Menu

Tomorrow is suppose to be our first day.

I'm exhausted. My plate has been overflowing. I have a lot to do still. I had decided to start history, geography, science and bible to ease into it. Now I'm thinking just history. Oh I don't know. I don't want to start on the wrong foot. I'm thinking maybe ill take the month of Aug to get into all of our subjects.

Anyone else ever not felt ready? What did you do?

We're starting physics tomorrow. I don't feel ready. But, if I think about what I need to do to get ready, I actually AM ready! 

Sometimes the planning takes on a life of its own. The goal isn't to plan indefinitely, but to actually implement. Is that the problem?
Or is there actually a list of things you need to get done?

We're starting physics tomorrow. I don't feel ready. But, if I think about what I need to do to get ready, I actually AM ready!

Sometimes the planning takes on a life of its own. The goal isn't to plan indefinitely, but to actually implement. Is that the problem?

Or is there actually a list of things you need to get done?

Things actually on to do list. However, I have enough done to start. I'm just tired.

I'm exhausted from all the planning/researching/putting together and feel I need a break! Yet there is no reason for us to not start tomorrow as we are ready. I just don't want to start. But then that may have a lot to do with the fact that this will be my oldest dd's last year and that fact really has me down lately.

I feel you. We have been reviewing and remediating this summer, and took a week off last week. We're just gonna pick up with our review tomorrow and really start start after Labor Day. So that means we are doing math, reading, science, history and touching on literary analysis topics while we read like characters, plot, setting, etc... After Labor Day, we'll add in language arts, music, art, nature study, composer and artist study and actually, start learning new concepts in the previous subjects mentioned.

I think easing your way in would be a great way to do it for you and them. Maybe, even make the first month a bit of a review of where you left off last year.

We are starting tomorrow but now I am wondering why we are, LOL! I ended up having to let my kids spend the night with an Aunt an hour away tomorrow evening so I can go to a homeschool co-op meeting tomorrow evening kid free. So, we will start tomorrow, take kids to my Aunt, not do school on Tuesday and start back on Wednesday.... I suppose tomorrow will be a very light day.

We are starting tomorrow but now I am wondering why we are, LOL! I ended up having to let my kids spend the night with an Aunt an hour away tomorrow evening so I can go to a homeschool co-op meeting tomorrow evening kid free. So, we will start tomorrow, take kids to my Aunt, not do school on Tuesday and start back on Wednesday.... I suppose tomorrow will be a very light day.

Any reason you can't just wait and start Wednesday? That sounds easier at this point!

We are starting tomorrow too. But I don't feel ready and not terribly motivated either. :(

Any reason you can't just wait and start Wednesday? That sounds easier at this point!

We are starting tomorrow too. But I don't feel ready and not terribly motivated either. :(

I would wait till Wednesday other than the fact that I gave them a date we would be starting..and I know if I let myself push it off to Wednesday, then I will say whats another week? and then push it till Monday... and then I will tell myself it is the week of both older boys bdays so why school that week and then I will push it to the next week and then will realize it is my husbands bday week and should postpone it yet another week LOL So, I think we will just squeeze in what we can. August is a crazy month for us and we vacation typically in October and then starting after Thanksgiving it gets crazy again!

So I decided to go ahead and start tomorrow but I changed our first week to a very light week. We are going to do cursive, read a book about living in Jesus' time, do some creative writing, read Seabird and do the BF map that goes with it (we didn't finish this before summer) and do some behavioral type things (setting routines, Internet safety, etc). Dd has a audition for a play on Wed. And her book club Friday.

We shouldn't have but 2 hours or so a day. That gives me the rest of the day to breathe and finish some things.

We actually started last week. Some things came up at the last minute (doesn't it always?) and I almost decided to push off a week or do a lighter load, but we stuck with it and did a full load all week. In the past when I've tried to ease into it, our year never goes well. This year, we are DOING IT! ***Battle cry***  If starting off light works for you, then you should do it! It just doesn't work well for me so we're pushing through the interruptions.

I've started previous years before I was prepared or focused and I did straggle a bit but picked up a few weeks in.

This year my dh has called a 2 week break as we've been doing light school through the summer. I've spent today copying all the kids activity student pages for their history. I'm spending this week organizing the school area & getting any curriculum we're not using put back up in storage. This is the first year I won't be copying as much as previous months as I've decided to have them use a spiral notebook. This has relieved a lot of stress on me, oddly enough.

We begin August 19th.

I started last week and did not feel ready. One kid was super excited and the other not so much. I decided to really work on getting our morning subjects going smoothly and it took all week. Most of them are independent but the kids needed me to explain the system and how our checklist system was going to work. It's been nice. Now this week we suddenly have to travel because oldest is sick and there are no good doctors in our town, so we're going to the capital 4 hours away. So that messes up the schedule.

I just keep telling myself to "just keep swimming", to not let the interruptions and unexpected difficulties to derail me, especially when the interruption is a very cute 1 year old. I had to totally revamp our schedule because of this little one year old and put all the mom-intensive subjects for the afternoon during nap time because she's so much work to keep her from getting into stuff and not hurting herself. So instead of breaking down in tears like I've wanted to, I'm just going to keep going and not push too hard that we burn out the first month, but take it easy and do the next thing, and just keep going! So, I just typed that because I needed a little pep-talk. :) Anyway...

Wooooo weeeeeeeeeeee it's a rough morning in our household. I have two willing, able and working hard. I have one dragging feet but working and the oldest traded places with his evil twin. You would think me requesting them to use graphing paper to do his math was the end of the world.

REMEMBER, folks, that part of the joy of Homeschooling is FLEXIBILITY. If you're truly not ready to start, don't! We were supposed to start last week but I wasn't ready, so we didn't. Need to start due to college prep schedule or other reasons? Start with a day or two of EASING into it. This is what we'll be doing this week. If you haven't had much of a summer break, give yourself permission to take one! Take a weekend or a cople of weekdays to go to the beach, an amusement park, drive into the mountains, something! We want our kids to love learning, right? Give them (and you!) breaks from it so their minds have time to assimilate all they've learned. And please let them be kids! :-)