Menu

need a kindy math program

angelmama1209

right start is too teacher intensive, i just don't get miquon, and i have trouble converting mep for homeschool use. my odd uses mm, but it doesn't start until 1st grade. what else is out there that's good?

eta:  what exactly is covered in kindy math? she is an older kindy (late birthday) so maybe she could start mm1?

I totally agree with what you said. You could have her try the MM1 and go slow. Here are some options, too.

Singapore Essentials A and B are very good and cheap.

http://www.christianbook.com/essential-math-kindergarten-a/9781932906141/pd/906141?item_code=WW&netp_id=830098&event=ESRCQ&view=details

Bob Jones Kinder wkbk (I bought just the wkbk for my daughter to do the pages. I explain things as needed as we go along.) You can also see the Table of Contents.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Math-K5-Student-Worktext---3rd-ed.____1390951

right start is too teacher intensive, i just don't get miquon, and i have trouble converting mep for homeschool use. my odd uses mm, but it doesn't start until 1st grade. what else is out there that's good?

eta:  what exactly is covered in kindy math? she is an older kindy (late birthday) so maybe she could start mm1?

I could have written every word of that post!!!

I really want to love RS but I agree, it's sort of a nightmare to work with. Instead of using RS-A as is, I'm just pulling out the concepts it covers and teaching those to ArtsyGirl myself. I'm trying to limit us to 5-15 minutes a day (granted she's only 4 so there's truly no hurry). We play games and work on concepts. Once she's mastered what's in RS-A it appears we can move to SM1.

Horizons K is straightforward and relatively cheap.

I am finishing up the old Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten (which seems to be a more colorful version of Singapore Essentials). It's just a worktext with the instructions at the bottom of the page, and it works fine. We use manipulatives like Cuisenaire rods to reinforce the number bonds and such.

My older-K DD is enjoying MM1. Well, I only bought the Addition 1 so I could try it out with her for a few dollars rather than buy a whole grade level without know how it would go but she is a workbook kind of girl and MM has a lot of problems and simple reinforcing game suggestions and she is just delighted. Additionally, it's simple for me.

You could use MM1 if your child isn't afraid of a lot of problems on the page and likes workbooks. The presentation isn't as kid-friendly as some other programs, but it's rock solid math and easy to teach. You can go to MM's website to see what K math covers: http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/kindergarten.php

I used Singapore Essential Math K for my youngest two's "K math" level. I really like it. I tried RS A with my middle son, but I hated teaching it. I hated all the manipulatives (needing different ones each day!). I hated all the copying that needed to be done (should have copied everything before school started or bought that packet of already-made copies). I hated that I never had any idea what concept would be taught next. I hated that they taught 5+3=8 without ever *showing* it first. And most of all, my son just wasn't learning anything from it. I later learned that he really needs manipulatives combined with pictorial examples. That helps him the most. So Singapore it is! I added C-rods to the K book when we got to book B (no manipulatives were needed for book A). Book A goes by fast and is pretty easy, but book B slows them down. The instructions are on the bottom of the page with ideas for extra stuff you can do if needed. The books are relatively cheap ($20 for the set). And moving into Singapore 1A was seamless for my middle son (youngest is still using the K book - he'll do 1A next year). Singapore matches the way I want to teach, and all my kids have done well with it so far. We used MM early on to accelerate my oldest to where he really was, and I like it a lot too. My kids just prefer the presentation of Singapore and having fewer problems in an exercise.

Your DD may be ready for a grade 1 math program, and that's ok too! I'd just check the MM list of K topics, and if she has those covered, feel free to move into any grade 1 program.  To the K list there, I like my kids to also understand basic place value of numbers 1-100. I used a 100 chart to teach this, along with straws and coins. Each day, we put a new number on the chart, say the number as "23, 2 tens 3 ones, 23", and then add a straw and a penny to our previous days' piles. Bundle every 10 straws, so it's obvious that you have 2 tens and 3 ones. Exchange coins for bigger coins when able. By time we got in the 30s, my middle son finally had a click, and he understood place value. I said the place value of each number *several* times when discussing them. I felt monotonous, but it worked. :D

We used McGruffy for K and 1st. It's fun, easy to implement, not overwhelming for the child, and it use's games/manipulatives to help solidify the topics.

