Menu

WDW and Eating Cheaply

Hunter's Moon

In 10 days (!!!!) we are leaving for Orlando. We are staying in a resort off site, but there is a free shuttle to and from WDW and Universal Orlando. There is a daily free breakfast, so that meal is covered. I am trying to figure out how to save money on lunch and dinner while there. We probably will not eat at the parks. I would really like to limit eating out, but we won't have a car so I don't know about stocking up on food to cook in the kitchenette. 

We are taking a plane, so cannot take much of our own food. 

What are some cheap places to eat, either in the parks, or in the area. 

Any tips for first time WDWers on saving money. 

Can we bring our own water/snacks into the park?

Thanks!

Will you have a rental car? You can go grocery shopping once you arrive. Publix is a nice local chain. There's a huge, fabulous Super Target out nearish Animal Kingdom Lodge. Wal-Mart in Orlando is one of the circles of hell, IMO. There's also a grocery delivery service called Garden Grocer if no car. It's recommended by disboards people and this blog: http://www.chipandco.com/4-quick-tips-for-saving-money-on-food-at-disney-world-11878/

You can bring in anything to the parks other than alcohol and weapons. I wouldn't try to shuttle back and forth for meals, just bring a picnic with you. :)

Edited: read more closely and saw no car. You'd be limited to what's in walking distance to your hotel other than WDW restaurants, then? Definitely arrange Garden Grocer delivery.

There is also free shuttle to the Premier Outlets in Orlando, and there is a Publix about 1 mile away. We could walk there and back to the Outlets for the shuttle, I suppose. I will have to check out Garden Grocer, though. Thanks!

That's not a pedestrian friendly 1 mile walk. There are two outlets, so I'm not sure which you mean, but both are on very busy, divided highway type roads.

Have you checked disboards? There is a budget forum with some passionate (or crazy ;) ) hard-core Disney peeps.

On property, Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney is a good value. They offer a AAA discount too, if you happen to have AAA. In MK, Cosmic Ray's has some large meals you could share. Pesos Bill's has burgers and taco salads with a toppings bar. I think you can order double meat on the taco salad, then load up on toppings. In Epcot, the counter service in Morocco has a large combination platter that is shareable. Part of the fun of Epcot is getting a snack from different countries. The Sunshine Seasons food court in the Land has semi-reasonable options. In Animal Kingdom, Flame Tree BBQ has larger meals you could split. Though it seems the portions have gotten smaller. I guess a way around increasing prices? This site has up to date menus with prices: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

There's no cheap eating in Disney.  Even the fast food type places, ie cheeseburgers, fries....cost us about $50-60 for a family of five.  And it's mediocre food.   

Leaving the park for a meal will cost you a good 2-3 hours of day time.  By the time you catch the shuttle, get to the hotel, eat, get back on the shuttle, etc.  Doing it for two meals,  waaaay more work then it's worth.  You'll lose the value of the tickets in the time wasted, IMHO.

We always do breakfast at the hotel.  Fill 'em up!!!  Then we do a late-as-possible lunch...say 1p-2p.   Then we may do a snack about 5p-6p...and then do late dinner out at a restuarant (or back in at the hotel if it's with kitchen).  That's if we don't plan on staying until park closing.   If we do plan on staying to park closing (which happens more and more often as our children get older), there's really nothing to do but eat two meals there, because our people get grumpy when hungry, lol.

There's no cheap eating in Disney.  Even the fast food type places, ie cheeseburgers, fries....cost us about $50-60 for a family of five.  And it's mediocre food.   

Leaving the park for a meal will cost you a good 2-3 hours of day time.  By the time you catch the shuttle, get to the hotel, eat, get back on the shuttle, etc.  Doing it for two meals,  waaaay more work then it's worth.  You'll lose the value of the tickets in the time wasted, IMHO.

I agree.  I think getting to the store w/o a car and going back to the hotel for meals are both really unrealistic.  You would lose so much time I don't think it would be worth it.  The grocery delivery & taking food in to the park is doable, although I've never done it.

I hope you have a great trip!  Let us know how it went!

You can't bring glass in the parks either, just to add to the list above.  But a picnic is great if you are trying to save money since they allow food and drinks in the park.  What about a taxi from one of the shuttle drop offs to a grocery store?  Garden grocer might be easier.  You can put some things in your suitcase as well, if you needed to (obviously not the fresh stuff).  A lot of people do this though, with needing groceries while there, you should be able to find some great info at disboards!

If you have a fridge, I'd take a cab to a local grocery store.  Plan to take a meal to the parks each day.  Preferably dinner.  Lunches are cheaper.  

