Menu

7th grade plan

goldielocks

So how does this sound for dd?

Bible - SOS 6 (overview of OT and NT)

Math - Teaching Textbooks 7

Lang Arts - LLATL, Cozy Grammar, Daily Grams 7

Writing - IEW (Have level A. Would that be too young for her? She loves reading and writing stories.)

Spelling - Spelling Workout G (great speller, so we just study words she doesn't know)

History - MOH 1

Science - Apologia General w/ notebooking journal

Logic - Mind Benders

Art - With Co-op, 3D book building, like this: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/

Music - Choir at Co-op

PE - Want her to get back in to gymnastics cause she's good at it... we'll see...

IEW is less about grade level and more about writing ability. Do you have the Teacher Intensive? I would watch it and see if you need to start from A, but it is easily adaptable to different ages. You would just use more difficult passages and expect more from them as far as the dress ups and such go.

IEW is less about grade level and more about writing ability. Do you have the Teacher Intensive? I would watch it and see if you need to start from A, but it is easily adaptable to different ages. You would just use more difficult passages and expect more from them as far as the dress ups and such go.

I wouldn't do level A of IEW with a 7th grader, especially given your description of your daughter and the fact she appears on grade level in grammar.  It would be better to go with level B or C -- you can review the samples on the IEW website to see which would be a better fit for her.

I agree that IEW Lvl. A would be waay easy for her.  I did it last year with my very, very writing challenged son (the blank paper, lots of tears one)  and had my 3rd grader to it with him (this son enjoys writing) and felt like I should have done Lvl B with both. 

• 1 month later...

You have every major base covered well. :) Why three sources of grammar?

LLATL isn't sticking... I added Cozy Grammar for fun visual reinforcement and Daily Grams for more review.

As of today we're tossing LLATL... maybe looking into using Analytical Grammar. I don't know if I feel comfortable using only Cozy Grammar. 

You can totally do level A and beef it up like you are planning to.  In fact, I do believe that there are articles on the yahoo group in the files section (with the helps you need) that show you just how to do this.  The teaching is the same, only the articles used are different for each level. So you would watch the video in your level A, and then just hand the child a different article than the one that is given in the program.  Hope this helps! 

Dee 

Since we're needing to buy Analytical Grammar (unless there's a similar, cheaper option out there), I can't afford to buy IEW B or C right now, so I will beef up IEW A... Then buy another level when we can.

Thank you all for your help!

I agree with the others who said SWI level A would be too low for your DD. SWI placement should be based on reading level, not writing ability. Each SWI level assumes no prior experience, and they start from the same place. In other words, you don't progress from A to B, you just jump in as appropriate.

My DS used SWI-B as a writing-reluctant 5th grader and it was great for him. He had plenty to write about, just had a hard time organizing his thoughts . . . a problem for which SWI was fantastic.  Level A sources would have been too young. For a 7th grader who is a good reader (not sure from your description if likes to read or is an advanced reader?) I might even consider level C.

If you bought SWI-A new, IEW has a fantastic return policy. You can return it even if you've used it.

If you bought SWI-A used, consider re-selling it to recoup your money if that would enable you to buy B or C. The re-sale market is typically very strong for SWI sets.

For a great speller, you might consider shifting towards a full-blown vocab program, especially at this age, rather than spelling. Although I know the upper levels of SWO do shift focus to roots and stems so that's good.  IMO, your plan looks good!