While it may look too easy, it was extremely effective for my ds at the time who had no problems moving to MM in the 2nd grade.

I felt this program was great for the kindergarten age/attention span.

I used Horizons K along with Singapore 1A and I really have not known what is taught in K Math that is not essentially repeated in grade 1 Math - they seem to learn to count (preferably to 100), write their numerals, know shapes and colours and start basic addition and subtraction. They should also be doing a lot of work on patterns visually which in grade 1 should then become patterns with numbers. They also make sure that they know tall, short, big, small, up, over, under, on and other prepositions.

I am not sure, but I think they are also supposed to start skip counting in K, some type of measurement and the beginnings of telling the time though many of these are actually easier if done later (especially the time part). While my DD did do Horizons K, most of what was in the first book we had already covered just by playing with numbers around the house and I am beginning to believe that K Math can be taught entirely without a curriculum and just by playing games and then they can easily jump into a first grade curriculum in their kindergarten year.

I started ds w/ first grade math, RSB, as he was older for his grade as well and it worked fine. Personally, I like RS but agree that it is teacher intensive. I tried RSA last year w/ dd and I really didn't like it at all. We are now doing RSB after some waffling on my part and it is going much easier as I have some nice big drawers for our manipulatives and all my copies from last time, so it is really open and go- I pull out the manipulatives I need and we're ready. I found that MEPR was pretty easy to use and lovely but if she is older K, she is probably past it. MEP1 was not as intuitive but w/ the teacher's book I didn't find it to be bad.

There is also Math in Focus, you can view the whole program online to preview if you like.

I also agree RS is teacher intensive, but I wanted to mention that after that first kid it's soooo much easier. We only did RS A before moving on to Singapore, but teaching it to my youngest (2 years after her brother did it) was so much simpler since I already understood the concepts, activities, etc. We only did it twice a week to finish the first level in a year and just played games (or did nothing - ha!) on the other days.

Hope you find something that works great for both of you!

Loved Saxon for K-3. It's one of those programs with loveit/hate it reviews. K is simple, hand-on, and clever. We used it a year ahead, so we used Saxon 1 for K. Still had manipulatives, playful approach, etc. We just thought it was excellent. If the lack of color bothers you, you can do the worksheets in colored pencil.:-) OTOH,Saxon K only has a few worksheets and is only three days a week, if you feel you need a gentle intro, or if you want to combine with other ideas, such as Lentil Science, lots of cooking, making a graph a week, using a clicer/counter to keep track of something, etc.

We are also using BJU Math K5, and we like it. My little guy likes the colors and the pictures, and I like the simple mastery approach. If your DD is hands-on, however, you'll have to add that yourself as BJU is simply a workbook.

I only have the student worktext, though (now that I think about it). If you also had the Teacher's Manual it may give you the hands-on aspect. But seriously (unless you can get it used), who's going to pay $70 for a K Teacher's Manual? :lol:  That's just funny.

Ooops. Yes I meant McRuffy. :blush:

That's ok. We forgive you. LOL!

Hey....totally beside the point...but why do my smileys not work at all here anymore? Anyone else with this problem? TheApprentice just posted a blushing smiley. This is also why my font is no longer purple. That doesn't work either.

OK...back on topic. I totally agree with McRuffy. I love their K math. Cute, colorful, and fun. My other favorite for K is Moving With Math.

She could use MM1 as others have said.

We tested Math in Focus over the summer (bought books used on Amazon)...and all the kids really liked it.  Very colorful and well done.  Is it worth the full price? No...but for used prices (and a new workbook from CBD), it is.

