Menu

Have you given up caffeine?

I was wondering if any of you, after giving up caffeine have felt better? I sometime notice that I sort of feel agitated in the mornings after a acup or two and I am planning to wean myself from it over the next week or two. I was wondering if there are any WTM caffeine-free folks who would care to share. Did you, after giving up coffee, float through your day full of sweetness and light? Did you experience zen-like tranquility?

I feel like that Scottish (Irish?) guy off the Simpsons...the guy who always seems to be blustering about.

Thanks

Alexandra

I was wondering if any of you, after giving up caffeine have felt better? I sometime notice that I sort of feel agitated in the mornings after a acup or two and I am planning to wean myself from it over the next week or two. I was wondering if there are any WTM caffeine-free folks who would care to share. Did you, after giving up coffee, float through your day full of sweetness and light? Did you experience zen-like tranquility?

I feel like that Scottish (Irish?) guy off the Simpsons...the guy who always seems to be blustering about.

Thanks

Alexandra

Nope (I still drink 1-3 cups of coffee a day). But I did give of my 2 liter/day of Sweet-Poison-In-A-Bottle (aka Diet Mountain Dew), and felt that way. But I'm claiming all issues were with the artificial sweetners so I don't have to give up caffeine, which I believe is a gift from God :D.

I gave up caffeine cold turkey after experiencing heart palpatations. My doctor suspected caffeine and told me to quit! I did the very next day.

It was VERY difficult the first few days. The headache was terrible. But, if you do it gradually, you may not get the headache. I felt like I was in a fog for about a week. But, now, I don't miss it at all. I like not HAVING to have coffee in the morning to feel awake. I don't miss the jitters I used to get from coffee either.

Good luck on your quest for sweetness, light, and zen-like tranquility. I have the feeling you'll need some other sort of drug for that though . . .:lol:

I did once for about two weeks. I was willing to do it because of my insomnia. I was hoping that it would help me sleep better. *Snort* I had one of the worst cycles of insomnia I've ever had toward the end of the two weeks. I bought some Mt. Dew and slept.

I guess I'm just a freak of nature.

I gave it up after I started getting stomach pains, heart racing, and jitters. I'm still sensitive enough that if I accidentally drink full-caff, or if I drink more than a quart of decaf (some days . . . ), I will start to feel bad.

So, I feel "better" in the sense that I'm no longer in pain, don't experience jitters, and generally feel like my heart is beating at the right pace.

But, no, I'm not all sweetness and light. I don't crash as hard in the afternoons as I used to; but I am generally less energetic than I was two years ago. I can't tell, though, whether that's the caffeine or the baby. :D

I also miss the slight uptick in productivity that happens when I'm on a real caffeine high. I could usually count on a good cup of coffee to power me through a writing block.

Dh went off coffee after getting a nasty stomach virus that kept him from eating or drinking for several days. He had a terrible headache the whole time, on top of all the other grossness. :tongue_smilie: When he got better, he decided not to undo the involuntary detox, and he's been off caffeine ever since.

I think he feels more even keeled, doesn't crash hard at 4pm like he used to. But he, too, misses the little pick-me-up from time to time.

I gave up caffeine over 10 years ago. I remember getting the headache from withdrawal. I don't miss it at all. Now, the very few times that I have any caffeine, I find that I can't sleep at night--it affects me much more now than it did. On the downside, now even the caffeine in chocolate affects me!

I do feel healthier though--none of that artificial alertness. Now if I need a little more energy I use sugar. :tongue_smilie: I'm not willing to give that up though!

this is pure heresy. HOW would I parent without caffeine? There are 5, five, of them, and one of me. . . . enough said. :lol:

True I can't drink more than 1 cuppa joe a day because it does give me heart palpatations and high blood pressure. But the doc did give me the OK for 1 cup.

I have considered going caffeine free but I wouldn't get as much done. I suppose when they're grown I'll be able to lay around on the couch and detox while they do all the dishes, laundry, cooking, schooling, and general pickup. Of course they won't fight with each other then either, right?!

