Menu

s/o comprehensive Algebra I test?

The geometry book that dd used did not review Algebra at all and we were using any extra time to work on Swiss exam prep. The Swiss exam did have some Algebra but we tended to focus on some things barely/not covered in our US Algebra book and didn't cover other things she had learned (or I should say "covered" - she really dislikes Algebra)...

She is doing a stint as an au pair far away from me, so I can't oversee any remedial work this summer but want to make sure that she hasn't forgotten too much by the time we're ready to start....So I need to be able to assess if there are large forgotten material/holes before dd starts Algebra II.

I was looking at the proposals on the Accelerating high school math? thread....the AoPS "Do you need this?" Algebra I test seems so scanty...Is that really all there is to Algebra I?

And is the Algebra I AoPS course a complete Algebra I course? or just interesting aspects for kids doing other math books?

extra question re Algebra II - Dd actually has good native math intelligence so I'm thinking of using their course for Algebra II but am wondering how complete it really is - whether she needs to do other work on the side?

As she dislikes Algebra so much, going through all the chapter tests of her old book will be too much. I don't want to do SAT tests as that doesn't just focus on Algebra I....

So a test that covers all the bases in Algebra I and tells you the topics to review for any mistakes would be really helpful....

Hoping something like this exists...

Joan

AoPS does not need supplementing.   I'm not sure if I would choose it for a student that really dislikes alg, though.    My really strong in math but not her favorite subject dd strongly dislikes AoPS even though doesn't mind alg (and definitely likes alg way more than geo.) ;) 

Foerster's book does a good job integrating any basic alg 1 review into his alg 2 text.   At least he must b/c we have never reviewed any alg and have always done alg 2 after a geo text that does not incorporate alg review and have never had any problems.  :)

I'm only 1/2 awake after an awful night's sleep.....I have no idea if that is even at helpful.

AoPS does not need supplementing.   I'm not sure if I would choose it for a student that really dislikes alg, though.    My really strong in math but not her favorite subject dd strongly dislikes AoPS even though doesn't mind alg (and definitely likes alg way more than geo.) ;)

Foerster's book does a good job integrating any basic alg 1 review into his alg 2 text.   At least he must b/c we have never reviewed any alg and have always done alg 2 after a geo text that does not incorporate alg review and have never had any problems.  :)

I'm only 1/2 awake after an awful night's sleep.....I have no idea if that is even at helpful.

Lol - it is helpful and hopeful :-)

I should have put in a bit more re dd 'psychology'....She says she 'hates' algebra and it's true that she loved geometry...But I don't necessarily believe the "hate" Algebra part because she's similarly said that she 'hates' basketball but then she will get on the court and dribble around and shoot with great 'zest' and have a great time til she gets exhausted or starts 'losing'....There's something about her 'psychology' which is so different from mine - and I'm still unpacking it, and trying to figure out how to work with it....

So I'm wondering if it is just the books we've used....wondering if something a bit interactive would be more helpful (though looking at the time zone problem - it looks like AoPS wouldn't even work - but perhaps the Alcumus problems would work?)

Keeping in mind your comment about your dd - is there some way of testing out a course? I've searched on their FAQ's and looked for 'trial' and 'sample' with no success.

Also, would the Alcumus work replace regular math curriculums?

Thanks!

Joan

Lol - it is helpful and hopeful :-)

I should have put in a bit more re dd 'psychology'....She says she 'hates' algebra and it's true that she loved geometry...But I don't necessarily believe the "hate" Algebra part because she's similarly said that she 'hates' basketball but then she will get on the court and dribble around and shoot with great 'zest' and have a great time til she gets exhausted or starts 'losing'....There's something about her 'psychology' which is so different from mine - and I'm still unpacking it, and trying to figure out how to work with it....

So I'm wondering if it is just the books we've used....wondering if something a bit interactive would be more helpful (though looking at the time zone problem - it looks like AoPS wouldn't even work - but perhaps the Alcumus problems would work?)

Keeping in mind your comment about your dd - is there some way of testing out a course? I've searched on their FAQ's and looked for 'trial' and 'sample' with no success.

Also, would the Alcumus work replace regular math curriculums?

Thanks!

Joan

I'm not sure how high of a level Alcumus goes.   I know that it didn't go to the levels that ds took.   He started AoPS after alg 2, so unless they have expanded it  (they probably have), at least 4  yrs ago it wasn't to that pt.

