Menu

Final Questions about Lial's and Foerster's Algebra I

I think I have finally narrowed my choices down to these two texts and have a few final questions about each one:

1)  Lial's Introductory Algebra 8th edition paperback ---  a friend pointed out it doesn't include naming polynomials using the words "Linear, Quadratic, Cubic, etc..."  Is it ok if that topic isn't in an Algebra I book?  Any other topics that you know are not in Lial's that should be added in using an extra resource?  I've never taught Algebra so I wouldn't know if a topic is missing or if there is a topic that could be saved for Algebra II.

I've read that a positive thing about Foerster's book is that the Quadratic Formula is taught early on; Lial's book presents it in the last chapter.  Are there major pros or cons to either sequence?

2)  Foerster's Classic Edition Expressions, Equations, Applications (1999) --- one thing I like about Lial's book is that there is obvious review of previously taught material in between the chapters.  Do the exercises in Foerster's include review of past material and maybe just not as obvious as the review sections in Lial's?

I really appreciate any advice that would help me finally make a decision.  Why is this soooo tough?  :confused1:

~Melissa

I personally like both texts. 

Lial DOES use/teach correct terminology.  Chapter 3 is LINEAR equations... chapter 5 teaches how to classify polynomials (binomials, trinomials, degrees and such).

Lial is set up for block scheduling-- so one teaching lesson is about 2 days of homework (odds typically assigned).  There is a great chapter review before the test and a cumulative review (from previous chapters) after the test.

Foerster's is set up for daily lessons (again odd's typically assigned).  No official chapter review (some statements about the chapter but no problems).  No cumulative review.

I would enjoy teaching from the Foerster's Algebra 1 program-but I would NOT like teaching from their Algebra 2 text.

I like Lial's Intermediate Algebra over Foerster's Algebra 2. Foerster's Algebra 2 is a HUGE leap in presentation and expectations from their Algebra 1 text-- It is heavy on word problems and sometimes this causes students to stumble because they are not sound in their understanding of the concept.  Lial has plenty of word problems-- and I like the method used to teach the organization of word problems as well.  Lial reviews Algebra 1, goes deeper into the concepts then shows how the concepts/processes work in application (word problems).  In other words Lial will 'work' for a wider varitey of student learning types than Foersters (at the Algebra 2 level). 

Both programs get the students to the same place-- ready for Pre-Calc.

The placement of the 'holy' Quadratic Formula is varried from text to text. It is perfectly fine if the Algebra 1 text does NOT cover it (I do like that it demonstrates an application of roots/radicals). Lial's 8th edition Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1) is set up so students work without exponents first (this includes Linear equations) then move on to exponents and polynomials.  Once that foundation is laid then roots are introduced and finally quadratic functions (and processes like the Quadratic Formula and Completing the Square).   I personally believe roots/radicals are easier to understand when the student has a good grasp of factoring. 

Forster's places the quadratic formula earlier in the text (chaper 6 of the edition I have) right along with basic factoring of quadratics.  This is mainly so students can use it by default for all of their factoring needs if they can't factor by guess and check (the other way they teach factoring).  Nothing wrong with this.  Students who can learn another method (besides the Quadratic Formula) will have no need for it until the last chapters in the text.  So the placement really is a non-issue for this method.

2)  Foerster's Classic Edition Expressions, Equations, Applications (1999) --- one thing I like about Lial's book is that there is obvious review of previously taught material in between the chapters.  Do the exercises in Foerster's include review of past material and maybe just not as obvious as the review sections in Lial's?

We used Foerster's but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. 

In the Foerster's teacher text, they list what problems to assign each class period.  Some of the problems are from the current lesson, some of the problems are from previous lessons.  So, the review is there, but you won't know it if you don't have the teacher text.

That said, we did not follow the instructions in the teacher text.  On 8FilltheHeart's advice, we did either the evens or the odds for each section and ALL the word problems. 

HTH!

If it matters, there are programs to supplement Foerester's.  I'm specifically thinking of Math without Borders DVDs.  I am not certain if there is any type of teacher supplement to Lial's.  We tried Lial's for my rather non-mathy daughter and switched quickly.  We are just in the third chapter of Foerester's for my mathy son. 

I own a DVD set for Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra, Fourth Edition.  I stumbled upon it on ebay and grabbed it up, then purchased the student and teacher's texts.  I have not reviewed the DVDs, as I was purchasing for the future, so I cannot speak to how well done they are, but I wanted to mention this so folks know it is "out there".

I own both texts but ended up going with Foerster because I really wanted a high school text and I think the word problems are just plain fun yet challenging.  I do like that Lial's had many easy and affordable resources available such as solutions, dvts, and tests.  My 2nd ds is preparing for algebra next year and I did splurge and buy the tests from Pearson to use with Foerster.  I also own Math Without Borders, but not all students may need that.

As far as review, Foerster's doesn't have a specific cumulative review like Lial's which would have been nice.   I may have ds this year do a review after each chapter by assigning an few even problems from previous chapters as usually they are only assigned odd the first time around.  Oh, and I did like the Quadratic Formula earlier because my guy's brains start slowly shutting down by May/June and new material doesn't sink in very far.