DH and I call it the liquid nap.

Thanks

Alexandra

There is very little floating going on here and zen-like tranquility only comes over me when I'm comatose. Sweetness and light?...now that one I've got covered. :lol:

I gave up regular coffee 14 years ago when I was pregnant with our first. Switched to decaf and never switched back. The nicest thing about that is that if I miss having coffee, I don't feel like I've smashed into a wall. But, I also don't float through my mornings. I feel groggy. Sometimes grumpy. Like I rarely get enough sleep (which is kind of true but another topic altogether). I do drink decaf, which has some caffeine. But, this winter, dh gave up all coffee (even decaf), so now, many mornings we have tea. Green tea and Yerba Mate are our favorites and both have caffeine. But, not a lot. Or not nearly as much as regular coffee. And, I can easily (EASILY) go without anything and not feel any differently than I do when I have them. So, I don't know if that helps you or not. Not the most inspiring tale, is it? ;)

Oh, and don't touch my chocolate (which is, I believe, how I get all my addictive needs met -- caffeine, sugar, and all those love inducing chemicals!)

My experience is similar to Parisarah.

My stomach was in poor shape. Caffeine was one of the major culprits. I don't drink coffee except in social situations, but my addiction was Dr Pepper. Caffeine and corn syrup...yum!

I feel better. My stomach doesn't hurt and I've lost some weight. I like knowing that I won't get a headache if I don't get a 'fix' on any given day.

I miss the caffeine fueled surge of creativity, but I'm finding a brisk walk is almost as good.

I'm glad I'm free.

You know, I've considered this, but I'm pretty sure the world would stop spinning if I didn't have a few cups of coffee each day and at least one diet coke (from Sonic with the wonderful ice). Now I have cut way back, and I at least don't threaten permanent damage on my children if they talk to me before the coffee is done in the morning, but I still *really* want it.

I gave up caffeine over 10 years ago. I remember getting the headache from withdrawal. I don't miss it at all. Now, the very few times that I have any caffeine, I find that I can't sleep at night--it affects me much more now than it did. On the downside, now even the caffeine in chocolate affects me!

I do feel healthier though--none of that artificial alertness. Now if I need a little more energy I use sugar. :tongue_smilie: I'm not willing to give that up though!

What she said. Went cold-turkey; yep, bad headaches; don't miss it; chocolate late in the day will keep me up; totally worth giving it up!

Yes, I gave up caffeine over a year ago due to heart palpitations, headaches, and trouble sleeping. I did try cold turkey and that was very difficult. So, I cut my coffee consumption in half. Then I cut it by another 1/4. Finally I cut it completely.

I do drink decalf once or twice a week. I do eat chocolate - but only the really, really good dark chocolate and only a small amount (it is so rich!).

I have noticed that I cannot tolerate green tea now. I love Starbucks iced green tea, but the last time I tried it, it gave me a terrible headache.

I do feel better now. I rarely get headaches anymore. I sleep better. The PVCs are much better.

IF cold turkey is too drastic, try cutting back in regulated amounts.

Oh, please don't take away the caffeine! I did give it up during both of my pregnancies. But, I've given up lots of other bad habits, like smoking, and I'm not, I'm not, I'm not giving up my pop! I have 2 diet cokes in the a.m. That's it. That's my vice. I don't usually have any caffeine after 3pm or so because I won't get to sleep at night. But I'm keeping my yummy fizzy drinks! :o)

FWIW, it was easy for me to give up. Just wean yourself off by cutting your amount in half for 3 days and in half again for another 3 then done all together and the headaches won't be bad. This is what I did. HTH

I gave up most all caffeine a year and-a-half ago, due to heart palpitations. I'm OK having a little bit of chocolate every so often. I can say, yes I do feel much better. I no longer have that dragging feeling in the afternoon. The girls say I don't get upset or frustrated over things as much, and I do sleep much better. Now, I was consuming a ton of espresso daily, so I think I would have felt better even just cutting down on the amount. That said, I miss coffee and tea very much. The herbal stuff just doesn't come close.

