Menu

Peanut allergy sad story

mommybee

http://www.modbee.com/2013/07/30/2834384/years-of-caution-about-peanut.html

This makes me so sad! I mean 3 epi pens and a 13 is still dead.

My oldest has a severe peanut allergy and now that he is an adult I'm even more scared for him because he gets too comfortable I think. He just had some weird reaction the other day out of the blue and we never did figure out if peanuts were the cause. 

I am so sad for that family.  To think she spit the food out and was fine for a considerable amount of time and they did all the right things and yet, she died.  Very scary.

Yes, my son had his first anaphylactic reaction at 4 mos old while teething on a bagel (to wheat).  I had never even heard of food allergies like that prior to his reaction.  We try to be so careful and have his epipen and benedryl all the time, but he has not had an anaphylactic reaction since he was a baby and his last severe reaction was many years ago..  Now, he fights me about carrying around the epipens because he is self-conscious about it.  I always print these type of articles out and read them with him.  They are a good wake up call for me as well because after so many years of carrying epipens and never using one, it is easy to become lax about it.  One thing that has made things better for him is the new epipens which are small enough that he can fit in his pocket.  For a boy, it is a big problem to carry the large epipens since he obviously doesn't have a purse and can't keep them in the car because of their sensitivity to temperature changes. 

The girl who died was a member of my family's church. We attended a vigil service for her on Sunday night. It was so incredibly sad. Her classmates were broken-hearted. I don't know the family personally but Natalie was very well loved at the school and church. I know everyone's hearts are aching for the Giorgis.

So sad. Reminds me of a recent post where other camps didn't even listen or answer emails about her concerns of her son's allergies. So sad that it takes a loss of a life, although rare, to actually get some people to realize how serious this is. I lost someone close to me because of a wasp sting and nothing worked. I'm terrified of them now, even though none of my children appear to be allergic. Poor family :(

We just got back the annual lab results and they are getting worse, not better.  I get tired of people encouraging her to eat things..'Oh, it's only a warning.  They just do that to cover themselves.  I'm sure it'll be fine."  :willy_nilly:

What a tragedy. My heart aches for this family.

However, I am thankful for the article. I have a couple of relatives in mind who really need to read it and start believing me when I tell them that my child's nut allergy is a real thing. I will be sending it along.

Sparkle, I am glad to know this family has a good support system in their faith community. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

What a tragedy. My heart aches for this family.

However, I am thankful for the article. I have a couple of relatives in mind who really need to read it and start believing me when I tell them that my child's nut allergy is a real thing. I will be sending it along.

Sparkle, I am glad to know this family has a good support system in their faith community. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

That is a very good idea.  I don't know if the people I have in mind are going to believe it even if it's in print.  My thoughts and prayers are with the family, but I did not read it--too much stress going on here as it is.  

So terrible.  My own peanut-allergic girl is 13 and it's far too easy to imagine it happening to her too.  I'm so sad for the family.

My peanut-allergic boy turns 13 next week.  This is SOOOO scary.  That poor family did everhthing right.  

So far, our scary reactions have all happened close enough to a hospital that we were able to get there in plenty of time.  But, I think that my ds is NOT scared enough of this.  Especially as he enters his teens.  He rolls his eyes at us when he has a bad reaction and is covered in hives and we insist he go to the ER!!!!   "I'm not clearing my throat because of the reaction!  It just itches!!!"  Yeah.  Right.  

My peanut-allergic boy turns 13 next week. This is SOOOO scary. That poor family did everhthing right.

So far, our scary reactions have all happened close enough to a hospital that we were able to get there in plenty of time. But, I think that my ds is NOT scared enough of this. Especially as he enters his teens. He rolls his eyes at us when he has a bad reaction and is covered in hives and we insist he go to the ER!!!! "I'm not clearing my throat because of the reaction! It just itches!!!" Yeah. Right.

I found it especially important to note that, according to the article, she had never had this severe a reaction before the fatal incident. The escalating nature of food allergies is what people (the ones I know, anyway) have the most trouble grasping.

Our new protocol as of her last allergy appt was skip benedryl for her peanut and eggs don't wait for reaction administer epi call 911 because those two you never know. Does anyone else have that protocol? The family followed our old and most likely what we would have done since with minimal reaction I would hesitake giving epi.... or so I thought

I wish I knew why it wasn't enough with the epi pen.

It can be so hard to tell what to do. The last reaction my son had he ended up with at least 5tsp of Benadryl. My pediatrician once told us that you can give quite a bit of Benadryl, not just the listed amount on the bottle. I wanted to use the pen but he was resistant so I just waited to see if his throat tightened up and luckily the reaction did subside. Scares me now though because I think he should have had the epi pen without any question. I hope the next time after reading this article he will just let me give it to him.

