Menu

I need your ideas, please!

k2bdeutmeyer

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/

Here's a good site too.

Why not let HER sit down and write down a scope and sequence for all the home ec skills she wants to learn.

Such as:

Week 1: Quick Breads;

Week 2: Pies

Week 3: Vegetables

Then you can assign her research reports on those topics.  Like for the quick breads, she can write a description of what makes a quick bread leavened, common quick breads, blah blah blah

Veggies--common veggies, how to prepare them, safety,

Sewing--there's lots of youtube tutorials and TONS of stuff on pinterest.  She can cover garment construction, embroidery, mending, button sewing, etc,

Let her do the organizing framework, and you add in the "academic" part of what home ec would be.

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/

Here's a good site too.

Why not let HER sit down and write down a scope and sequence for all the home ec skills she wants to learn.

Such as:

Week 1: Quick Breads;

Week 2: Pies

Week 3: Vegetables

Then you can assign her research reports on those topics.  Like for the quick breads, she can write a description of what makes a quick bread leavened, common quick breads, blah blah blah

Veggies--common veggies, how to prepare them, safety,

Sewing--there's lots of youtube tutorials and TONS of stuff on pinterest.  She can cover garment construction, embroidery, mending, button sewing, etc,

Let her do the organizing framework, and you add in the "academic" part of what home ec would be.

I really like that idea.  I might need to help her out a bit with options for the skills she wants to learn.  I'm not sure she knows enough to even know what she wants to learn, ya know?

I really like that idea.  I might need to help her out a bit with options for the skills she wants to learn.  I'm not sure she knows enough to even know what she wants to learn, ya know?

okay. Home Ec is my passion. ( I almost went to college for it.)

Ask her what she wants.

Cooking? Does she want to learn to bake? Cook full traditional meals? More of a gourmet type? Maybe just basic meals?

Does she want to sew? Sewing is a huge category. Garment construction, quilting, embroidery, repairs, alterations...etc. You and she could learn how to "make over" items that she finds in a thrift store, which, IMHO, is almost as valuable as creating garments from scratch, especially with the cost of fabric these days.

Nutrition...I'd almost make this a 2-3 week mandatory part of the curriculum.

Budgeting (another mandatory part) She should begin to learn about the "hidden" costs of running a household. Things like insurance, utilities, how interest can drive up your house payment

Decorating...she may want to learn how to refinish furniture, sew curtains, paint the walls, etc.

Babysitting...she's probably got this one covered, but she may need to do it to help pay for her projects. :)

Household maintenance and organization...maybe she needs to do all the organizing in the house for a few weeks.

First thing, for home ec? I'd set the gal up with a Pinterest account and let her start pinning.

okay. Home Ec is my passion. ( I almost went to college for it.)

Ask her what she wants.

Cooking? Does she want to learn to bake? Cook full traditional meals? More of a gourmet type? Maybe just basic meals?

Does she want to sew? Sewing is a huge category. Garment construction, quilting, embroidery, repairs, alterations...etc. You and she could learn how to "make over" items that she finds in a thrift store, which, IMHO, is almost as valuable as creating garments from scratch, especially with the cost of fabric these days.

Nutrition...I'd almost make this a 2-3 week mandatory part of the curriculum.

Budgeting (another mandatory part) She should begin to learn about the "hidden" costs of running a household. Things like insurance, utilities, how interest can drive up your house payment

Decorating...she may want to learn how to refinish furniture, sew curtains, paint the walls, etc.

Babysitting...she's probably got this one covered, but she may need to do it to help pay for her projects. :)

Household maintenance and organization...maybe she needs to do all the organizing in the house for a few weeks.

First thing, for home ec? I'd set the gal up with a Pinterest account and let her start pinning.

Oh....this is perfect!!  Thank you!!

Interestingly, we are also doing SL Core H this year.  :)  I will be on the lookout at HPB for the books you need.

A dear friend offered it to me....and my library has 1/2 the books.  This is new territory for me, but I'm actually quite excited to do something a bit different with DD this year :) 

A dear friend offered it to me....and my library has 1/2 the books.  This is new territory for me, but I'm actually quite excited to do something a bit different with DD this year :)

We are looking forward to it.  :)  We're SL users for the past five years so it is our "groove".

Okay....I've had time to sit down and make a chart with subjects and what has been offered to me.  Those that made offers, thank you so much....again!  I've contacted everyone, I think.....and I'm down to just a few things needed.  WOW!  What an awesome place this is.....I'm flabbergasted.

So....I have a list of books that my library doesn't have (from SL core H) that I still need:

Usborne Encyclopedia of World History 

The Iron Peacock

Madeleine Takes Command

In Search of Honor

Betsy and the Emperor

Only the Names Remain

Year of Impossible Goodbyes

Escape from Warsaw

The Breadwinner

A Murder for Her Majesty

Escape Across the Wide Sea

The Kidnapped Prince

The Arrow Over the Door

The Sherwood Ring

A Heart Strangely Warmed

Mary Jones and Her Bible

I Am David

Not necessary, but I'd still like to do Latin with both girls (they'd both be brand new), DD13 would like to do some sort of formal Home Ec type curriculum (yes, I know I can do this by just including her, but she wants something more structured), and maybe spelling with DD6, though I'm not sure that she's ready (she's still mainly reading cvc words).....but again, really not must haves.

Check to see if they can find the books through interlibrary loan.

If you haven't already done so, request that your library purchase the books that you need. I requested 11 Sonlight books I needed from my library and they immediately purchased 10 of them.

That is awesome--what a great library! Here they won't purchase anything not already in the catalog if it's been published more than a year ago. Tried it. And they won't let you have more than 10 requests in at a time. Oh well, it's still a decent library system.