Menu

School Profile ?

Gwen in VA

Today is School Profile Day at my home. (This is requiring a lot of tea and may require some chocolate!)

Having done an internet search on homeschool school profiles, I have found that I should consider listing the achievements of my older kids in some way. (This obviously wasn't an issue for kid #1 or kid #2, but kid #4 has siblings with track records....)

I am trying to imagine how to phrase the show-casing of the older kids' achievements --

1) Over the past seven years, our homeschool has had it students accepted to Prestige School X, Awesome School Y, and Snooty School Z. Student #1 is now pursuing Prestigious Degree G, while Student #2 is now pursuing Prestigious Degree H.

2) Among our graduates we are happy to include Kid #1, who has a degree from X and is doing Y and Kid #2, who has a degree from Z and is currently doing Z. By the way, their average SAT score was well above average, .....

None of this seems interesting, relevant, or real. To me it just reeks "show-off"! I realize that our homeschool's average SAT score is ridiculously high, but I cannot think of any reasonably polite way to actually list any of this material on a school profile that doesn't come across as pretentious. I tend to think that we will skip that part. Does anyone know of a POLITE way of saying, "Our older kids were successful, so this one probably will be too"? Any thoughts?

And does anyone know of any good thought-provoking sites about homeschool profiles? I could use some inspiration! (I found this site helpful -- http://www.matthewktabor.com/college-application-overview-for-homeschoolers-the-school-profile/)

It didn't even occur to me to include anything about my older kids.   I haven't written mine formally but it has been percolating in my brain for about a month.   I was planning on writing our educational philosophy (which is individual focused) and how we pushed our students to excel in their weak areas and let them actively pursue their strengths, interests, etc.

I would love to know others' thoughts on this.   Did you include older siblings?

Actually, I *do* think the information is relevant. You are demonstrating that your former graduates have been successful - which means, you probably are not a screw up homeschool, LOL.

If you do not want to list all the schools your older students were accepted to, you could state matter of fact:

"Our homeschool has graduated two students. Student # 1 has graduated from school #1A is currently  pursuing degree # 1B at school #1B, student # 2 is..."

The judgement "prestige school" or "prestigious degree" may or may not be made by the reader. But the information

"my older kid got into a selective school and has graduated and is now doing grad school at another selective school" does speak for the quality of your home education, and should be included - every private school is doing the same.

If colleges solicit this information from public and private schools and use it to form an opinion about the school quality, I do not see why a homeschool, with a good track record should not have the same advantage.

I'd draw the line at listing an average SAT score, simply because I do not find averages meaningful for so small numbers. Seeing what schools you olders attended will speak for itself.

ETA: To clarify: the above is what I would do, not what I have done, as only my oldest will be graduating next year. But I include information about out family size and homeschooling a younger sibling.

For what it's worth (which may be nothing, since my son hasn't begun applying to colleges yet), I included the following blurb in the school profile I've written to go with his applications:

"Son will be the OurLastName Academy’s second and final graduate. In 2007, we graduated our daughter, Daughter, following her admission to the Snooty-Sounding Early College Program, an early entrance program based at XYZ College. Daughter graduated from XYZ in May 2011 at age 16 with a B.A. in Theatre."

I did not include averages of our "school's" ACT or SAT scores, but I did include information about average scores for our state, because our son's scores look impressive by comparison.

I agree with Regentrude.  I think one of the things such a listing says (if applicable) is that you know how to create and execute a challenging course of study that prepares students for college work.  I think this is exactly the same reason why traditional schools list such things.  Or why they include lines about SAT scores, AP courses and how many graduates go onto 4 year college.  Or why they include information about student demographics including race, foreign language, and free lunch status.  It puts the school achievements into context.

I think Margaret in CO lists the significant schools that accepted her older kids (not only the schools they attended).

I'd like to piggyback a question on to this thread:

Some homeschoolers list area demographics (minority composition, percent free lunch, average public school test scores) in their profiles. I understand that this is partly a way to highlight the challenges the local public school has to deal with, and to show that the homeschooled student did significantly better than the average ps student.

