Menu

X posted - Need recs for World War 2 history books for a 10 year old

We are studying Modern history this year, including the World Wars.  My 10 year old has taken up an interest in WW2, particularly Nazi history.  I am walking a fine line between giving him the information and not showing him "Saving Private Ryan", as he is still emotionally a ten year old boy.  His reading level is late high school.  We are using SL's Core 7/H for history and literature next year, but my guy wants more WW2 specific materials to read on his own time.  We have several DVD series on wars and WW2, which he also enjoys.  We also plan to visit a very small Holocaust Museum in Dallas next year.  Ideas?  Recommendations?  Books, materials or DVD's are all welcome.

Well, this list is clearly for a 10 yo girl, but I thought some of it might be interesting for you!

1.      Topic: World War II

Themes:  Total War, The Individual vs. the State, Technology

Core Texts:

The Century 5 – Over The Edge 1936-1941

The Century 6 Global Nightmare 1941-1945

YPH 16: WWII & The Cold War

Primary Sources:

World War II: The Definitive Visual History (DK book)

GAD 156 – Einstein-Szilard Letter

GAD 160 – FDR’s address after Pearl Harbor

GAD 165 – Telegram re: Hiroshima

GAD 168 – Surrender of Japan

GAD 172 – Surrender of Japan

Witness Ch 27 – The Second World War

Assigned NF:

Paired readings:

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler’s Shadow – Susan Bartoletti

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During The Holocaust – Doreen Rappaport

Number the Stars – Lois Lowry

The Winged Watchman – Hilda Van Stockum

Paired Readings:

Remember Pearl Harbor: American and Japanese Survivors Tell Their Stories – Thomas B. Allen

Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American incarceration – Joanne Oppenheim

Early Sunday Morning – Barry Denenberg

Hiroshima (Yep) -- WW2 after math of Japanese atomic bomb victims come to US for treatment

Assigned Fiction:

Lily’s Crossing – Patricia Reilly Giff

The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World – EL Koningsberg

Carrie’s War – Nina Bawden – English children sent to country during blitz

Escape From Warsaw (Serrailier)-- Polish children surviving without their parents during WW2

Winged Watchman (Stockum) -- Danish families under Nazi WW2 occupation

The Endless Steppe (Hautzig) -- Russians banished to Siberia during WW2

Gaudy Night – Dorothy Sayers

Movies:  Casablanca

To Each His Own

They Were Expendable

Stalag 17 (1953) -- POW camp in Germany

The Great Escape (1963) -- POW camp in Germany

These books were the best of the bunch last year:

Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust by Doreen Rappaport (was almost too much for dd at points)

Hitler Youth: Growing up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti (very powerful, excellent paired with Beyond Courage---she read the related chapters from the two books at the same time)

Remember D-Day:Both Sides Tell Their Stories by Ronald Drez

Remember Pearl Harbor: Japanese and American Survivors Tell Their Stories by Thomas Allen (this and the D-Day book are juvenile nonfiction so they do not go into horrid details)

And some documentaries focusing on the role of women:

Fly Girls (about women pilots)

Top Secret Rosies: The Female Computers of World War II (women who did all the calculations, by hand, for bombing runs--also addresses women involved in early years of computing)

You can see I got some of my ideas from Luckymama!  ;)

GAD is Great American Documents: The Landmark Documents In Our History by Quercus Press.  I picked it up at a library book sale for $2, and it's awesome!  Maybe your library would have it? It's a nice companion to Am Hist that we'll revisit in high school.

Agree with the above, and also recommend Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop, which is a true story about Jewish children hidden in a Catholic boarding school in a small town in France.

Also, the documentary, Escape from Colditz, about British prisoners of war who secretly built an entire glider plane in a World War 2 prisoner of war camp in order to escape. I think you can view it on YouTube:

Thank you both.  This should keep him busy for a while.  ;)

My dh is a history buff and owns a lot of books, but none of them are written with a 10 year old in mind.  Dh found a book for him on war strategy entitled How Hitler Could Have Won World War 2 so he is busily reading away at this, but he is asking for more so thank you for the recs! 

Girl stuff is just fine, too.  The "Rosie the Riveters" were a big part of the story. 

Agree with the above, and also recommend Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop, which is a true story about Jewish children hidden in a Catholic boarding school in a small town in France.

Also, the documentary, Escape from Colditz, about British prisoners of war who secretly built an entire glider plane in a World War 2 prisoner of war camp in order to escape. I think you can view it on YouTube:

Thank you.  He will eat this up.  :)

There is a NOVA show that might interest your son:

NOVA: Hitler's Sunken Secret

Here's a link to a teacher page in case that interests you.

Have these books been mentioned yet?

North to Freedom also called I Am David by Anne Holm

Graphic novels by Art Spiegelman

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History

and

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began

Regards,

Kareni

War Boy by Michael Foreman (picture book, using with my ds10 this coming fall)

Twenty and Ten

The House of Sixty Fathers

Snow Treasure

The Diary of Anne Frank

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Voices of World War II: Stories from the Front Lines

We just finished WWII. I was intimidated by the subject, thinking that there wouldn't be much that is age-appropriate. How wrong I was! Little Riders, House of Sixty Fathers, Twenty and Ten, Snow Treasure, Silver Sword are all great. My all-time favorite is The Hiding Place which comes in book, audio book, radio theater, or film. It has strong Christian overtones in it.

Here are some others your son may like

Michael at the Invasion of France. Its about a 13 year old boy. http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Invasion-France-1943-Wartime/dp/0803737246/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O934O7T7CWH6&coliid=I29CC0OOV4KOFA

The World War 2 book for kids is pretty good. It talks about a lot of areas of the war and isnt childish for 10. http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Invasion-France-1943-Wartime/dp/0803737246/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O934O7T7CWH6&coliid=I29CC0OOV4KOFA