I don't know about other kids but with my son I can always tell exactly what is happening because his lips swell a bit but they turn a deep purple. His ears get purple as well. Because sometimes when it comes on it can seem like an allergy or asthma attack, but that is always a dead give away for him, even before he gets hives.

**TMI, but when my son had his anaphylactic reaction so soy, he literally threw up what looked like a dough ball. Just a clump that his body was rejecting. That time I sped him to the Dr and didn't even get to the epi pen, but his Dr told me from now on just give him the shot.

This is so heartbreaking and so disturbing. Should we just skip Benadryl and administer an epi pen immediately?

YES! This is what all the ER doctors and nurses, our pediatrician, and allergist have all told me.  Even if you aren't sure if it is a reaction, give it.  Benadryl won't touch many many reactions.

ETA: I've used an epi-pen on Dd twice.  Both times the hospital commended me for doing it and told me horror stories about cases where the parent did not.  Things can get very serious very fast and a reaction is harder to stop the further it progresses.

I don't know about other kids but with my son I can always tell exactly what is happening because his lips swell a bit but they turn a deep purple. His ears get purple as well. Because sometimes when it comes on it can seem like an allergy or asthma attack, but that is always a dead give away for him, even before he gets hives.

My son's reaction to dairy was clear. He'd have hives and a runny nose...every time.

His anaphylaxis to nuts was absolutely silent. The only thing was him telling us his throat was scratchy and he thought he was having a reaction. My husband questioned him and warned him that this wasn't something to joke around with.

There were NO symptoms we could see.

So don't get complacent.

Allergies suck.

We gave Benadryl, orapred, and were in the car to hang out outside the ER in case it was a reaction. I gave the Epi after he threw up. The hives finally appeared about 5 hours later and lasted 3 days.

From the article I read, it sounded like this family did everything they could.

The only thing I can take from it is never trust anyone. :(. And even then there are no guarantees.

The research that's being done does give hope that there'll be treatment for food allergies in my son's life. I sure hope so.

We gave Benadryl, orapred, and were in the car to hang out outside the ER in case it was a reaction. I gave the Epi after he threw up. The hives finally appeared about 5 hours later and lasted 3 days.

I told the ER doctor that I was going to wait until Dd threw up and he told me never to wait, just give the epi, and not to mess around with Benadryl either.  Were you told to wait?

ETA: From the Epipen patient booklet:

When should epinephrine be administered?

Epinephrine should be immediately administered to a patient who fulfills any of the 3 criteria outlined in the ‘criteria for diagnosing anaphylaxis’ section.5 Prompt injection is important, as delayed injection of epinephrine is associated with fatal anaphylactic reactions.2,3,6 There will be patients, however, who present with symptoms not meeting the criteria for an anaphylaxis diagnosis in whom it would be appropriate to initiate epinephrine therapy.5 Such patients include those who have had prior near-fatal anaphylactic reactions to peanut, for example, and within minutes of re-exposure experience urticaria and generalized flushing.5,7 There are no absolute contraindications to epinephrine administration for an anaphylactic reaction. It is important to administer epinephrine immediately.6

It's important for kids who have had prior anaphylactic reactions, and that is why I was told to do it immediately in Dd's case.

I told the ER doctor that I was going to wait until Dd threw up and he told me never to wait, just give the epi, and not to mess around with Benadryl either. Were you told to wait?

We didn't think it was a reaction. It presented so differently.

We didn't know he was allergic to nuts. His first reaction was anaphylaxis.

For dairy it was always hives and nose only.

YES! This is what all the ER doctors and nurses, our pediatrician, and allergist have all told me. Even if you aren't sure if it is a reaction, give it. Benadryl won't touch many many reactions.

ETA: I've used an epi-pen on Dd twice. Both times the hospital commended me for doing it and told me horror stories about cases where the parent did not. Things can get very serious very fast and a reaction is harder to stop the further it progresses.

Thank you. I cannot bear to think this, but is there still a chance where an immediate epi shot still may NOT stop a reaction? I guess my thinking all this time has been that as long as we have an epi pen, we'll be fine.

We didn't think it was a reaction. It presented so differently.

We didn't know he was allergic to nuts. His first reaction was anaphylaxis.

For dairy it was always hives and nose only.

