Menu

10th grade history..... What are you using!

We are following a chronological progression, and 10th grade was medieval and renaissance history.

We used the text recommended in an older edition of TWTM, A Short History of Western Civilization by Harrison, and covered the respective portion.

We also used the following Teaching Company lectures:

The Early Middle Ages (24 lectures, Prof. Philip Daileader )

The High Middle Ages (24 lectures, Prof. Philip Daileader)

The Late Middle Ages (24 lectures, Prof. Philip Daileader)

The Italian Renaissance (36 lectures a 30 minutes, Prof. Kenneth Bartlett)

Dante’s Divine Comedy (Lectures 1-15, Profs. William Cook and Ronald Herzman) - selectied

Shakespeare: The Word and the Action (24 lectures, Prof. Peter Saccio)- selected

We're doing student led history- 20th century(ish) Asian History. I've pulled together about 100 million things for it, including coursera classes and tc lectures. He is going into the 3rd week (course started so we just started history even though we are taking a summer break) and so far, so good.

We are following a chronological progression, and 10th grade was medieval and renaissance history.

We used the text recommended in an older edition of TWTM, A Short History of Western Civilization by Harrison, and covered the respective portion.

Dante’s Divine Comedy (Lectures 1-15, Profs. William Cook and Ronald Herzman) - selectied

Shakespeare: The Word and the Action (24 lectures, Prof. Peter Saccio)- selected

If I had the luxury of time, I would follow regentrude's plan. The Daileader lectures are excellent and my students enjoy Saccio's dramatic presentations.

Our emphasis for tenth grade is on European history from 1350 to the present and we are using the text, The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures along with the Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civilization, Part II. I am working on getting this syllabus approved through the AP audit, so we have a definite plan that we need to follow. In addition, my son will have one credit that I loosely call our Medieval Great Books Study. We'll continue on in our world history text and cover the non-Western medieval world history as well as our Great Books. Building in this extra credit lets me expand our studies and cover more art, religion, and philosophy.

I have heard that the Dante lectures are very good and we will be using the same one's regentrude has listed and addition to other lectures culled from philosophy and art sets that I have or plan on getting. :tongue_smilie:

DS did World History in 10th. We used:

BJU World History;

Christ the King, Lord of History (A Catholic World History from Ancient to Modern Times);

Pocket History of the Church;

Sketches From Church History (An Illustrated Account of 20 Centuries of Christ's Power);

Teaching Company's Foundation of Western Civilization II: A History of the Modern Western World (lectures by Robert Bucholz).

I thought giving multiple perspectives on World History would be a good way to develop critical thinking skills. It turned out to be a very interesting course, both for my son and for me!

Regentrude, I have the same resources listed for this year, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to schedule it. Do you treat it like a college class and have lecture MWF? Do you just progress through in a 'do the next thing' style with certain date milestones to keep you on track? Forgive me, I feel like you have answered this question before, but I have not had enough coffee yet to remember! :). Thanks!

We're using Veritas Press Omnibus V, SWBs The History of the Medieval World, and selections from Hillsdale College's Western Heritage anthology. I love the Teaching Company lectures, too! So much to choose from, so little time. :)

Edited...I forgot to tell you what I liked:

Omnibus - I love the reading lists and the fact that the textbook provides the reading schedule for self-direction as well as challenging discussion/study questions for my husband and I to do with the kids. I use the Teacher's CD, which includes the "answers" to the questions, though I don't always agree with the author's perspective. Omnibus covers History, Literature and Theology.

SWBs books are engaging and help to flesh out major names, dates and events.

The Hillsdale reader is an anthology of important historical works of politics, philosophy and history. Sometimes heavy reading, but my 15 year-old is enjoying it and eager to discuss what he's reading.

I just ordered the TC Middle Ages courses, digital download. We'll watch them on family movie nights. The kids will love me! (haha)

What are you using and why did you pick it? Tapestry of Grace - I wanted to combine my children into one program.

What do you like about it? It's made my live easier while increasing the quality of our homeschool. It's also provided structure for our school year, so we've been able to stay on-track better since I switched.

:001_cool:

We're using My Father's World-World History. My son took the Ancient History course last year, and it an amazingly great fit.  I liked the thoroughness of it. While there was a lot of reading, it was split up into several different sources, including Notgrass.

My dd used Notgrass for 9th grade and absolutely hated the endless text.  Prior to this, she loved reading.   MFW breaks up Notgrass, covers it in two years instead of one, and adds in a lot of other texts that my ds finds engaging.

I have several resources I will be using based on what I feel we are weak in and what my kiddo requested. I like to use an eclectic mix of resources.....preferably free.  

