Menu

Has Anyone Done 5th Grade Science According to WTM Recommendations????

Looking through the forums, I see so many different curriculum choices for 5th grade science. I am SO undecided about what to do for my 5th grader's science. I like the idea presented by the WTM (scientific method, experiments, etc.), but I don't like that every thing we're supposed to do isn't already pulled together. There are so many various resources listed, plus experiment kits, that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. . .

Has anyone ever done 5th grade Biology according to the WTM?? If so, how did it go for you??

I did not. I am not a hands-on kind of mom--even when I try to run experiments, they don't work for me, or my stress about the process kills any enjoyment. I have, instead, worked through books with my kids, and hired out the labs. We were involved with a co-op for years that did labs. One spring I hired a teenager to do the labs with my sons and the teenager's younger sisters. They used the Chemistry books recommended by SWB and it went really well.

We did WTM science for all of grammar stage.  But when I read the new recommendations for 5th grade from the latest volume I couldn't do it either.  Too much money, too many experiments, just too much :)  So we are sticking w/the WTM rotations, but I choose materials now that fits the topic instead of using their exact suggestions.  FWIW, I own the 2nd edition of WTM and the logic stage science recs are a lot different.  There are more books, more writing, and less kits.  It seems easier to me.  Though a lot of the books are probably OOP, and that is why they changed them.  It was still a lot of hands on, but from books like in the grammar stage.  It just seems like it would be easier to manage.

So for 5th grade I bought MP's 5th grade science set: The History of Medicine and their bird unit.  We LOVED the bird unit.  We learned so much and have continued our bird watching.  We participated in the Audobon Society's annual Christmas Bird Count. 

Then dd enrolled in a science class in co-op that used a PS text that went heavily into biology, plus did all of the hands on and dissecting there.  Problem solved.  She read the History of Medicine as a supplement, and I didn't have to do any experiments at home last year.  Best science year ever :)

I am in the thick of scheduling our 5th grade science in the WTM format, and I am doing a lot more "demonstrations" and models of how things work than real scientific method experiments. We are doing things like dissections, raising butterflies and tadpoles, blood typing, and building model cells and DNA. I agree that all the recommended kits are fiddly, expensive, and most of them are no more than demonstrations and models themselves.

I did find the book "Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method," to have really doable, actual scientific experiments. (Ok, maybe not actual in the sense that scientists already know the answers--you aren't generating new knowledge--but the set up is an actual experiment using the scientic method.). I was a little intimidated, since I am not much of an insect person, but the critters are pretty ubiquitous and the ick factor is not too bad--rolly pollies and crickets are pretty easy to find and not too freaky. I am setting aside several weeks in the spring to do these experiments, after a more traditional, read, write, watch type of beginning.

We also follow the WTM rotations, but not SWB's specific plan.  Instead, my kids read and watch documentaries for 7 months and then do one big project for 2 months.  This approach gets me off the hook for weekly experiments/demonstrations; and allows my kids to really dig into a single topic with a scientific investigation for 2 months.

Ruth in NZ

Haven't done it yet but I'm planning on doing something like it this year for 6th. Basically, the plan is do experiments, read more about the topic and write reports. My son will be using different books than what SWB recommends for middle school, but the plan is to still have him read, do experiments and write summaries and lab reports. Basically, I'm taking this general approach and applying it to the science books I already have.

Haven't done it yet but I'm planning on doing something like it this year for 6th. Basically, the plan is do experiments, read more about the topic and write reports. My son will be using different books than what SWB recommends for middle school, but the plan is to still have him read, do experiments and write summaries and lab reports. Basically, I'm taking this general approach and applying it to the science books I already have.

This is pretty much what I've decided to do, too. I'm using a few Janice VanCleave books, along with the science encyclopedias I already have on hand. I'm going to follow the 2-day schedule and see how it goes. I think what was throwing me for a loop was all of the separate purchases to be made for various kits to do experiments with. I think I'll purchase just a couple of those kits to use as "special science projects", but I just don't see myself purchasing things all school year long. I don't have that kind of cash! :laugh:

That is how I felt about it too, looking at it all at once.  I instead spent about the same amount of cash over the year, but bought the full science course that can mostly be reused down the line with my ydd, the ps text for the co-op class (which was about $10 online, score!) and then invested in a good microscope and a decent telescope instead of all of the kits. I think I paid a bit to go in on the dissection kits for co-op too, but since we all split them, it wasn't much.  I am confident going into 6th grade now knowing it will be ok if we don't do it just like WTM says :) 

I was underwhelmed by science in the WTM at that level. I can see my 6 year old going for the Creepy Crawlies book, but that would be incredibly baby-ish for my 10 year old, he wouldn't care one bit. I also grow weary of pulling together lesson plans from multiple sources.

I really really like Pandia Press RSO Biology level 2. It fits well with the WTM idea of hands on and reading and writing, and it's laid out for me and very rigorous.

I haven't really been impressed with any of the WTM science recs tbh. 

For 5th grade I used the free life science curriculum/schedule at guest hollow

http://www.guesthollow.com/index.html

She is a hive member and a great educator. She is also very generous with her gifts.

Now, this isn't secular and we are, but it worked just fine. The religious resources I just didn't buy. Some materials she used were secular and we used parts she did not. It was a great hands on year for us.

The curriculum has more than anyone could do in a year so there is lots to choose from. I am a big believer in hands on science so we did all the dissections and stuff like that. There were lots of books to read and projects to do.

I think if I had it to do again (and I do) the only change I would make would be to add in an actual science text. It is possible that she used a non-secular one and it just didn't register for me. Plus, I haven't looked at it in 3 years so my memory is fuzzy, lol.  But I would use CPO life science book for readings and maybe some demonstrations etc.

We had a great science year in 5th grade thanks to Guest Hollow!

I tried Elemental Science, but had lots of trouble with the experiments.  The whole thing seemed like just a lot of paper work.  

Near the end of the year I got the Creepy Crawlies book.  It was great.  I stuck with the WTM method for 6th (our best year yet!) and again for 7th.

We mostly read good books for science, and watch some Frizz and Bill Nye. I usually buy an experiment book each year. We don't get around to doing it often; more monthly than weekly. When I buy a "curriculum" like Real Science 4 Kids Focus on Middle School, I only buy the student text, and we treat it like any other book. 

FWIW, I own the 2nd edition of WTM and the logic stage science recs are a lot different.  There are more books, more writing, and less kits.  It seems easier to me.  Though a lot of the books are probably OOP, and that is why they changed them.  It was still a lot of hands on, but from books like in the grammar stage.  It just seems like it would be easier to manage.

This is pretty much what I've decided to do, too. I'm using a few Janice VanCleave books, along with the science encyclopedias I already have on hand. I'm going to follow the 2-day schedule and see how it goes. I think what was throwing me for a loop was all of the separate purchases to be made for various kits to do experiments with. I think I'll purchase just a couple of those kits to use as "special science projects", but I just don't see myself purchasing things all school year long. I don't have that kind of cash! :laugh:

Yep, the recs were changed because of the older rec'd books being OOP.  We did logic stage science using recs from the 2nd edition, and it went pretty well.  Experiments/demonstrations are explained in the books, and you could read and experiment cheaply from the same book.

But you have the right idea - read, experiment, write.  And often you can find experiment materials in thrift stores or around the house.