first being familiar with TWSS. I am not one of them. I love TWSS and think it is what makes all the other IEW products comprehensible. But I can be linear like that. ;) [ETA: Agree with Summer that SWI makes a great start too. More hand-holding than TWSS and completely comprehensible, unlike the themes without TWSS.] The key is to take products one at a time, whatever you do. So I vote pick one thing to start with. Do not try to make sense of that combo. And absolutely do not try to make sense of the TWSS syllabus without the DVD set. It will make you crazy. When it's in your lap while watching the DVDs, it's a treasure. But it might as well be the Rosetta Stone without the video component. :tongue_smilie: Without the videos, you would have been better off never laying eyes on it. For real. :lol:

Anyway, are you planning to do F&F with both of your kids? The 2 student workbooks are for F&F? If so, they should both have the vocab cards in the back. I would sit down with the F&F TG/WB combo and a nice beverage and read every word in both, forgetting the other resources. Set aside the Student Resource Notebook and only refer to it if the F&F TG/SB combo asks you to. That's where I would start.

Oh, who am I kidding? :lol: I would actually start by returning F&F and buying the TWSS DVD set, which will make the TWSS binder understandable. (FYI, my two oldest kids the same age as yours love to watch with me and are really getting the big picture of what the program is about. Win!) Again, I think it would be very difficult to turn what's in that binder into a day-to-day writing program without watching the DVDs. So either go all in or ditch that!

My oldest is just started 3rd grade.  I have known about IEW these last few years but it seemed *so* overwhelming....all I saw were binders and DVDs and it just made my head explode.  We used WWE for 1st & 2nd grades and intended to use it for 3rd grade, but we have actually switched to IEW.

Aaaggghhh!!  That is a scream of both delight and trepidation.  

We switched because while I loved WWE, my son did not.  He would remember all the bits & pieces of the stories, but when I'd ask him to "tell me what happened in 2 or 3 sentences" his jaw would drop and he would drool and just stare at me.  He knew the whole story but couldn't crystallize it into a summary.   I needed something to teach my son how to write the summary from the facts he knew.  I learned more about IEW at the SEARCH conference in PA this June...I straight up asked the rep to explain what the heck all the binders & DVDs were for, I had an overwhelming sense of "this is what he needs" even though I didn't quite get it, so we made the switch.

I am still intimidated by it -- but I agree with others -- get the basics.  I bit the bullet and just got the Teacher Course / Student Course A pack (I still don't know the abbreviations...even those are confusing to me).  I watched the teacher DVD on units 1 & 2.  Last week my son wrote a paragraph on sea snakes.  It is the most glorious paragraph he has ever written.

I am literally just taking this one slow step at a time.  On the whole - yeah, IEW itself is still totally overwhelming.  I have no idea what those extra books are, what their spelling deal is, none of that.  My knowledge is "units 1 & 2" and "sea snakes" -- but so far, so good.

I just wrote a novel to just say that despite the overwhelming nature of it all, so far it is meeting our need quite well so far.

OP here. I bought the Medieval History Based Writing lessons for ds10 and All Things Fun and Fascinating for ds8

In the front cover of those, it told me to download the Student Resource Notebook for both of them. The All Things FF also told me to download a teacher's guide.

It looks like the binder that I have is the TWSS binder. A friend lent it to me.

When I bought the theme books I stood there for a long time looking over the lessons and it seemed straightforward. It wasn't until I got home and downloaded both 80 page downloads (160 in all) that I started going nuts.

I am so disappointed.

But...I also am tenacious. I'm going to spend a couple of days and see what I can make of all this. I'm a very strong writer and already fully understand what I've read so far (re-good/bad adjectives, not repeating the same word too often, etc) and have considerable knowledge of how to pull together a solid piece of writing. After all, I'm a writing tutor at a test prep school--but that's at the college level, not at grade school level, so it's a bit different.

At this point I'm out of money and I think there's enough of a skeleton of a curric to work from if I take the time to pull it all together. I bought this thinking it was completely open and go. I didn't want to have to deal with a bunch of bells and whistles. As I said, I'm disappointed.

Sigh.

This is a good thread.  :coolgleamA:

I hope you find your way OP. Tenacity is a quality that'll serve you well. Keep us posted on how IEW fleshes out for you! You'll find your way.

Talking to myself here .... I have been on the cusp of returning IEW BUT this thread has me thinking that I need to ruminate a bit more. There's a hefty tote full of writing *shtuff* ready to haul on VACATION.  :rolleyes: Guess I'm adding my IEW binder to the pile. 

OP here. I bought the Medieval History Based Writing lessons for ds10 and All Things Fun and Fascinating for ds8

In the front cover of those, it told me to download the Student Resource Notebook for both of them. The All Things FF also told me to download a teacher's guide.

The Medieval lessons needs the Teacher's Guide as well. Did you buy that?