Our lunches when we are off property and have a fridge are chicken sandwiches (chicken from rotisserie chickens - yum!), chips, a veggie, and a fruit.  We bring string cheese and nuts as a snack.  Bring empty water bottles and fill them everywhere.  I know you can get free water at the restaurants, but I don't want to wait in line each tine I need a drink.  So, I carry an empty water bottle.

If you don't have a fridge, I'd just buy snacks.  ALL the snacks and side dishes for your meals.  Then, buy your main dishes at the restaurants and supplement.  It's worth the cab ride.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply. A very comical bat fiasco here.

The hotel rooms have fully equipped kitchens.

I am bringing Roasted Soy Spread and crackers in my suitcase. Maybe some fruit snacks.

I am going to see if MIL wants to go half with me on a cab to Publix and back. May be cheaper than Gardeb Grocer, because looking at the foods I would get, their prices are kinda high, plus the $14 fee.

I appreciate the advice! DH and I still need to make an itinerary, so we can plan food and eating out around that.

We were at Disneyland in CA, but we brought our own lunches into the park every day.  Pretty much cheese sandwiches, gorp, and apple slices - they didn't require a cooler.  We only ate at a restaurant once for dinner (the night we stayed for the fireworks), other nights we went back to where we were staying.  We did have a car, though - we went to a store and stocked up once we were there.  Is there a grocery walking distance from the hotel?  You'd probably only need to go once if you have a decent sized fridge in the kitchenette.

We use sego shop.com. They will shop at any store(s) you want and just charge you a % of the total. We have used them for years and always been very happy.

I would not go off site to eat. You are talking HOURS out of you day. I don't think the prices are that outrageous. The meals are huge so we always share a coupel entrees with the 5 of us and are usually stuffed. My husband and I will share the 1/2 chicken meal at Cosmic Rays in Magic kingdom. Best deal on property. In Epcot we eat a Sunshine seasons. We eat breakfast in the room, lunch at 2-3, and dinner around 8, if at all.

A cab is $30 minimum wherever one goes.  I agree with Samiam who said there is no cheap eating in DisneyWorld.  All the prices are now ridiculous and the quality has really gone down.  Here's a few pointers:

1.  I like your idea of packing nonperishable items in the suitcase.  You will need to take one extra bag anyway to hold all the junk you accrue as souvenirs.  Arrive with that bag full of food and then as you eat it, you will have room for the extra items you acquire.

2.  Eat your big daily meal at lunchtime.  It's usually a bit cheaper to eat at the sit-down restaurants at lunch.  Then at night, eat popcorn or the goodies you brought in your suitcase.

3.  Share as many meals as possible.  For example, Rainforest Cafe has ridiculously large portions.  Just get one item for every 2 people.

4.  Do not order appetizers.  You do not want to have leftovers after dinner.

5.  If you do order appetizers, make that the meal.  Many times an appetizer is cheaper than a meal.

6.  Do not order drinks including Cokes.  They are expensive and rarely offer refills.  Even at the sit down restaurants it's hard to get more than one refill.  Just order water at every meal.

7.  Review menus and prices before going into the parks.  They are posted online at the Disney site as well as many other sites.

8.  Gather information from the Disboards and the Mouse4Less. 

9.  Pack your own water bottles.  Buying a water bottle in Disney is expensive.

HTH

We also brought collapisable water bottles and drink packets - that way the kids were never thirsty. I carried a backpack with granola bars, cheese crackers, PBJ, Pringles (I know - gross - but the tube was less likely to crush). We also hit the dollar store and got the kids a daily candy treat - so they were excited about a treat without our having to buy it there. We split one-ish meal a day at the park (counter service) and had 1 or 2 sit down meals. For value off park we love Sweet Tomatoes. It's a soup, salad, pasta, baked potato bar that's fresh, cheap, and all you can eat. There's one near Downtown Disney and one beyond the AK park.

Some great advice already, but keep in mind that Disney will go thru every bag that you bring into the park. The more little organizing pouches and zipper places you have, the longer this will take. They allow you to bring in food and drinks but they want to see what you have first. Also, takes way too long to leave property to eat and return later so plan for the time. Personally, if I were staying in Orlando without a car I would relax a bit about trying to get a ton of food to your hotel and instead plan to share meals and pack snacks on the airplane. Without a car you will be limited to your hotel and wherever the shuttle will take you and expensive cab rides. At Epcot the Sunshine Grill is yummy and easy for sharing. Magic Kingdom I would eat in Tomorrowland and share, meals are huge and easily sharable. Do not buy water but carry water bottles. Animal Kindom I would share BBQ from the Flame Tree - it is so good and huge portions. Hollywood Studios has a lot of counter service places that are easy for sharing also, including turkey legs on your way to the Tower of Terror that are enormous and can feed 3, IMHO. Have a great time!!