Menu

Can you please help me with 9th grade English?

I could use a set of "experienced" eyes to look at my plans for 9th grade English and help me make a decision. Its our first year, I'm still learning and I am not sure if I'm doing this right. I'll give a little background on how I got to this current plan:

I originally had planned for her to take English Honors thru FLVS. I liked the idea of her having a teacher to answer to, not me =) BUT... After looking at their syllabus I realized it was going to be WAY too much reading for her on top of Ancient History readings. She is interested in studying Ancient History so we are going to have her do MOH vol1 and possibly vol 2 with a more in depth study on Egypt and Greek Mythology. She has expressed interest in workbook type curriculum's also, SOOOO I am thinking of getting CLE's English 1.

(I bought CLE LA 400 for my 4th grader and she peeked through and is pretty happy with it.)

CLE English is just 1/2 credit (grammar, essay & speech). They recommend taking their Literature units for the other 1/2 credit but its not mandatory and I'm not interested. The other 1/2 credit for English is listed as 10th grade. 

I also am VERY interested in getting her Ancient Literature Supplements with Grammar & Composition by MFW, it looks like a perfect fit with MOH. And they said it can stand alone as it is their spine for the English part of MFW. 

So looking at the scope & sequence of both above choices I have a dilemma, I have no idea how much is too much or if its not enough.

If anyone has viewed the above curriculums:

should I get CLE English 1, 9th and 10 grade AND the Ancient Lit supplement? Or should I have her just do CLE English 1 9th grade only along with the Ancient Lit supplement? Or is the Ancient Lit supplement enough on its own? 

Advice would be very much appreciated, I'm stumped on this one!!

I'm not an expert, but I do have the MFW AHL Lit & Supplement as I'm trying to plan myself for high school.  The Lit & Supplement has reading comprehension to go with the reading assignments to go with the various books they study in depth, grammar integrated throughout and the writing/composition focus is on learning and practicing the persuasive essay (the Notgrass is the history spine and would be the short essay answer type things)  A lot of the essay questions tie in with the Bible.

I think it would be too much to do the MFW and CLE.  I don't have any experience with CLE, so can't give input there.

Hope this helps a little in your decision and hopefully you'll get more responses.

Paula

If you already have grammar covered I would recommend Windows to the World by Liesha Myers. It is an introduction to literary analysis using short stories.

There is a syllabus available from IEW that schedules it and provides grading rubrics. That schedule includes about a dozen weeks of another curriculum but you can also just start at the weeks for W2W. The IEW syllabus adds the novels To kill a Mockingbird and Jane Eyre and the play Hamlet.

You can also just use the student and teacher book for W2W without the additional syllabus.

I didn't need the syllabus for teaching helps. But it was helpful in reminding me what was appropriate for high school. I tend to be a hard grader without such a check.

I'm not an expert, but I do have the MFW AHL Lit & Supplement as I'm trying to plan myself for high school. The Lit & Supplement has reading comprehension to go with the reading assignments to go with the various books they study in depth, grammar integrated throughout and the writing/composition focus is on learning and practicing the persuasive essay (the Notgrass is the history spine and would be the short essay answer type things) A lot of the essay questions tie in with the Bible.

I think it would be too much to do the MFW and CLE. I don't have any experience with CLE, so can't give input there.

Hope this helps a little in your decision and hopefully you'll get more responses.

Paula

Thanks Paula! That is helpful. Its sounds like I can use it as a full English course without Notgrass as the spine? I guess my next question would be....does anyone know where i can view the table of contents for AHL supplement? 

If you already have grammar covered I would recommend Windows to the World by Liesha Myers. It is an introduction to literary analysis using short stories.

There is a syllabus available from IEW that schedules it and provides grading rubrics. That schedule includes about a dozen weeks of another curriculum but you can also just start at the weeks for W2W. The IEW syllabus adds the novels To kill a Mockingbird and Jane Eyre and the play Hamlet.

You can also just use the student and teacher book for W2W without the additional syllabus.

I didn't need the syllabus for teaching helps. But it was helpful in reminding me what was appropriate for high school. I tend to be a hard grader without such a check.

Thank you, Ive been looking at W2W today...and omg it looks like this is exactly what I need. My question is, do I NEED grammar? My ds is just coming out of public school so I don't know if she needs to have grammar.

She's a smart cookie, was in all advanced classes and would be on an Honors course if she stayed in ps. I guess I can try to look up ps honors syllabus for English? ,(thinking out loud). Just when I think I figured out what I want...something new is presented to me LOL

Edited: is W2W teacher intensive?

This site has free grammar lessons and comprehensive quizzes and exams.  Having her do the quizzes and/or exams would probably help you decide whether you need to formally teach grammar or not.

When we pulled DS out of school midway through 8th grade, he needed the grammar. We worked through BJU Grammar 8 but it wasn't until we started using this site that things clicked. I think it helped that he knew immediately whether it was right or wrong, and he could go back through each lesson as many times as he needed until he understood it. 

This site has free grammar lessons and comprehensive quizzes and exams. Having her do the quizzes and/or exams would probably help you decide whether you need to formally teach grammar or not.

When we pulled DS out of school midway through 8th grade, he needed the grammar. We worked through BJU Grammar 8 but it wasn't until we started using this site that things clicked. I think it helped that he knew immediately whether it was right or wrong, and he could go back through each lesson as many times as he needed until he understood it.

This is a good idea, I'm going to try this out. thank you for sharing.