Would you include such information? In which cases?

In particular, would you include information about the school's percentage of test takers and average scores if your student's scores are in the 99th percentile, so a comparison with any public school average would be moot?

I am trying to streamline our paperwork; I would like to include everything that is pertinent, but get rid of all excess information.

Should I include that he has an older adult sibling who is disabled? I will say that coping with his brother's behaviors has shaped the empathetic nature that ds possesses.

Also, how about moving across the country, his having finished courses in one state with the highest grade in Those classes, living in a hotel with his dad while starting classes at the university in the new state, moving into our new home in Feb, and still maintaining the highest grades in those classes? (And at both unis, most students were college sophomores or jrs). The move was a major upheaval and, on top of everything, we are suing the former homeowners for fraud----unfortunately the situation is bad. :(

Should I include that he has an older adult sibling who is disabled? I will say that coping with his brother's behaviors has shaped the empathetic nature that ds possesses.

Also, how about moving across the country, his having finished courses in one state with the highest grade in Those classes, living in a hotel with his dad while starting classes at the university in the new state, moving into our new home in Feb, and still maintaining the highest grades in those classes? (And at both unis, most students were college sophomores or jrs). The move was a major upheaval and, on top of everything, we are suing the former homeowners for fraud----unfortunately the situation is bad. :(

Yes!

I would include this kind of information in the counselor's letter, not in the school profile. It highlights challenges your son has overcome and puts his impressive achievements even more into perspective. I would definitely mention his disabled sibling and the influence on your son's personality development - having grown up with a mentally disabled brother I know how that changes family dynamic.

I do not think I would put this information in the school profile - but I don't see anything wrong with doing so; it certainly gives pertinent background information about your homeschool . I'd just prefer the more personal counselor letter for this because I'd feel there I can address the personal aspect relevant to my student better than the more global effect on the entire homeschool, if that makes any sense.

Our school profile was just about how our school worked; personal stuff about my children went into the counselor's letter instead.

We did have a short blurb on the front of the School Profile titled "XXX School History", which was simply one paragraph long. So, on child #2's profile, this section had a sentence about what child #1 was doing: "Child #1 graduated from our homeschool in 2006 and is currently a rising senior in program xxx at University xxx, where he carries a GPA of xxx."

I had another short section at the end of our profile where I listed average test scores for the SAT, ACT, AP (overall avg only) and SAT 2s for our homeschool. I looked at several public and private school profiles online & found that sort of info was commonly given.

I chose not to list the demographics or avg test scores of the area where we live. Lots of people do so, though. I just ran out of room & that info didn't seem to add anything of value in our particular case.

More details on my School Profile in post #8 in this thread.

I got a giggle from one of the actual schools who bragged about their teacher's all have BA's. Our school can say that, too, and the principal has a juris doctorate. That just makes me want to laugh. Not only do we have a "rigorous" course of study, but all our students are ready to argue with you!

I got a giggle from one of the actual schools who bragged about their teacher's all have BA's. Our school can say that, too, and the principal has a juris doctorate. That just makes me want to laugh. Not only do we have a "rigorous" course of study, but all our students are ready to argue with you!

We have been joking about this, too.

In our home school, all teachers, and even the lunch lady and janitor, have a PhD ;-)

We have been joking about this, too.

In our home school, all teachers, and even the lunch lady and janitor, have a PhD ;-)

:lol:

If we are eating out at lunch and someone asks about school. I always ask them if they like my school cafeteria. 

Yes!

I would include this kind of information in the counselor's letter, not in the school profile. It highlights challenges your son has overcome and puts his impressive achievements even more into perspective. I would definitely mention his disabled sibling and the influence on your son's personality development - having grown up with a mentally disabled brother I know how that changes family dynamic.

I do not think I would put this information in the school profile - but I don't see anything wrong with doing so; it certainly gives pertinent background information about your homeschool . I'd just prefer the more personal counselor letter for this because I'd feel there I can address the personal aspect relevant to my student better than the more global effect on the entire homeschool, if that makes any sense.