DS2 used Saxon K-2, and really liked it.  It worked well for him... the spiral approach, etc.

Singapore Early Bird is great and affordable too.

Of course, you could just play around with manipulatives (counting bears, popsicle sticks, etc.), work on the calendar, shapes, etc. and be pretty much fine.  Counting to 100, counting by 10s, counting by 5s.  Addition of basic numbers up to 10.  Really basic subtraction.  Everything is repeated in 1st grade math, just at a faster pace.

Here's the scope and sequence for Saxon K-4.  That will tell you what's typically covered in a Kindy program.

http://saxonpublishers.hmhco.com/HA/correlations/pdf/s/SaxonIntScopenSequenceNEW.pdf

Saxon math K and 1 is a different manipulative every day approach that is teacher intensive. That was my problem. I never knew what was going to be next. I switched to mm and love it. We do keep one stick of linking cubes handy in case he needs a hands on example.

FYI: we did saxon k (which should be called preK IMO) and saxon 1 (which should be k). my son learned a lot but I wanted more order (stop jumping around) in the approach for my sanity.

I've come to realize that everything covered in K math is repeated for first.  After using a variety of K programs, I decided to be less formal with my 3rd child.  We tried Miquon and I couldn't get into it, then we spent the rest of the year with a couple of Kumon books.  This year, for 1st, she'll be using MUS Alpha.  

I found RS A too teacher intensive as well.  We also didn't care for Saxon's constant jumping around.  Singapore Essentials was okay, but it was a bit workbook-y and didn't challenge my DS very much.  I'm hoping we'll like MUS...My older two used Gamma last year and I think the program is a good fit for us.  I also think it is large family friendly and you'll soon have lots of little ones to teach!  

No it's not burn her at the stake... lol  Ok just kidding.  It's actually a common occurance, calling it McGruffy, I think it's partly because of McGuffy and also McGruff the crime dog.. since a dog is a big theme in McRuffy.  But heck what do I know, besides McRuffy is an awesome, hands on, fun and easy for mom kind of math that should be more popular.

You would say that.  Let everyone know that ~AprilMay~ is more forgiving than FFF.  :lol:   Just kidding.  Btw.... :seeya: .  Haven't talked to you in a long time.  :rolleyes:

PS....I switched over to firefox and the smileys and font colors work.  I do love my smileys. 

:party:

My ds hated math until we tried Mcruffy Color Math.It is fun hands on, easy, stress free and effective. Both my dc love Mcruffy and are thriving with it. I have heard alot here recently that it is advanced which really surprises me because my dc have never hit a bump in the road with this curriculum. I do feel they are advanced in math but Mcruffy really makes it simple and not a big challenge to do well with math.

Good point. That is also one reason all my kids are using BJU Distance Learning for math now. It gives the whys and makes more sense to all of us how the information is presented. 

Ah, I opened this thread at the wrong time!  

I spent part of today looking into McRuffy Math for my upcoming K'er.   And just when I was content with sticking with what we already have (just a cheap-o workbook), I read all these raves for McR.  

*sigh*

Now I am interested again.  (And for my oldest DD, too.)

*double sigh*

And just when I was content with sticking with what we already have (just a cheap-o workbook), I read all these raves for McR.

Oh the lesson to stop looking when you already have a plan. Like I'm all set to use the SM Essentials that I have and now wondering if I should just do MM1 instead since I have it too. Then I could save the Essentials for youngest dd next year.... But no, I made a plan and I'm sticking to it!

Oh the lesson to stop looking when you already have a plan. Like I'm all set to use the SM Essentials that I have and now wondering if I should just do MM1 instead since I have it too. Then I could save the Essentials for youngest dd next year.... But no, I made a plan and I'm sticking to it!

Yeah... I'm not even going to mention that I threw my hat in the HSBC ring and committed to buy MM when it hit 50%.  Sheesh.