Ahhh...same thing here first reaction was anaphylaxis.  Stupid hospital we went to that time would not admit it was a food allergy even though I knew it.  When I asked them about getting her tested they said "Oh, no, I wouldn't got hat far.  Just don't give her whatever the food was.  Could have been a virus too."  :001_rolleyes:  Duh?  How would I know which food it was?

I had her tested anyway and she has reactions to tree nuts and peanuts, and all shellfish.  I won't let her stay overnight without me.  She's been dropped off at other homes only a handful of times.  

I told the ER doctor that I was going to wait until Dd threw up and he told me never to wait, just give the epi, and not to mess around with Benadryl either.  Were you told to wait?

ETA: From the Epipen patient booklet:

When should epinephrine be administered?

Epinephrine should be immediately administered to a patient who fulfills any of the 3 criteria outlined in the ‘criteria for diagnosing anaphylaxis’ section.5 Prompt injection is important, as delayed injection of epinephrine is associated with fatal anaphylactic reactions.2,3,6 There will be patients, however, who present with symptoms not meeting the criteria for an anaphylaxis diagnosis in whom it would be appropriate to initiate epinephrine therapy.5 Such patients include those who have had prior near-fatal anaphylactic reactions to peanut, for example, and within minutes of re-exposure experience urticaria and generalized flushing.5,7 There are no absolute contraindications to epinephrine administration for an anaphylactic reaction. It is important to administer epinephrine immediately.6

It's important for kids who have had prior anaphylactic reactions, and that is why I was told to do it immediately in Dd's case.  Apparently, from the article, it is important no matter what the previous reaction has been.  Just read the article and feel sick over it.  

Also want to add that my posts are not a comment on what the parents did in this situation.  I feel so sad for them.

I cannot imagine the fear that Natalie and her family went through in that short amount of time. 

False sense of security abounds in the food allergy community for many young adults. I admit, I can be one of them sometimes. This is really giving me something to think about. I have had a few instances that looking back, I should have immediately injected myself. I actually called the on-call nurse at my doctor's office after I was unsure if I ingested peanut butter or not. She told me not to inject until I started reacting. I did not have a reaction, thank God, but it could have been so much worse with that false information. 

Thank you. I cannot bear to think this, but is there still a chance where an immediate epi shot still may NOT stop a reaction? I guess my thinking all this time has been that as long as we have an epi pen, we'll be fine.

Yes, sometimes the epi pen is not enough due to the escalating nature of reactions. DD is a medic and has treated people who used their epi pens immediately and she still ended up administering large doses of IV meds and in some cases, intubating and bagging them to keep them goingl. She says DO NOT WORRY about using the epi-pen, if you have reason to suspect a reaction, administer immediately.

That is terribly, painfully tragic! My heart is just broken for that poor family! I can't even begin to fathom what they are going through even though they did all the right things. :(

A friend of my 15 yr old has both a peanut and egg allergy AND asthma. When he spends the night and has an inhaler about half the time and never, ever has an epi-pen. Matter fact I didn't even know he had allergies until after a couple of visits! We have absolutely no allergies here so I do NOTHING about being careful. Apparently he had a reaction to peanuts once in kindergarten and then tested positive for eggs also.

He can eat things cooked in peanut oil and can technically eat in restaurants with peanuts as long as he doesn't touch, be touched, or eat them. Isn't that unusual? (Remember, I'm clueless)

That is terribly, painfully tragic! My heart is just broken for that poor family! I can't even begin to fathom what they are going through even though they did all the right things. :(

A friend of my 15 yr old has both a peanut and egg allergy AND asthma. When he spends the night and has an inhaler about half the time and never, ever has an epi-pen. Matter fact I didn't even know he had allergies until after a couple of visits! We have absolutely no allergies here so I do NOTHING about being careful. Apparently he had a reaction to peanuts once in kindergarten and then tested positive for eggs also.

He can eat things cooked in peanut oil and can technically eat in restaurants with peanuts as long as he doesn't touch, be touched, or eat them. Isn't that unusual? (Remember, I'm clueless)

Being able to eat things cooked in peanut oil is not unusual for those with peanut allergies. The reason being, if the peanut oil is at a high enough temperature, the protein breaks down and is no longer a threat. I would never feel comfortable doing it, but it makes sense logically. 

How hard would it be to run a camp that had no exposure to peanuts? I don't know if peanuts are "hiding" in other foods that you wouldn't suspect. I know when I was in charge of snacks for VBS we purposely had no peanuts or peanut butter, not knowing if there would be allergy issues or not. I know it would probably be impossible to be food safe for all allergies, but as the article said, peanut allergies are the most likely to cause death. I would hate to be part of the food team at that camp right now. My heart goes out to the girl's family.

