Menu

Upstate NY for non-driver questions

Arcadia

I can't drive and we might be relocating to Saratoga County.  No timeline yet, just a heads up.

We are looking at houses online but can't quite get a feel of the place obviously.  So my criteria as a non-driver is I need somewhere where I can walk with my kids to get groceries (we tend to run out of milk, 7 Eleven would work), hopefully walk to the library and walk to school. I have no problem with school buses but I have no means to get a sick kid home if hubby is out of town.  I'm also looking at mainly condos or townhomes with fenced or no backyards and strongly prefer densely populated areas. Bonus if there is a German school, Citibank, Wells Fargo within a 30mins drive.  We don't mind airports and are used to living very near international airports.

I am city born and bred and have all my life had within a 5mins walk:

cafes, fast food and bakeries

bus stops and/or light rail (metro/subway) stops

supermarket

dentists, opticians and pharmacy

banks

within 20mins walk:

Libraries, bookstore (big B&N size ones), Post Office (full service ones)

plenty of schools

We have looked at Clifton Park, Burnt Hills and Albany so far. I just don't want to be on "house arrest" whenever hubby is out of town.  So where should we narrow our house search?

With all you are looking for I really think you want to stick to Albany proper. That is an actual city with buses and real restaurants and real coffee.

The commute between Saratoga and Albany is a very common one, but your husband would be going in the opposite direction of most, so the traffic might not even be too bad.

It has been half a life time since I lived in the Capitol district, but when I was there, grocery shopping was notoriously difficult. So, make sure to know where your closest actual store is. It really MUST have got better since I was there.

Learn to drive even if you don't think you'll use it very often and then find a place near a zip car location.   

Unfortunately I can't drive due to eyesight issues.  I drive like a drunk anytime of day, as in I can't keep in a lane. I don't think I would be able to pass a driving test.  We can afford a second car, just not a chauffer.  Which is why I need a walkable city or somewhere with good transport or I'll feel trap in my own home.

With all you are looking for I really think you want to stick to Albany proper. That is an actual city with buses and real restaurants and real coffee.

The commute between Saratoga and Albany is a very common one, but your husband would be going in the opposite direction of most, so the traffic might not even be too bad.

Thanks.  I was joking with hubby about buying next to Crossgates Mall. I have a lawyer girlfriend working in Albany which is why I was looking there in the first place besides the malls and airport. It is an easy commute for my hubby if we stay there.

My cousins lived in Burnt Hills and while it was a super nice place, I don't remember anything being walkable. You might be able to get away with using taxis. Albany is probably your best bet, but I think it is still notoriously bad for grocery shopping. Between taxis and bus service you would probably be okay.

Upstate New York, even the cities, is not good for needing to walk. Everything is designed for cars and drivers licenses.

There is a bus that runs all the way from the state museum to the end of downtown Schenectady.  There are tons of stores and businesses all along that route.  There are other bus routes too near there. 

I'm not aware of a German school, but there are some German clubs and if you want to speak to a German you could talk to my husband.  LOL

Some of his colleagues are staying at Schenectady and there is a Barnes and Nobles as well as Target at Mohawk Commons.

The German school is for my boys, they learn a lot faster every time they are in a classroom environment which is why I'm thinking of putting them back to school.

ETA:

I think if we move, we will be at Barnes & Noble or Montreal every weekend. His colleagues prefer Montreal (I don't know why).  I'll also need to buy lots of stuff from Ikea too since Ikea is scarce in NY.

There is a Barnes and Noble in Saratoga Springs.

If you are thinking of buying a house, make sure to look at property/school tax rates. They vary a lot in the area. My relatives in Saratoga County pay about $5000 per year (in a town without a town tax) while they have friends closer to Schenectady that were paying $7000 per year fifteen years ago (must be a lot more by now).

You could also look into Queensbury. It's a few towns north of Saratoga and the traffic (except Lake George traffic in the summer) should be less than the Albany area.

I live in the next county up and it would definitely be a challenge to live in upstate Ny without driving. If you could live right in the city of Saratoga you could walk tons of places. Children's museum, library, pretty sure theres a price chopper, and there is a new bookstore coming to town, I think right on broadway. Also a million places to buy coffee and wine. ;)

You could check out http://www.walkscore.com/ . We have one car and live in Syracuse. We walk everywhere or take the bus. According to Walk Score, ours is the 15th most walkable area in town, but we live right between the 2nd and 3rd most walkable and a short bus ride from the most walkable. One problem I noticed about the site, though, was that some of the really walkable neighborhoods weren't safe neighborhoods. I wouldn't want to walk there, and I feel bad for the folks who do need to live and walk there out of necessity. :(

Have you looked at Saratoga Springs?

If you could live right in the city of Saratoga you could walk tons of places. Children's museum, library, pretty sure theres a price chopper, and there is a new bookstore coming to town, I think right on broadway. Also a million places to buy coffee and wine. ;)

Now eyeing two homes that are off Washington Ave and a comfortable walk to schools and the Saratoga Spring Library in good weather.  

You could check out http://www.walkscore.com/ . We have one car and live in Syracuse. We walk everywhere or take the bus

Thanks, I'll check that website.  I do understand downtown can be more "messy", something that Zillow won't be able to tell. 

Just for fun I checked and my current home has a walkscore of 52.  The one I am looking at has a walkscore of 91

We will be neighbor if you move to clifton park :)

You will need car live in clifton park. Unless few of the apartment near the ymca. You can get to grocery store/library easily. But if living in the house, you will need a car.

Saratoga spring is a cute city. More expensive house but I do not think you will need a car. Everything down town is close by and "I think" you can walk to most places.

If you are thinking of buying a house, make sure to look at property/school tax rates. They vary a lot in the area. My relatives in Saratoga County pay about $5000 per year (in a town without a town tax) while they have friends closer to Schenectady that were paying $7000 per year fifteen years ago (must be a lot more by now).

You could also look into Queensbury. It's a few towns north of Saratoga and the traffic (except Lake George traffic in the summer) should be less than the Albany area.

Saratoga county has cheaper property tax because of the horse. Most county near by has higher property tax. A 500k house pays around 10k property tax a year and 9k of them goes to school tax.

Some of his colleagues are staying at Schenectady and there is a Barnes and Nobles as well as Target at Mohawk Commons.

The German school is for my boys, they learn a lot faster every time they are in a classroom environment which is why I'm thinking of putting them back to school.

ETA:

I think if we move, we will be at Barnes & Noble or Montreal every weekend. His colleagues prefer Montreal (I don't know why).  I'll also need to buy lots of stuff from Ikea too since Ikea is scarce in NY.

There's an IKEA in Connecticut that is 2.5 hrs away. It's a bit of a haul, but worth it if you have a large list (like my sister did when moved to Albany).

If you are in the Albany area there is also one near Montreal. My mom lives in the North Country (several hours north of Albany) and shops at Ikea often when the exchange rate is good.

That is thinking like an upstater :lol:

But yeah, there is lots that upstate NY doesn't have. I've never been to a Trader Joe's or Costco. I have been once to Whole Foods, but it was the one in the city. We do have Wegmans' though. That is something. But, given what those in the areas say about the grocery situation in the Albany area, I don't know if Wegmans is there. No Wegmans, now that is scary! :laugh:

And that walkscore site is fun. My city got an 88.

My DD has epilepsy and it's a long shot if she'll ever be able to drive. I'm glad to hear your story!

I have a 39 year old friend (junior college junior) who has epilepsy and a hole in the heart. He has to take a cocktail of drugs for his heart problem. He has been and still is a successful professional ABAP regional programmer working for SAP. He works from home and his employer picks up the tab for cabs, internet, IDD calls on his company issued cellphone.

I had a successful regional career before being a SAHM despite never being able to drive. I just end up flying a lot for work. Accepting physical limitations and mentally moving forward is very empowering for me.

There is hope :)

You don't need to make trips to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. There are two health food stores within walking distance of the homes you mentioned, and a huge Health Living Market in the mall. http://www.healthylivingmarket.com/saratoga/

ETA Saratoga Springs, the city, is full of fitness oriented, organic loving types of people. And one of the more affluent places north of Albany.

My hubby is from Saratoga Springs, so we have been there often over the last 20 years.  It is a very walkable town with nice shops, grocery, book stores and parks.  It gets crazy from mid-July thru August with Saratoga Race Course being open for 6-8 weeks during racing season, but other than that it is a pretty quiet town.  Skidmore College is there, although I wouldn't really classify Saratoga as a college town.  There are a few museums and lots of historical sites in the area.  I think he would consider moving back if his job or retirement ever led us back to NY.

Many years ago, I stayed in Delmar and worked in Saratoga.

I would love to live in the village of Saratoga. It does get hairy around race days and you have to plan your routes carefully not to get caught in the traffic when the races let out. Also, restaurants and entertainment venues get packed during the season.

But the season is short. It used to be 4 weeks but it's been extended.

Its funny you all mentioned the Race Course. I used to service supercomputers at a Turf Club (horse racing) so I would be there on non-racing days.

SF 49ers new stadium and Great America (amusement park) is walking distance away from me. I grew up with crazy traffic jams in Asia where walking is faster than driving :)