Menu

Official Visits

Blue Hen

In case you haven't been following the NCAA thread my DS is a rising senior and a competitive rifle shooter. He's happily being recruited by several colleges to be on their rifle teams, all are Division 1 schools. All are miles and miles away from home. Last night he received his second invitation for an 'Official' visit and is making plans to visit this school.  We both visited the school this past spring and met with the coach, toured the facilities and questions answered. Of course as time has past I have more questions. :lol:

DS would like to go on this official visit alone. The agenda is for him to spend time with the players (he knows most of them from matches and camps), attend class, watch a practice, go to a sporting event (most likely a football game) and get a feel for the team and the town. I have those parent questions that have come up from our last meeting with the coach.  Would you go along? I wouldn't go to class and ds would be wtih the players without mom but I would like to chat with the coach again.  Thoughts?

Carole

If it were my ds and 1) I did not have concerns about his ability to manage the various aspects of the trip, and 2) I did not have concerns about him in some way inadvertently jeopardizing his scholarship chances, I would let him go on his own if he specifically asked to go alone.  It would be hard, but I think I would let him.   He sounds like a brave young man who will be well prepared for college. :)

What exciting news for your son.  I'm in agreement with the others who have already posted.  If it's your son's desire to do this trip solo, I'd honor that.  The suggestion to have your son ask your questions is a good one.

Regards,

Kareni