How hard would it be to run a camp that had no exposure to peanuts? I don't know if peanuts are "hiding" in other foods that you wouldn't suspect. I know when I was in charge of snacks for VBS we purposely had no peanuts or peanut butter, not knowing if there would be allergy issues or not. I know it would probably be impossible to be food safe for all allergies, but as the article said, peanut allergies are the most likely to cause death. I would hate to be part of the food team at that camp right now. My heart goes out to the girl's family.

I am so sorry for the girl and her family. How unutterably tragic!

Peanuts should be banned in camps and schools. No peanuts are allowed in any of the schools in my town. A strong parent advocacy group has done a great job in making every super conscious of how fast tragedy can strike.

On the other hand, here is an example of pig-headed thinking from the Boy Scouts. Quote from a BSA webinar (page 2), when a parent asked why there were peanut products in almost every lunch at the recent Jamboree -- "Scouts can bring nonperishable food with them if they are worried that the meals... do not meet their dietary requirements."

https://summit.scout...013_Webinar.pdf

Btw, my kids can eat peanuts, but I am so, so terribly sorry for all you parents who have such an uphill battle trying to make people understand something that should be pretty simple.

Not trying to put any blame, but as a mother of a son with several anaphylactic allergies, could it have made a difference if they'd immediately administered epi pen and Benadryl en route to hospital, maybe a 2nd epi 10 mins after the first if the hospital was a ways out?? Thinking in advance, that should be my protocol... If we know he has ingested peanuts I'm giving the epi immediately, not waiting, that story scares me so much! I don't even have 3 epi pens!! :( (i carry 2 and benadryl) Those poor people! :(

We nearly had a disaster at our church picnic this year. My ds is the only allergic child in our church. Everyone knows he's allergic. It's talked about, every picnic and get together and baptism and pot luck I make sure to remind everyone NO NUTS! Of course I can feel the ones who are doing the inward eye roll. I don't feed my child anyone else's food at potlucks, only food I bring for him. But he cannot be running around in a building with a bunch of children and adults who have just eaten peanut butter desserts, that is asking for trouble. So our big church picnic one of the games for the preschool class was sifting through a big bucket of bird seed to find buried treasure. I decided to skip and head to the next station with the bubbles with him, just a gut thing telling me to. The kids got done and I look up to see 30 preschool children running towards us up to their elbows in birdseed dust and my friend running ahead of them. She didn't bring the birdseed, just saw the peanuts and ran to warn me. The birdseed was FULL of peanuts. :| Really??!! 30 preschoolers running to my DEATHLY ALLERGIC SON covered in peanut dust. arrrgghhh! It was a mistake but still absolutely careless! It said PEANUTS right on the bag! I couldn't help but feel like if it was someone else's kid that never would have happened because they would have been more careful. My poor son already feels different, he already has to miss out on and be excluded from a lot, I literally had to scoop him up and run for the car and we had to go home. He missed the church picnic. He could have died if I were like most of the parents who sit around and chit chat instead of having to be the helicopter mom. It's just frustrating.

We had to quit our homeschool coop last year because they planned on doing peanut butter smeared pine cones sprinkled in bird seed for the craft in my son's preschool class that I was supposed to be helper. Thankfully they gave me a heads up, but asked if I could just leave the room with him while they did the craft. Um, no. You have 30 preschool kids smeared in peanut butter I'm not even entering the building. And you will not subject my little guy to further ostracizing that he can't even be involved in craft time, it's bad enough he has to have all special food. People just don't get it!

Being able to eat things cooked in peanut oil is not unusual for those with peanut allergies. The reason being, if the peanut oil is at a high enough temperature, the protein breaks down and is no longer a threat. I would never feel comfortable doing it, but it makes sense logically. 

I don't know if it has something to do with the extent of the allergy r not, but we got latest test results today and when Dd's allergist called she told me not to take chances with anything cooked in peanut oil.

I think it would be hard judging from all of the food products that have warnings.  Also told today by he allergist to absolutely pay attention to all warnings, even though many are just there for legal reasons.  

Dd loves Junior Mints b/c they actually put on their packaging that they are completely peanut free. 

Not trying to put any blame, but as a mother of a son with several anaphylactic allergies, could it have made a difference if they'd immediately administered epi pen and Benadryl en route to hospital, maybe a 2nd epi 10 mins after the first if the hospital was a ways out?? Thinking in advance, that should be my protocol... If we know he has ingested peanuts I'm giving the epi immediately, not waiting, that story scares me so much! I don't even have 3 epi pens!! :( (i carry 2 and benadryl) Those poor people! :(

I don't know, they did give 3 epipens.  It's funny b/c I know I was told at one point to go ahead and give both epipens, but I'm not sure who told me that.  Now I think I understand why.  I did give 2 on the last reaction b/c it was so obvious immediately.

