Menu

Peanut allergy sad story

mommybee

This is my biggest fear. I hate when non allergy parents tell me its no big deal she has an epi pen. It is a big deal. Yes I hate cooking all of her food due to allergies but it is what I have to do. One small innocent slip up and I could lose my baby girl.

Amen to this. I feel the same.

We just got back the annual lab results and they are getting worse, not better. I get tired of people encouraging her to eat things..'Oh, it's only a warning. They just do that to cover themselves. I'm sure it'll be fine." :willy_nilly:

Shut them down. Hard. They are endangering your child. That attitude rankles me too.

I found it especially important to note that, according to the article, she had never had this severe a reaction before the fatal incident. The escalating nature of food allergies is what people (the ones I know, anyway) have the most trouble grasping.

. My 13 yr old ds has a mild peanut allergy. I had no idea they progress. Guess its time to get an epi pen.

. My 13 yr old ds has a mild peanut allergy. I had no idea they progress. Guess its time to get an epi pen.

I don't think it always progresses, but escalating reaction with additional exposure is not uncommon. My allergic child technically mild to peanuts and more reactive to tree nuts. We take them all seriously.

I would definitely get an epi-pen. It is good to know that kids do sometimes outgrow the allergy. My kids tested as severe allergy with skin prick testing on 2 separate occasions to peanuts and tree nuts. His RAST was class 0-1 5 years ago and recently was Class 0 to both peanuts and tree nuts on 2 occasions. John Hopkins gave him a food challenge to peanuts and he passed. He also passed all tree nuts. I would consider follow-up with allergist and recommend John Hopkins if you can go. Also, there are promising studies of oral immunotherapy with peanut proteins and multiple doctors around the country offering this therapy as well.