Basically we will be doing a review of US history, with an emphasis in economics and government. Once a week we will study Geography with something fun thrown into the mix.  Some items I have bookmarked:

US History I http://education-portal.com/academy/course/us-history-i.html (free)

Yale open courses american revolution http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-116#sessions

Economics education portal (free)  http://education-portal.com/academy/course/macroeconomics-course.html (free)

Online econonmics courses http://mruniversity.com/

Government http://education-portal.com/academy/course/business-law-course.html (free)

World Geography:  Mapping the world with art http://store.ellenjmchenry.com/?product_cat=mapping-the-world

America: The Story of UsDVD (History Channel) (library)

Cartoons for the Classroom (once a week) http://nieonline.com/aaec/cftc.cfm#

The reason I asked is because we have been a bit abeka video dependent for some subjects. This year we are trying to stay away from video$..... However my kids LOVE abeka history!!!!!! So I'm worried they will lose their love for history if I switch it up. On the other hand, I want to be a better steward of our resources since we can't keep it for the next child.

I'm not familiar with Abeka video content. But here are some very good documentaries available through Netflix. Libraries often carry the big multi volume documentaries like the series from Ken Burns or Tom Hanks.

We have tended to use mix of a textbook spine like Kagan's Western Heritage and many topical histories and period works of literature. In practice it looks a lot like what is in WTM.

One nice thing about Kagan or Spielvogel's Western Civilization or world history texts is that you can find copies that are a couple years old for under $10.

This is the basic plan for this fall:

Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills
The Homeric Hymns (Lang)
Plutarch's Lives (Selections)
Histories (Herodotus)
The Iliad (Homer)
The Iliad (Great Courses) (Elizabeth Vandiver)
The Odyssey (Homer)

The Odyssey (Great Courses) (Elizabeth Vandiver)
The Oresteian Trilogy (Aeschylus)
The Glorious Adventure by Richard Halliburton
History of Art for Young People
The Story of Philosophy (McGee)
The Last Days of Socrates
The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin

Book of the Ancient Romans by Dorothy Mills Archive
The Early History of Rome (Livy)
Aeneid (Virgil)
The Aeneid (Great Courses) (Elizabeth Vandiver)
Metamorphoses (Ovid)
Three Theban Plays (Sophocles)

We will be in year 2 of the 4 year cycle for 10th grade. We're continuing with Spielvogel's World History as our spine and building out literature list around that. Here is our working lit. list:

something by Augustine

Beowulf

The Inferno

Everyman

Canterbury Tales

Le Morte de Arthur

The Prince

Faustus

Julius Caesar

Hamlet

Regentrude, I'm interested in how you plan to schedule those lectures. It looks like a lot at first glance but I bet it's manageable. Are you following a MWF lecture schedule? How long do Prof. Daileader's lectures run?

If A Beka is working so well for you, I personally would stick with it. One can always do it without the videos if you are trying to save money.

We'll be doing A Beka this year for 10th for DD13. She is a strictly A Beka fiend. She will not let me change any of her subjects. She likes the comfort and predictability of school in a box. Luckily, the textbook is colorful enough, meaty enough, and challenging enough to get my OK.

Regentrude, I'm interested in how you plan to schedule those lectures. It looks like a lot at first glance but I bet it's manageable. Are you following a MWF lecture schedule? How long do Prof. Daileader's lectures run?

Each of those lectures lasts 30 minutes.

I do not schedule them and do not bother synchronizing the lectures with the textbook or literature. If the student encounters lecture content he has read about before, or if the student reads something that has previously been touched on by a lecture, that is beneficial for reinforcement and produces the nice "oh, that sounds familiar, I think I have heard about this before" effect.

We listened to almost all of the lectures in the car. Driving to Utah in the summer, 18 hours one way - that's a lot of history we can learn. We used to go on family outings every weekend, 1-2 hours driving one way - more lectures. Driving to the barn where DD rides - first half of lecture on the way out, second half on the way home.

My DS prefers to listen to his lectures privately, and he fiddles with something, organizes stuff, etc. As long as his multitasking does not interfere with absorption, not a problem. He likes to start his school day with a lecture to get his brain into gear so that he is fully alert and ready for math next (and I found from experience that this half hour is really necessary for him).

Regentrude, I have the same resources listed for this year, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to schedule it. Do you treat it like a college class and have lecture MWF? Do you just progress through in a 'do the next thing' style with certain date milestones to keep you on track?

No schedule, and no milestones, and no "on track". We start at the beginning, and we get as far as we get. 

I explained in my other post responding to Pretty in Pink  that I do not schedule the lectures, and I do not bother synchronizing them with the reading. We listen to most of  them in the car.

We are using The Humananistic Tradition, volumes 2 & 3, which I am surprised to not see mentioned more often:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Humanistic-Tradition-Book-Civilizations/dp/0073523976

the link is to amazon, but older editions are easily found used; I've had much more luck at alibris than amazon. I never heard of it till I happened to see it at Barnes & Noble.

We are using it as our spine, and adding additional books and resources to certain topics. I really like the way it incorporates literary excerpts, pictures and discussions of important artwork, and even music (if you get the CD as well). The basics are covered, and we expand from there. If we are going to read an entire work, we can simply skip the excerpt.

No schedule, and no milestones, and no "on track". We start at the beginning, and we get as far as we get. 

I explained in my other post responding to Pretty in Pink  that I do not schedule the lectures, and I do not bother synchronizing them with the reading. We listen to most of  them in the car.

Thank you so much for this, Regentrude. 

Your practicality always arrives when I am most in need of it. :tongue_smilie: