Menu

Heard from the NCAA

Blue Hen

DS is a rising senior and a competitive rifle shooter. I received an email from the NCAA that all my core course worksheets sent to them this past spring appear blank in their browser. So, this is a word of caution to all --- do not use their fillable pdf forms. I used a product called Bluebeam PDF Revu, SW I use all the time to write on my AP Stat students pdfs, and wrote on the NCAA forms.  When I look at these forms on my pc the information is there, but not for them.  All of DS CCW are in snail mail to the NCAA. 

NCAA did say that we could make our own form provided the form retains the same structure and requires the same information as their form.

This also must mean that one of the colleges we visited this spring has followed through on our request and placed DS on the institutional request list.  DS has an official visit lined up and we're waiting for possible visit dates from another college.  And one college we visited last month on an unofficial visit asked DS if an official visit was necessary or could they just proceed with making an offer.  :hurray:  Exciting times.

Carole

This also must mean that one of the colleges we visited this spring has followed through on our request and placed DS on the institutional request list.  DS has an official visit lined up and we're waiting for possible visit dates from another college.  And one college we visited last month on an unofficial visit asked DS if an official visit was necessary or could they just proceed with making an offer.  :hurray:  Exciting times.

Exciting times, indeed!  Best wishes to your younger son, Carole ....

Regards,

Kareni

I'm impressed that they contacted you.  I've called them several times, and while polite, always make it a point to say that they won't be working on the 2014 grads until the fall.  I thought I had emailed my core course worksheets, but it wasn't registered on the site, so I snail mailed them...to the general address instead of the homeschool address.  They had not distinguished the CC transcript from the PS transcript when they received them.  Now it shows that they have no transcript from me, though I sent it twice.  I didn't use their format or approved courses.  I just wasn't going to change the names of outsourced classes like Exercise Physiology & Sports Medicine or Western Humanities: Ancient to Renaissance for them.  I'm curious to see what will happen with that.

That is awesome that someone has already contacted the NCAA about your son.  I've asked our HS coach to mention to college coaches that the process may take longer due to hs'ing, but I'm not confident that he does.  And no college coach has so much as hinted at an official visit.

Good luck!

Our Core Course Worksheets are still not showing up on NCAA site however both my transcript and the one from the CC are showing up as received. I received that same message from the NCAA--they won't look at CCW until the fall, late fall.

One thing about rifle, there aren't a lot of rifle shooters out there but then there aren't that many schools with a rifle team either. When we went to our first 'college' night at Camp Perry last year the message was, if you want to be on a Div 1 rifle team in college you can be on one, just don't expect any funding. DS has been the top or second to the top Junior shooter at several recent National matches so that has attracted the attention of the coaches. (Navy and Air Force both called however DS has a medical condition that prevents him from serving :mellow:   We visited several schools this past winter and spring, had a visit with the coach on each campus (permitted in the Jr year by NCAA rules), sent the coaches match scores and updated the coach via email regarding match shooting results. I'm sure this helped to keep DS name in front of the coach, letting him know that DS was looking at 'his' school. Unfortunately by NCAA rules there is not a lot of athletic scholarship money available but DS really wants to be on a rifle team in college.

Good luck to your son too (and you). It's early August so there's lots of time and the school year hasn't begun yet.

Our Core Course Worksheets are still not showing up on NCAA site however both my transcript and the one from the CC are showing up as received. I received that same message from the NCAA--they won't look at CCW until the fall, late fall.

Could you keep us updated on when the NCAA looks at the CCW?  I don't have any idea what the typical time-frame is on that.

My boys were with a friend last week.  He graduated from a local ps in June, has a full-ride to a Div I school and still does not have final NCAA approval.  I have no idea what the hold-up is, but their friend is worried that he is not going to get clearance and will not be able to begin college later this month as he can't afford the school without the scholarship.

I can't imagine that this situation is normal, but having some idea of when approval is usually granted would be helpful.

Good luck to everyone who is going through the process this year.

Could you keep us updated on when the NCAA looks at the CCW?  I don't have any idea what the typical time-frame is on that.

My boys were with a friend last week.  He graduated from a local ps in June, has a full-ride to a Div I school and still does not have final NCAA approval.  I have no idea what the hold-up is, but their friend is worried that he is not going to get clearance and will not be able to begin college later this month as he can't afford the school without the scholarship.

I can't imagine that this situation is normal, but having some idea of when approval is usually granted would be helpful.

Good luck to everyone who is going through the process this year.

My understanding is that when a college places a student--a rising senior-- on their 'institutional request list' the NCAA then, and only then, will look at the student's academics and provide a preliminary certification. I just checked the NCAA and my son's CCW have not been looked at.

I was verbally told by the NCAA to expect this review to occur in the late fall because right now they are working through the high school graduates. NCAA also said that some kids do not receive their final NCAA approval until well into their first college term.

I was verbally told by the NCAA to expect this review to occur in the late fall because right now they are working through the high school graduates. NCAA also said that some kids do not receive their final NCAA approval until well into their first college term.

Thanks for this information.  I am surprised by the timeline.  I would have expected that the students would have obtained approval before they began college.

My understanding is that when a college places a student--a rising senior-- on their 'institutional request list' the NCAA then, and only then, will look at the student's academics and provide a preliminary certification.

This is my understanding as well.  I just talked with them again because it says they have not received my homeschool transcript.  They have but it won't be marked complete until it's reviewed which won't be until (see above)...

Can you hear me hyperventilating?  :svengo: :scared: :willy_nilly: :ack2:

Can you hear me hyperventilating?  :svengo: :scared: :willy_nilly: :ack2:

That's me too!!!

I sent all of DS' core course worksheets in--all15 of them, including the ones for his senior year classes. I figure that iffffff we get reviewed this fall I will hopefully have a really good idea if DS has met the 16 core course requirement. He'll also have 7 classes from the CC that 'should' satisfy NCAA course course requirements. I would *think* that NCAA would review these at the same time as their review of the course course worksheets, but maybe that is asking too much. Hyperventilating is a quite common activity for me these days too.

Ack.  I'm hyperventilating on your behalf too.  I have a suspicion that NCAA doesn't make things super clear on purpose, because then it would be easier for those of ill intent to game the system.  The one thing that gives me solace if we end up on this road is that while I've heard all sorts of grumbling about the process, I've not heard stories of actual homeschoolers who submitted their stuff and then were denied.  Though I'm keeping an eye on things now that they have added the worksheets and are scrutinizing "non-traditional" classes.

• 5 weeks later...
This also must mean that one of the colleges we visited this spring has followed through on our request and placed DS on the institutional request list.

Ds and dh went on an unofficial visit to a D2 school today.  I had written down for them to ask the coach to "place ds on the institutional request list" (copied from your post).  They asked, and the coach did it immediately.  SCORE!  :hurray:

Just had to share...

Ds and dh went on an unofficial visit to a D2 school today.  I had written down for them to ask the coach to "place ds on the institutional request list" (copied from your post).  They asked, and the coach did it immediately.  SCORE!  :hurray:

Just had to share...

YEA!!!! :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

An update for us ..... DS has 3 official visits scheduled and 1 school asked if an official visit was necessary or if DS had visited with the school and team enough. The coach said he would be making an offer without an official visit so DS opted out of that visit.  It is going to be a very busy fall but at least DS has all his college applications in.  Now for him to do exceptionally well on the ACT and SAT tests so that merit aid $$$ come in.

Now for him to do exceptionally well on the ACT and SAT tests so that merit aid $$$ come in.

I sat ds down the other day and explained how, although he has a respectable ACT score, he is just an average student at the academic D3 schools that are courting him.  Then, I showed him the $40,000+ tuition and he immediately agreed to my request that he take the ACT one more time to try to increase his score in hopes of obtaining more merit $$$.