Menu

All Time Favorite Art Program?

amyk

I would love to hear your very favorite art programs, books, DVD series, etc. I am making decisions about art curricula and am looking for something fantastic! I have two older art students (6-8 grade) and two younger (K-3). Something that can be adapted to both would be awesome, but maybe I should have a different program for the two levels.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all the responses. How long does HAS take? I am planning on once a week or even every other week It looks like it is set up by project--how much time do they take? Are there additional things to do? How have you scheduled it? I'll have to look into Atelier.

Thanks for all the responses. How long does HAS take? I am planning on once a week or even every other week It looks like it is set up by project--how much time do they take? Are there additional things to do? How have you scheduled it? I'll have to look into Atelier.

Every other week would be perfect.  There isn't enough lessons in just 1 dvd to cover an entire school year doing it weekly.  They are on sale at HSBC right now.  The dvd's average 18 lessons each (seems like a few were less or more...can't quite remember now)...and Atelier has 3 modules per level with 18 lessons (6 per module).  Another think I like about HAS is that you can upload pictures of the kids art projects and Ms. Volin will put them on her website and make a nice comment.

Is the Home Art Studio webpage down or is it just me?

Seems to be working for me. 

http://www.officialhomeartstudio.com/

We love Atelier. I wanted to keep everyone together so we started with level 1. It wasn't too challenging for my 3rd grader, but it wasn't too easy either. Last year we had 3rd/K/PK in Level 1 and this year we have 4th/1st/K in Level 2. By next year, they will all fall into the age range for level 3. Your spread may be too big to combine, but I don't think two levels would be bad. It's very easy to use.

We tried Artistic Pursuits, and while I really wanted to like it, it just didn't get done. The projects don't have enough guidance and they all started to seem the same.  Artistic Pursuits could work with your older kids. It is meant to be done independently. We just needed a little more hand-holding and we got that from Atelier.