Menu

Hot Pot recommendations?? Getting EK ready to move into the dorm! :O

ereks mom

I'm researching Hot Pots because I want EK to have one in her dorm room. She isn't permitted to have a microwave, although there is one in the common area down the hall. She loves tea, and will have a Hot Shot (http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-6131-Water-Dispenser-Black/dp/B000C3QSPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375304277&sr=8-1&keywords=Hot+shot) [No idea why I'm unable to use the link button, but I cut & pasted the URL here.] for heating water for tea, instant soup, etc.

Anyway, I was reading the reviews for some hot pots (URLs below), and apparently, some people use them for quickly heating soups or other foods that need to be boiled (eggs, pasta, etc.), and not just for heating water. Am I reading that right? If that's true, this is just what I'm looking for.

Is one of these any better than the others as far as quality, reliability, safety, etc? Do you own one that you'd recommend?

Rival Hot Pot: http://www.amazon.com/Rival-4071-WN-32-Ounce-Express-White/dp/B00006IUXU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Proctor Silex Hot Pot: http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-32oz-Hot-pot/dp/B004YTW58S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375304581&sr=8-1&keywords=Hot+Pot

Sunbeam Hot Pot: http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-BVSBWH1001-Electric-Hot-White/dp/B004IJ7FWU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375304116&sr=8-4&keywords=Hot+Pot

Thanks!

I saw an Alton Brown episode where he makes his hard cooked eggs (not boiled) in a hot pot.

Those are not allowed in my DDs dorm. They can only have a coffee maker that does not have a warming plate, so the Hot Shot you have linked would work. Luckily, grandma gave her an old Keurig to take to school.

I have no idea what is or isn't permitted in dorms, but I have the nifty Crock-Pot Lunch Food Warmer. It's not an instant heating thing though, it warms food over several hours - so she could put soup or stew in it in the morning and it would be hot at lunchtime. I like mine, it's very compact, easy to clean, cord wraps around it when not in use. Mini Crock-Pot

My dh used one in his old office building to heat water for tea.  The heating element was exposed inside the pot not below it; I wouldn't want to heat anything in it other than water.  It would have been impossible to clean; not that dh ever cleaned it.  It only lasted about a year, but he liked it. 

We have one here that is nicer and also use it for heating water only.  It was expensive, but the heating element isn't exposed in the pot.  I'm not sure I would heat anything other than the water in though, but then I have a full kitchen at my disposal.  In a dorm, I might think otherwise.

The student handbook says students are permitted to have "small, UL approved, electrical appliances with completely enclosed heating elements and small refrigerators... Appliances NOT permitted in traditional residence halls include electric skillets, electric blankets, microwave ovens, hot plates, toasters/toaster ovens, and any other item with exposed heating elements."

Does a hot pot have an exposed heating element?

I have the Rival one.  I only used it for heating water--but it would be fine for pasta (boiling pasta only)  and eggs.  I would avoid cooking anything 'saucy' as it would be a pain to clean because the bottom plate is not non-stick.

My dd found the common kitchen to be very useful-- not many students used it.  She had a small wagon to carry her supplies down in.  She did have a mini-fridge in her room as the one in the common area was NOT secure!  She cooked most of her own meals.

I have the Rival one like you linked. I've had for many years--at least 10. Still works great. The heating element isn't exposed; there is a metal plate inside (on the bottom of) the plastic pot. The heating element is inside the metal part. We only use ours for heating water. The cord is not detachable but I used to know a woman who used it for heating refried beans for parties. So as long as you're very careful when washing it, it could be used for cooking.

One possible issue: it doesn't automatically shut off when the water gets all boiled out. In case you're the highly distractable sort or think you can get a few things done while waiting for the water to boil. (Not me, but when dh puts the hot pot on I try to stay around the kitchen just in case. ;) )

Our friends kids bring them back unopened, unused.  Only a few colleges would allow them and the others felt the common kitchen was fine.  Does EK want one and think she will actually use it?

We talked about it, and she thought it was a good idea. In reality, though, I'm not sure how much she would use it. She enjoys baking so much more than preparing meals. :p

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-BF6138US-Balanced-1750-Watt-Temperature/dp/B0086UJQN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375333086&sr=8-1&keywords=t-fal+electric+kettle

Dd got this electric kettle. I don't think it has an exposed element but who knows how they define "exposed." She doesn't want a microwave, just something to heat water for tea. I know it's not a hot pot but you may be able to accomplish the same thing with this.

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-BF6138US-Balanced-1750-Watt-Temperature/dp/B0086UJQN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375333086&sr=8-1&keywords=t-fal+electric+kettle

Dd got this electric kettle. I don't think it has an exposed element but who knows how they define "exposed." She doesn't want a microwave, just something to heat water for tea. I know it's not a hot pot but you may be able to accomplish the same thing with this.

Electric kettles usually come to a temperature and then switch off.  That might not be what the OP wants for some of the dishes she mentioned.

I've had electric kettles for years and they are great - for boiling water and that's it.

L

Is she going to have a plan for dining? Does she currently eat eggs, stew/soup/ramen for snacks? I would not expect habits to change, if she doesn't.

That said, we've enjoyed our quick-heat kettle.

It's like Laura said, turns off when the water boils, and you just cover w/foil and double the time, like Mrs.Mungo said. It's very handy for coffee and tea--takes literally two minutes to boil about five cups of water. I don't know exactly what brand it is...says Goldline on it and is a stainless kettke with white plastic that you pop onto a burner that has a little raised circle on it. Very easy to clean. It's kinda like this onehttp://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-677-Cordless-Teakettle/dp/B0000E5IN3/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1375363907&sr=1-6&keywords=pitcher

My niece had one of these for college. The one thing she found was that she couldn't use it just for boiling water for tea etc after she had cooked something in it because the taste remained. But your dd has something else for boiling water for drinks so that should be ok.

She could cook pasta, rice, boiled eggs, etc backpacker style. You bring the water to a boil, put the thing to cook and the water in a pot, cover it with a lid or aluminum foil, double the usual amount of cooking time.

I have several of the Rival Hot Pots that I use in our camper.  They heat water very fast but I use this "backpacker style" method if I need to do any actual cooking because flavors and odors are difficult to eliminate from the plastic.