Menu

So apparently my kid is a senior this year. Really?

AlmiraGulch

DD17 should be a senior this year, but when she started back to public school last year after 3 years of home schooling she only had enough credits to be a 2nd semester sophomore.

We were fine with that.  After she acclimated so quickly and did so well academically, we both thought that she would do well to have an extra year (or even an extra semester) in that environment.  

Today is the first day of school, and she just texted me that they have her classified as a senior.   

What?  No!

First of all, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have enough credits to be a senior.  I'd hate for her to participate in all of the senior activities and then not actually graduate in the spring.  That doesn't seem right. 

Second, I'm not ready for her to be a senior!  We were just this weekend talking about making this the year she gives serious thought to what she wants to do when she graduates!  We were looking at SAT prep courses, colleges, tech schools, and all sorts of interesting things.  She was going to work on getting her driver's license so should could work her senior year, getting more involved in clubs at school.....all sorts of things we thought she was going to have an extra year to do.

Crap.  I'm not prepared for this.  I need to speak to her guidance counselor. 

Oh, and she just texted me again and said she does have enough credits to be a senior.  They ended up giving her credit for a bunch of home school stuff that they hadn't given her credit for before.  I'm not ready for this.....

I would get over to the school and counselor quick. You and your dd need to know if it is actually possible to graduate this year. Definitively. In writing. If she goes through the year doing all the senior stuff and thing she is graduating, it might be very difficult for her to return next year to finish "requirements." it will be very unpleasant for you.

If she is able to graduate, I'd let her. I would start working on the post graduate plan now. Should she get the SAT/ACT done now? As in sign up today for September testing? If she needs more time before going to a 4 year college or if that was never the plan, get to know what's going on at the cc for general programming and vocational certifications.

Most important is to be very clear on whether your dd actually meets state and district grad requirements.

Most important is to be very clear on whether your dd actually meets state and district grad requirements.

This is what I'm most concerned about.  I believe if they gave her credit for everything she has actually done that she'll have the right number of credits, but I don't believe she will have satisfied all of the graduation requirements for specific classes.  

I'll be speaking with her adviser as soon as I can.

This is what I'm most concerned about. I believe if they gave her credit for everything she has actually done that she'll have the right number of credits, but I don't believe she will have satisfied all of the graduation requirements for specific classes.

I'll be speaking with her adviser as soon as I can.

I'd be worried that counselor gave her the credits without district review and then in May finding out that the district said they won't accept the credits.

My daughter is a junior this year. I'd be mortified to get that text! I'd be tempted to demand they give her an elective instead of Senior English to delay the inevitable. That may be completely irrational, but I'd be stuck on "I thought we had more time!" for a few moments before I could process it like a sane person.

My daughter is a junior this year. I'd be mortified to get that text! I'd be tempted to demand they give her an elective instead of Senior English to delay the inevitable. That may be completely irrational, but I'd be stuck on "I thought we had more time!" for a few moments before I could process it like a sane person.

Yeah, I'm sort of freaking out.  

She's sort of freaking out.

I'm going to have a long conversation with her when she gets home, after she's had more time to process, and then make an appointment with the school.  I want to see, on paper, what the requirements are v. what she has and will have by the end of the year.