Menu

Saxon Alg 1- AoPS Alg 1 s&s comparison?

Honestly, I doubt that this would be possible.

I have used AoPS with two students, and I have looked at the table of content of Saxon algebra 1. I do not see how it would be possble to "align" the texts, since Saxon uses a spiral method, doles out incremental portions of each topic, then moves on to an unrelated topic, while AoPS teaches one single concept to mastery befor moving on. Moreover, AoPS gives problems to the student up front before the theory is dicussed - you'd have to  take apart each section, possibly into individual problems, in order to chop it finely enough to correlate to Saxon's lessons.

Also, AoPS Intro to Algebra does not cover any of the geometry topics that are interspersed in Saxon algebra.

May I ask why do you wish to correlate the texts?

I cannot see how you could possibly do that. In addition to what regentrude said, don't forget that Saxon integrates their geometry course through algebra 1, 2, and advanced math, so you would really need to break up the algebra AND geometry courses. 

If you're trying to supplement Saxon with more challenging problems, I would look through the AOPS book and pick out some specific problems rather than trying to line everything up. I'd also consider the first competition book as a source for supplemental problems (as it was originally written for talented students who had been in a regular curriculum and wanted to do competitions).

If you're trying to supplement AOPS with more drill, I would recommend choosing a different text such as Lial, Foerster, or in general any algebra book which follows a topical organization rather than incremental.

If you're trying to line up two kids to save time on teaching, these programs are too dissimilar. Economize in other areas instead.

It's for a class that uses Saxon, but I'm trying to align to use AoPS text instead. It does look messy. Maybe picking Alcumus topics? I'm happy to hear any suggestions.

The philosophy and learning styles for Saxon and AoPS are diametrally opposed. AoPS is a discovery based curriculum geared towards students who are very good at math, love it, and want to spend more time going deeper and further - the level of the problems is not comparable to Saxon, because the target audience is not the "typical" student.

Saxon is a good program for students who prefer direct instruction as opposed to discovery, and who learn well with a spiral method as opposed to mastery.

The student choosing a Saxon class will be a very different student from the student choosing an AoPS class.

The very methology in the setup behind a Saxon class will differ from the methology and setup of an AoPS class- you can't just simply exchange books.

If you want to enrich the Saxon class by adding AoPS problems, you might want to have a look at their problem solving books.

But I do not believe there is a way to work both in parallel.

I'm kind of confused. Are you trying to align to have your kid working out of AOPS while the class does Saxon but still covering the same topics in the same order?

I *really* think adding topics out of their problem solving book would be a much better idea than trying to re-wrap their algebra text.

What is the goal you have with using the class, but also using the AoPS books?  Why is your kid in the class?  Part of a larger coop day?  To get support from someone else's teaching?

What are you wanting to get out of the AoPS book? 

Very few of the chapters in AoPS would respond well to moving out of order. 

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Long story, but the class is a kind of gateway or proving ground and will allow access to more options in the future. We are AoPSers. My face fell when I learned the text was Saxon so I am trying to make it work. I will look at Jacob's Alg since it is available at our library. Perhaps letting the teacher select Alcumus sets- the AoPS online problems that are categorized by topic and adjust in difficulty level to the student- will be an option. If I figure out a way to do this I will share what we did.

My dd is doing Saxon 8/7 this year. If she does well and moves onto Algebra next year, I have been considering having her take AOPS algebra online once she completes Saxon. Then, we will move on to Saxon alg 2, followed by the online AOPS class (if the first AOPS class was successful). My dd is young and I feel like we have plenty of time to do this, especially considering Saxon integrates geometry.

Another thought: Instead of trying to coordinate two entirely different algebra programs, or trying to use the AoPS algebra text as a supplement (difficult), consider having your child take the AoPS online MathCounts/AMC 8 Basics class. The only prerequisite is prealgebra, and their contest based classes don't require textbooks or as much homework as their subject based classes. You don't have to sign up for the contests themselves if you're not interested; you still get the benefit of the learning either way.

This is what we did in the 'old days' before AoPS had their introductory series of textbooks. The class teaches a bit of all the introductory topics: algebra, geometry, number theory, & counting/probability. Most kids in the class are schooled kids looking for enrichment, too, and that AoPS flavor. The community aspect is also fun - my kids loved it! :001_smile: