Menu

Hands-On Equations - iPad apps OR home kit OR both?

kemilie

Hi,

I did some searches on the board but most of the posts I see that reference the iPad app for Hands-On Equations seem to be from last year when it first came out.

I'm looking for some advice - if I buy the iPad apps do I need the home kits too?  Is there separate value/learning they provide, or will the iPad app give me the same thing as the home kit?

Anyone who has both/can weigh in?

Thanks in advance!

We've only tried the free version of the iPad app.  I got the home kit used and much prefer that.  The iPad app felt awkward to use to me and the kids didn't seem that interested.  The hands on version was much more appealing.  But I have seen several people here say they really like the iPad app, so I think it depends on your style and that of your kids.

If you want the full use of the program, you will need to buy the Verbal Problems book since the app does not provide any word problems. And the app cannot be used to solve problems independently from the problems they give you, which means you could either buy their manipulatives or make your own, which is basically a laminated paper balance and some pieces that represent x, negative x, and numbers.

DD had way more fun using DragonBox than the HoE app, but she does enjoy manipulating the pieces to solve problems. In that regard, I really think HoE Verbal Book gave her much more confidence in solving word problems. She does better with the balance than with SM bar models. If you want to teach how to solve for x in an equation and you want it to be fun and effective, I would go with DragonBox because it will take you farther.