Menu

Please suggest some books that are 2nd grade reading level, but 4th-6th grade (girl) interest level!

ereks mom

Do you know anything she has been able to read and has enjoyed to help guide ideas?

www.highnoonbooks.com specializes in "high interest / low level" books.  You can use that term to look for other things also.   

Something by Francesca Block like Weetzie Bat might also fit if not too mature or still too hard to read for her.

oh, that's hard. my dd is like that, she's 14, reading on a  4th grade level with interest on a sixth.

she enjoyed the ramona books a few years ago but wouldnt admit it.

Maybe Charlotte's Web? or Trumpet of the Swan? not sure if those are 2nd gr reading level but my kids still enjoyed those in the fourth and fifth grades.

oh, that's hard. my dd is like that, she's 14, reading on a  4th grade level with interest on a sixth.

she enjoyed the ramona books a few years ago but wouldnt admit it.

Maybe Charlotte's Web? or Trumpet of the Swan? not sure if those are 2nd gr reading level but my kids still enjoyed those in the fourth and fifth grades.

I was thinking about the Ramona books! I'll check the reading level, but I think they might be about right. I think Charlotte's Web might be 3rd--maybe even 4th--but I'll check that one too. Thanks! And if you have any more ideas, please let me know!

Do you know anything she has been able to read and has enjoyed to help guide ideas?

www.highnoonbooks.com specializes in "high interest / low level" books.  You can use that term to look for other things also.   

Something by Francesca Block like Weetzie Bat might also fit if not too mature or still too hard to read for her.

I had run across High Noon books in my searching, but didn't know anything about them. Thanks!

If she likes dogs, maybe either the Buddy Books series or Hank series would be accessible and funny for her.   There are also supposed to be some books that are a bit like Harry Potter involving magic and such, but much easier to read.  I don't know titles offhand.  We got a lot of help from a children's librarian.

Would Magic Tree House be too babyish?  If not, they start at 2nd grade level and go up to about 4th with the Merlin Missions and Fact Trackers.   They often give a bit of history and also sometimes other good things like exposure to haiku nature poetry in one, and so on.  If she did not feel they were too babyish, that would probably be my number 1 choice because of the extra learning about this or that real thing in each one and the existence of the companion Fact Trackers for many.  Also that it could take her from 2nd grade to 4th grade level within the series.