The student resource pages are a reference, not a guide or curriculum. Put them aside unless the lesson in the themed book tells you to use it that day. Some days it will, some it won't. It will tell you what section to look at, and it won't be in order.

Then do a section of the themed book at a time. Some lessons will take more than a day, you have to judge your kid to see what lessons those are.

And don't bother with the binder for the TWSS...it won't make sense without the DVDs. Just put it aside or sell it. Stick the the themed book.

I taught my older two children to write with no trouble, and I completely rejected the formulaic approach of IEW... until I had a child who clearly needed a formulaic approach.

I have experience with teaching writing, and I'm very comfortable with it, so I skipped TWSS entirely. It wasn't necessary. I also skipped all the extras and the themed stuff.

I bought the SWI-B package. I've got a student binder, a teacher binder and the SWI DVDs. Everything is laid out. There's a day to day schedule in my teacher binder. It's actually very easy to follow. I don't have the time or energy at this point to use something that requires extensive preparation and planning.

Personally, I don't care for IEW. It seems like a very stilted way to teach writing. However, it's working for my son, so I can't argue too much. It might not work for *me*, but it's certainly working for him. :D

You can occasionally buy the DVD/binder set used on this or other websites that have used curriculum sections for less than $125.  I got lucky and bought TWSS with the binder and DVD's plus SWI-B for $100.  We are working our way through that program this year as a starting point, hoping to move onto the Ancient History writing lessons with my daughter and Rockets, Radar and Robots with my son.  If you are in any type of co-op or homeschool group, someone might have copies to borrow.  My kids are old enough (10,13) that I let them watch the DVD's with me so they can see exactly what Andrew is teaching.  I am not the greatest writer, and have a hard time explaining concepts of writing so it helps me to have them watch and learn along with me and then do the writing exercises on their own.

We started with the teacher/student combo (SWI - A).  I think you could get away with just the student part but it makes sense to learn the complete system.  We have used the theme based books but believe it would be difficult to start with those. 

The student set tells you (actually the student) exactly what to do.  It tells the teacher when to watch parts of the teacher set.  After going through a year of Andrew teaching the student you could move on to the theme based or to a continuation disk course and continue to let Andrew do the teaching. 

Remember, while it seems expensive, if you buy directly from them they have a 100% return policy.  Also, after you;re done with material the resale value is extremely high, I'd say in the 75% range so the actual cost is low.

Jim

I cannot stand IEW. I find it ridiculously complicates even the most simple of writing assignments and outrageously priced. Something about it just completely grates on my nerves every time I try to look into it or the few times I've bought it only to turn around and sell it.

So just saying you're not alone in not loving IEW.

I was going to say that you should at least try to get your hands on the $10 video that is an overview.

TWSS teaches you to teach, i'll 6th that the binder won't do you a bit of good without the DVDs (although, it might be of some use with the $10 review).

Some theme books have 2 books - one for the teacher, one for the student, some are a combo book. 

On the scheduling - if you kids aren't struggling with a lesson - then move on!

I cannot stand IEW. I find it ridiculously complicates even the most simple of writing assignments and outrageously priced. Something about it just completely grates on my nerves every time I try to look into it or the few times I've bought it only to turn around and sell it.

So just saying you're not alone in not loving IEW.

Right there with you, Martha. I am unimpressed and I found it frustrating.  I prefer using Writing Aids from TOG. I also like WWE and will probably try WWS when my youngest is ready.

Right there with you, Martha. I am unimpressed and I found it frustrating. I prefer using Writing Aids from TOG. I also like WWE and will probably try WWS when my youngest is ready.

Me, too, and I did watch all of the TWSS and even read the book it was based on, by the man who actually was a college teacher and developed the lessons. In that book, it seemed clear to me that although anyone can use it, this was meant for students who don't easily understand writing, or at least that was my impression.

I would totally use it for a kid that I couldn't reach otherwise, but that's it. Then again, some have said the same about the programs by SWB that I use. :LOL I'm glad we have options.

I planted my butt one day and just started reading the teacher's binder.  Once I read through the whole thing, everything clicked and I understood the program.  You will use the back of the binder with the schedules rather quickly to help create your plan for the year.  Once I had read the whole thing, I was able to select my source texts for every week in each unit.  I was able to use the Yahoo group to find some of the source texts.  Now, I have a wonder file box with every thing I need for every lesson for every day/week/ and unit of the program.

I am sadly in love with IEW!  I've gone from a parent very nervous to teach writing to empowered and excited to teach writing. Once, my attitude changed so did the attitudes of my children towards writing.

I don't think it is complicated if you buy the DVDs.  You purchased SWI-A (or B or C depending on age).  Watch the lesson with your child, do the assignment.  Easy.

This. I would never consider it complicated with the dvds (and it was never meant to be used without the dvds - I think that is what people are missing when they call it "complicated"). I am so NOT a writing teacher - but this was easy peasy with the dvds.