Our school profile was just about how our school worked; personal stuff about my children went into the counselor's letter instead.

We did have a short blurb on the front of the School Profile titled "XXX School History", which was simply one paragraph long. So, on child #2's profile, this section had a sentence about what child #1 was doing: "Child #1 graduated from our homeschool in 2006 and is currently a rising senior in program xxx at University xxx, where he carries a GPA of xxx."

I had another short section at the end of our profile where I listed average test scores for the SAT, ACT, AP (overall avg only) and SAT 2s for our homeschool. I looked at several public and private school profiles online & found that sort of info was commonly given.

I chose not to list the demographics or avg test scores of the area where we live. Lots of people do so, though. I just ran out of room & that info didn't seem to add anything of value in our particular case.

More details on my School Profile in post #8 in this thread.

Thank you both for the replies.   I like this approach.   I will include a blurb about that our oldest and our #3 are doing now that they have graduated in the school profile and I will mention the compassion our ds has towards his older brother in the counselor letter.     

FWIW......I am really dreading writing both and have put them off repeatedly.   We have already started back to school and part of me just wants to play ostrich.  :P

..I am really dreading writing both and have put them off repeatedly.   We have already started back to school and part of me just wants to play ostrich.  :p

I hear you. I started weeks ago and have a draft for both; I keep returning and fiddling with it every few days, but don't have the heart (yet) to finalize.

Of course my overachieving DD has started setting up her Common App yesterday, the day when the new version came out (which was not a god idea, server issues and glitches; she put it on ice for a few days).

I think I need a fixed deadline and it will get done. Right now I am wasting time playing with fonts... But hey, at least I have the transcript pretty much in the shape I want.

Many thanks, ladies. School Profile Day was a success -- I have two SP's written!

All of this advice plus a few sample profiles has done wonders. The chocolate didn't hurt either!

When dh arrives home, he will hopefully stare at both and provide some perspective. (This may require more chocolate as a bribe!) But I am declaring success -- either one of them, with some polishing and proofreading, is submittable. (Is there such a word?)

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread.

I've seen the shiny brochure our local ps sends in the envelope with transcripts.  It's teacherspeak and hogwash if you ask me, but whatever.

So what do homeschoolers send if their school has not thus far produced academically successful graduates (my older dd did far better at home than in the public school, but not enough for me to even graduate her, while my youngest prefers college courses but is that even homeschool?).

Any samples of describing a school without describing former graduates?  I'm sure many folks here are describing their very first graduate, too.

Reviving this thread.

I've seen the shiny brochure our local ps sends in the envelope with transcripts. It's teacherspeak and hogwash if you ask me, but whatever.

So what do homeschoolers send if their school has not thus far produced academically successful graduates (my older dd did far better at home than in the public school, but not enough for me to even graduate her, while my youngest prefers college courses but is that even homeschool?).

Any samples of describing a school without describing former graduates? I'm sure many folks here are describing their very first graduate, too.

Julie, I did include info on my 3 graduates, but it was very brief and if this had been our first graduate, I wouldn't have changed what I had written and that info could easily be removed and not really impact the profile.

I focused on why we started homeschooling and how long, my educational background, how my personal views toward education dictate how and what my children study, how I determined what classes I teach vs. outsource, and where/with whom ds has taken his outsourced classes.

Fwiw, I did not write mine as a laundry list or in a formal manner. I wrote it conversationally. I don't know if that is good or bad, but it is what seemed to best demonstrate how we function.

Any samples of describing a school without describing former graduates?  I'm sure many folks here are describing their very first graduate, too.

My profile fit that description.  If you (or others) would like to see it, simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regads,

Kareni

My profile fit that description.  If you (or others) would like to see it, simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regads,

Kareni

I just wanted to say that Kareni very generously shared her school profile document with me a couple of months ago, and I found it extremely helpful when I sat down to draft our own.

Thanks so much, Kareni!