Menu

Starting a Secular co-op and it's already driving me nuts!

radiobrain

I don't know why I do this to myself. 

In town there is a HS "school" that sucks up all the people who would normally go to, or start a secular co-op. I am not interested in them, and am sick and tired of trying to morph or adapt to something else. So here I am, deciding that yes, if I want to do something I need to do it myself, starting my own frakking co-op. 

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

what a pain. 

It'll pay off in the end right? 

BTW, has anyone missed me? I have had a really horrid year. It is best that I wasn't hanging out here too much. Trust me. I think I might just start posting obscure 80's music videos. 

If I lived near you, I would join! 

I'm on the board of a secular co-op, and I'll be honest: It is very difficult. You have to want it really, really badly. Our founder and president is absolutely dogged; I can't believe she hasn't given up yet! But we're entering our third year now, and things are finally starting to smooth out some. Prepare yourself mentally for a lot of stupid BS, and just know that it WILL be worth it in the end. If you want more info, you can feel free to PM me and I'll give you some more specifics. But I know you can do it!

I'm sorry about your year  :grouphug:  I hope things keep improving for you.

Well, it can't have more than 30 kids, so that might help it not be so crazy. Or maybe it will make it worse, I really don't know until it it running. So far, I like everyone that I know and I am hoping that the ones I don't know aren't total douchecanoes!

And thanks about hoping my year gets better. It won't, but I am learning to cope with it a bit. 

Well, it can't have more than 30 kids, so that might help it not be so crazy. Or maybe it will make it worse, I really don't know until it it running. So far, I like everyone that I know and I am hoping that the ones I don't know aren't total douchecanoes!

And thanks about hoping my year gets better. It won't, but I am learning to cope with it a bit. 

Bummer, I'm sorry :( I hope everything is OK.

I did put "Don't be a jerk, be an adult." and "Wear appropriate attire. Costumes and capes are perfectly fine as long as you don't mind them getting dirty or damaged as we have many opportunities to go outside." into our policies.  :smilielol5:

I want to change jerk to douchecanoe.

It is far more vivid. 

Best wishes! A friend is organizing a small group of us into a small co-op this fall and I'm hoping it goes well. I think we have 7-10 families which sounds large already, eek, and I'm just a participant at this point (famous last words, right?).

It'll only get worse before it gets better, if it ever does.  There's ALWAYS, always, always drama going on behind the scenes.  This person doesn't follow through on what they promised, this person isn't happy with the follow-through, ie it's not meeting their expectations, this person is mad at this person, this person is mad at that person, this person etc etc etc.  Homeschoolers by nature tend to be independent thinkers, want to be in control of things, etc, thus why we've all verged from the normal schooling path.  Get a bunch of those type of people together to do something education-oriented, and they ALL have their opinions about something.  Every co-op I've been in or know people who've been in, there's always drama going on behind the scenes, and it always rolls up to the main person to handle.  

I belong to a secular group that is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. It has waxed and waned, but right now it is large with about 80 families. There is some drama here and there, but by and large much less than you would think, especially given that we have unschoolers to online schoolers and diverse political opinions. It is such a wonderful community for my family and I am so appreciative of it. I hope your group flourishes!

I think you are wonderful for starting it!

I don't really know the first thing about co-ops, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think maybe it'd be good to make your teachers do a syllabus, with info about how they are going to grade, if at all, and what sorts of assignments they will be requiring, as well as late papers/homework policy. If everyone gets a copy and if the teachers stick with it, it can make thing easier. There's always one who thinks rules don't apply to her little darling, tho, so keep in mind how hard azzed you want to be.

My two cents.

I LOVE our co-op. Every parent is required to teach or co-teach, but you choose the classes you offer. You get to teach whatever you want provided there is enough interest to support a class. With every parent offering a class, and many doing 2-3, there is a lot to choose from. I don't envy the co-op organizer who has to fit everything into 5 class periods, but I think it works well for families who are flexible with their curriculum. If you're willing to have your middle schooler study chemistry this year because it's the science offered to that age group, it's great. If you're more rigid with your sequencing, you're probably not spending a day at a co-op anyway. I like that it takes a few core subjects off my plate and I'm good with not knowing until late spring of the previous year what those subjects will be. I appreciate that behavior, attendance, and work standards are set by the individual teacher. Our organizer has always insisted that every parent remain on-site during the entire co-op (Meaning while your kid is in class. If your kid is in one class and you teach that same hour, you don't stay all day. You just stay that hour.) I think that one policy prevents a lot of problems.

Thanks guys. I have it pretty simple in one way. I'm the boss, period. 

Also, it is only 2 class periods, with an hour of lunch and the first half of the day is all science. Biology Labs for ages 12+ and general science topics in clumped for the 8-11. I haven't decided WTH to do with the five 6-7 year olds. I already have teachers for these, so half the work is complete. We are dividing up the other half of the day into monthly subjects. Those classes will be age or interest based. It is also going to be held at a nature center and not only will the naturalists be available to us for free (teaching 3 classes per session, too. 3 more days I don't have to mess with) and when something gets mucked up, we can just go for a hike on the trails into the forest. 

I have 10-12 families so far. It needs to be full though or I will be paying the $$ difference which is not very cool. Not cool at all. 

I was supposed to finish a bunch of stuff for it today, but I ended up farting around. 

Good Luck! I belong to a wonderful, mid-size (about 20 families) secular co-op. We will be starting our 4th year in September.

Something to consider so you don't get stuck paying the difference: Each year we give an estimated cost to the members based on x amount of children. Once the class lists are finalized and we have an exact count (we lose a few and gain a few each year) we give a cost per child for the year payable either monthly or by the session.

Well, the venue will likely drop in cost dramatically after we get going. Once we get our "relationship" going, and they see we're not a bunch of spazzes, or spazzes that won't break their building, they will be dropping the price. 

I have a flat cost for 1st session, and a proposed cost with max. for second session. 

I am a bit irritated by the lack of high school age kids in this group though. Why do so many people chicken out for high school? 

Thanks guys. I have it pretty simple in one way. I'm the boss, period. 

Also, it is only 2 class periods, with an hour of lunch and the first half of the day is all science. Biology Labs for ages 12+ and general science topics in clumped for the 8-11. I haven't decided WTH to do with the five 6-7 year olds. I already have teachers for these, so half the work is complete. We are dividing up the other half of the day into monthly subjects. Those classes will be age or interest based. It is also going to be held at a nature center and not only will the naturalists be available to us for free (teaching 3 classes per session, too. 3 more days I don't have to mess with) and when something gets mucked up, we can just go for a hike on the trails into the forest. 

I have 10-12 families so far. It needs to be full though or I will be paying the $$ difference which is not very cool. Not cool at all. 

I was supposed to finish a bunch of stuff for it today, but I ended up farting around. 

That sounds really fun!  Hope it works well for you!