We nearly had a disaster at our church picnic this year. My ds is the only allergic child in our church. Everyone knows he's allergic. It's talked about, every picnic and get together and baptism and pot luck I make sure to remind everyone NO NUTS! Of course I can feel the ones who are doing the inward eye roll. I don't feed my child anyone else's food at potlucks, only food I bring for him. But he cannot be running around in a building with a bunch of children and adults who have just eaten peanut butter desserts, that is asking for trouble. So our big church picnic one of the games for the preschool class was sifting through a big bucket of bird seed to find buried treasure. I decided to skip and head to the next station with the bubbles with him, just a gut thing telling me to. The kids got done and I look up to see 30 preschool children running towards us up to their elbows in birdseed dust and my friend running ahead of them. She didn't bring the birdseed, just saw the peanuts and ran to warn me. The birdseed was FULL of peanuts. :| Really??!! 30 preschoolers running to my DEATHLY ALLERGIC SON covered in peanut dust. arrrgghhh! It was a mistake but still absolutely careless! It said PEANUTS right on the bag! I couldn't help but feel like if it was someone else's kid that never would have happened because they would have been more careful. My poor son already feels different, he already has to miss out on and be excluded from a lot, I literally had to scoop him up and run for the car and we had to go home. He missed the church picnic. He could have died if I were like most of the parents who sit around and chit chat instead of having to be the helicopter mom. It's just frustrating.

We had to quit our homeschool coop last year because they planned on doing peanut butter smeared pine cones sprinkled in bird seed for the craft in my son's preschool class that I was supposed to be helper. Thankfully they gave me a heads up, but asked if I could just leave the room with him while they did the craft. Um, no. You have 30 preschool kids smeared in peanut butter I'm not even entering the building. And you will not subject my little guy to further ostracizing that he can't even be involved in craft time, it's bad enough he has to have all special food. People just don't get it!

I'm sorry.  It is hard.  You are doing the right thing, though.

I found it especially important to note that, according to the article, she had never had this severe a reaction before the fatal incident. The escalating nature of food allergies is what people (the ones I know, anyway) have the most trouble grasping.

Yes.  I think as a parent of tree nut allergic child, I have perhaps minimized this myself. He took his epi-pen to camp, but I'm sure it remained in his tent. 

He had a moderate reaction to pecans when he was 3, but nothing severe since then.  He'll accidentally get a bit of nut and might feel it in his mouth once in a blue moon, but that's the end of it.  But as this story showed, it may not always be the end of it.  Scary for sure.

I don't know whether or not to share this with my son.  He already tends to be overly paranoid about what he eats.  Maybe that's a good thing.

Yes.  I think as a parent of tree nut allergic child, I have perhaps minimized this myself. He took his epi-pen to camp, but I'm sure it remained in his tent. 

He had a moderate reaction to pecans when he was 3, but nothing severe since then.  He'll accidentally get a bit of nut and might feel it in his mouth once in a blue moon, but that's the end of it.  But as this story showed, it may not always be the end of it.  Scary for sure.

I don't know whether or not to share this with my son.  He already tends to be overly paranoid about what he eats.  Maybe that's a good thing.

Imo, you should share it. And I agree with the bolded.

:iagree:

I hope this changes and people begin to understand.

"Inward eye roll" -- nice attitude to pass on to their peanut-covered kids.

Alessandra, that pine cone bird feeder can be made with crisco instead of peanut butter. I can't believe your coop leader didn't take time to figure that out.

I know.

MrsJewelsRae was actually the poster whose child's group did the peanut butter pine cone.

Ignoring pb allergies makes me angry, because it is usually so simple to find an alternate -- just as you said. 

I know.

MrsJewelsRae was actually the poster whose child's group did the peanut butter pine cone.

Ignoring pb allergies makes me angry, because it is usually so simple to find an alternate -- just as you said.

Oops! Ah well, we are both irritated on her behalf!

Yes. Epi-pens are not guaranteed to stop a reaction. They are just something to buy you time until you can get to a hospital. Sometimes they won't even do that. Do not think that just because your child has a epi-pen all is well if there is a reaction. We've had too many patients in the ER where the epi-pen was not helping and only the big gun meds stopped the reaction.

I don't want to scare you, but I've seen too many patents who think the epi-pen works all the time. It's a stop gap measure...that's it.