. See I find SWB's talks/philosophy inspiring and so well thought out. Her writing program is super easy to follow. You open the book, read the script and do what she says. However (and please don't scalp me for saying it - cause I think she's great) she (in my humble opinion) has managed to suck out every ounce of fun in writing. But if you have a child who will dutifully do the work I think it will produce capable writers.

Ooooo...i disagree on the sucking the fun out of writing for WWE, but once you get to WWS, it kinda isn't fun anymore. Both my kids adore WWE, but my son does not love WWS. He tolerates and does fine with it, but it used to be his "thing" and now it's not. We are TRYING IEW this year with a co-op, but I am very, very apprehensive. It's very much a try-it-and-see thing. If it doesn't work out I'll be back to WWS, and I'll figure a way to make it fun.

I agree with others who said that the Teacher Intensive is absolutely necessary. I had the student stuff but sold that and have been using our own material with his teaching methods. I haven't had any trouble at all. I watch the DVD and then pass on that information to my kids. Andrew makes the method more than easy to understand.

OP here.  I'm taking a little break from planning my IEW lessons and thought I'd give feedback on how it's going.

I've been working on this since 10 a.m. and it's about 4:30 p.m. now. I stopped for lunch and to post silly comments on Facebook from time-to-time. Here's what I've done to make it workable for me:

1.  I had to get my head wrapped around the Student Resource Notebook.  It has a lot of pages, but each section is clear what it is for.  Once I studied the table of contents and browsed through each section I got a good grasp on what is available for the student--word lists, grammar charts, etc.  I am comfortable that I'll remember to use what's there when the time is right.

2.  Next:  ds8's Fun and Fascinating downloaded Teacher's Guide.  Wrapped my head around that book, same as the SRN.  Looked through the table of contents, read through each section, am comfortable I'll remember to use it when the time is right.

3.  Glanced over lesson 1 to get a feel for what it's about, but didn't start planning the first week yet.  I'm still gathering facts.

4.  Moved over to the TWSS to read the section related to lesson 1.  Even though a lot of people said the TWSS wouldn't make sense without the DVDs, I don't agree for myself.  But, as I've said in a previous post, I'm a strong writer.  I've written hundreds of essays in the past year for myself and I've assessed dozens of essays for other people.

If I weren't such a strong writer, then maybe I wouldn't be able to do this, so I am hesitant to tell others that they could read the TWSS and be fine.  Maybe a weak writer would be lost.  Dunno.

5.  Fact gathering was done, so I planned the first week of Fun and Fascinating.  The first lesson is very easy.  We'll do it over 3 days, outlining 3 paragraphs and orally retelling the paragraphs.

6.  Next it was time to plan ds10's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons book.  It's more complex. But I broke it out into a weeks' worth of work.  All the materials and lists and charts that I'll need are gathered and ready to be used.  

Sooo...finally assessment:  These theme based books aren't too bad to use, but you do have to do a lot of reading before you start them (as outlined above.)  You also have to have a good grasp on when to use all these resources and remember to pull things from the teacher's guide, the SRN, and to refer to the TWSS when appropriate.  It still feels like one too many balls to juggle, but I'm pretty confident that I can pull this off.  I have a strong suspicion that after about 2 or 3 weeks, it'll all flow without a second thought.  

I'm not as disappointed anymore, but I am plumb tuckered out from reading all these books all in one day.

ONe other thing you might want to look at getting, is the portable walls thing they make. It has all those lists on one fold out trifold thingy. You can see a review of it on youtube somewhere. Saves turning pages, and you can leave it out all the time. Also, the 10 dollar overview DVD would be a good investment I think. 

ONe other thing you might want to look at getting, is the portable walls thing they make. It has all those lists on one fold out trifold thingy. You can see a review of it on youtube somewhere. Saves turning pages, and you can leave it out all the time. Also, the 10 dollar overview DVD would be a good investment I think. 

I think that's a good idea (about the $10 DVD.)  I just had to get a handle on this fast since we start school on Monday.

Thanks for the tip about the trifold thing.  My house is small and there's not much more room for anything, but if flipping through papers drives us crazy after awhile, I'm glad to know there's another option.

I think that's a good idea (about the $10 DVD.)  I just had to get a handle on this fast since we start school on Monday.

Thanks for the tip about the trifold thing.  My house is small and there's not much more room for anything, but if flipping through papers drives us crazy after awhile, I'm glad to know there's another option.

The trifold thing is no thicker than a regular manilla folder or what not...it folds up small. You could put it with the writing stuff and just take it out when writing if you don't want to leave it up. 

I googled IEW classroom posters and found some ready made by others on the web.  They had them free to print out, so I did.  I've added those into my file and as we learn a new concept, I'll have a new poster to put up on the wall for the kids to see and remember.   If you have a chance to listen to the webinar's they are great.  He does one unit a month and you can listen to them at any time, but you can also, see when he is going to do a new one for a specific unit and sign up so you can ask questions.  I've learned so much from those webinar's.