I have almost completely given it up. I have an irregular heartbeat that is exacerbated by too much caffeine (although the caffeine itself doesn't cause it. It's an electrical thing.)

Any-hoo....I quit drinking any and all caffeine years ago when this heart thing started. Now I make my coffee with 2 scoops of decaf and 1 scoop of regular coffee (with 6 cups of water). Sometimes that proves to be too much caffeine and I make it a half-scoop of regular for a while. Everything else I drink is caffeine-free (caf. free diet coke, etc.). Even the froo-froo drinks I get at Borders (Chocolate Javacula, baby!) or an iced coffee at Dunkin' Donuts (mocha swirl, please) are made with decaf.

Forgot to add: Of course I am always perfectly amiable. ;) NOT! But it isn't the lack of caffeine, it's me being selfish or tired or hungry or hormonal. Usually.

Just recently I quit cold turkey. For whatever reason, I only had withdrawal symptoms for one day (I've quit like this before and gone through a two week withdrawal).

I feel SOOOO much better without caffeine. Yet I LOVE good coffee so much. And dh just got a bunch of green beans and started roasting them at home. So I've had a 1/4 cup here and there over the past week.

But once I get over how good the home roasted beans are, I'm going cold turkey again. I promise.

Oh, please don't take away the caffeine! I did give it up during both of my pregnancies. But, I've given up lots of other bad habits, like smoking, and I'm not, I'm not, I'm not giving up my pop! I have 2 diet cokes in the a.m. That's it. That's my vice. I don't usually have any caffeine after 3pm or so because I won't get to sleep at night. But I'm keeping my yummy fizzy drinks! :o)

FWIW, it was easy for me to give up. Just wean yourself off by cutting your amount in half for 3 days and in half again for another 3 then done all together and the headaches won't be bad. This is what I did. HTH

The older you get, the more pounds those yummy fizzy drinks put on your body. Ask me how I know....

I want a t-shirt that says, "Help, I have too much blood in my caffeine system!" LOL

Yeah...I am a total addict but I have quit before....4 times in fact...I don't drink caffeine when I'm pregnant... no, I didn't notice feeling any better at all....just much more tired. LOL But that could have been as much to do with being pregnant as it did the lack of caffeine...:D

Also want to add...I do not get my caffeine via soda or energy drinks...I'm a coffee and tea/iced tea gal... I used to drink soda pop...a LOT of soda pop.... but I quit when I gave up high fructose corn syrup (I am allergic to artificial sweetner)....and I *DID* notice a major improvement to my health when I gave that up...

and no, I can't tell you where I read it. It was a few years ago in a book about what vitamins/foods to eat based on a LONG list of questions about you and your family's genetic tendencies.

basically some people need 2 servings of caffeine a day.

I am in the process of quitting (yet again) caffeine and honestly, this time it's going much better. last year I had headaches for days and days. I finally went back to my daily dosage but trying now to get to one a day or every other day.

but my point is brain chemistry wise some people would function better with caffeine.

I've quit a number of times (each instance resulted in the "headache" withdrawals). I'm not sure I really felt better, although I liked the feeling of not being a *junkie*.

But each time I got lured back by indulging the thought: wouldn't-just-one-cup-be-so-good-right-now?

I rationalize by hoping the "news" that coffee is rich in anti-oxidants has merit (and please don't disabuse me of the notion if you know better).

Hi, my name is...

Bill (and I'm a coffee-addict)

I have given up caffeine mostly, except on really desperate days.

I do feel better. I sleep better - when I get sleep. Right now I'm not packing, and not sleeping. Heh.

However, no caffeine makes me realize when I am tired - I no longer have that extra oomph to keep going. I miss it sometimes, but I know it's healthier for me that I have to acknowledge what my body is trying to tell me, LOL.