When dd took alg 1 (she did take their online class in 7th grade), she did use Alcumus but it wasn't really useful for her.  (she had already completed MUS and Foerster's alg by that pt).   So......I am not a good one to assess Alcumus for you.  ;)

As far as trying it out.....yes, you can enroll in a class and if you don't like it, you can ask for a refund for up to 2-3 weeks....something like that.   But, I'm not sure how the time zone options would work out.   The classes are text chat and you can access them at any time, but the interactive participation would be missing

FWIW, I understand completely about the psy and your dd.   I don't know if my dd really dislikes math or dislikes math b/c she is in the shadow of her brother who talks/breathes math perpetually.     She is very good in math.   Very.   But, she loves lang and lit.  Those fascinate her.   She was gleeful (seriously) after reading the intro to Wheelock's Latin about the connections of different languages.   (It is why she has such a strong interest in Tolkien.)   My 19 yod looked at her and said....."you are just plain nuts."   But, her reaction to lang is really no different than her brother's to math/physics.   The difference is that she is simply a strong student all around whereas ds's dyslexia skews his performance (not necessarily his interests, though.  He is writing a novel and is over 50,000 words at this pt.)    

I don't know......kids are sure hard to figure out.   I definitely am perplexed by mine most of the time.  :) 

I'm not sure how high of a level Alcumus goes.   I know that it didn't go to the levels that ds took.   He started AoPS after alg 2, so unless they have expanded it  (they probably have), at least 4  yrs ago it wasn't to that pt.

When dd took alg 1 (she did take their online class in 7th grade), she did use Alcumus but it wasn't really useful for her.  (she had already completed MUS and Foerster's alg by that pt).   So......I am not a good one to assess Alcumus for you.  ;)

As far as trying it out.....yes, you can enroll in a class and if you don't like it, you can ask for a refund for up to 2-3 weeks....something like that.   But, I'm not sure how the time zone options would work out.   The classes are text chat and you can access them at any time, but the interactive participation would be missing

FWIW, I understand completely about the psy and your dd.   I don't know if my dd really dislikes math or dislikes math b/c she is in the shadow of her brother who talks/breathes math perpetually.     She is very good in math.   Very.   But, she loves lang and lit.  Those fascinate her.   She was gleeful (seriously) after reading the intro to Wheelock's Latin about the connections of different languages.   (It is why she has such a strong interest in Tolkien.)   My 19 yod looked at her and said....."you are just plain nuts."   But, her reaction to lang is really no different than her brother's to math/physics.   The difference is that she is simply a strong student all around whereas ds's dyslexia skews his performance (not necessarily his interests, though.  He is writing a novel and is over 50,000 words at this pt.)    

I don't know......kids are sure hard to figure out.   I definitely am perplexed by mine most of the time.  :)

Thanks 8!

Oh yes, I forgot to say about your previous comment about Foersters Alg II....ds3 and I had such trouble with that book and ended up giving up. He went on to use Dolciani for Algebra II and then back to Foersters for Precalc, then Larson for Calc and is now doing super well as a STEM...so it wasn't the material...But I still have the books so could retry them with dd just in case a different format would be better. But do you have any hints of how to use Foerster Algebra II? There were just so many problems and I forget what else was the problem for us...perhaps the way the text seemed to jump around - like he was never prepared for the problems?

Your story of your dd is helpful! And the part about 'gleeful reading the intro' makes me think of the value of home education - that allows for 'gleeful' educational experiences :-).

I see I need to work on this problem from various angles...

Joan

Hi Joan!

Here's a good checklist of Algebra 1 skills from CTY's alg1 course (I used it when I used to teach math locally.)

Have you considered using a short subscription to Aleks math? I think that the strength of Aleks is in identifying weak or forgotten areas and providing focused practice to mastery in just those areas. She could do it independently.

Alcumus might be fun as a supplement. You can set it to just give her algebra 1 problems, either following the order of their textbook or randomly. There are also some nice & free algebra videos on AoPS, listed by topic.

hth,

Kathy

Ok - I think I have a plan now:

First she takes this test....

Let's Go Learn has a comprehensive Algebra I test.  It is thorough and accurate.  The report will show you the gaps.  The test is $20 for one test; $35 for two, etc.

then I check those results with the CTY checklist - making sure all topics are tested...

Hi Joan!

Here's a good checklist of Algebra 1 skills from CTY's alg1 course (I used it when I used to teach math locally.)

Then she does the Aleks math subscription focusing on any needed areas...

Have you considered using a short subscription to Aleks math? I think that the strength of Aleks is in identifying weak or forgotten areas and providing focused practice to mastery in just those areas. She could do it independently.

she watches videos for those areas too (there are a lot of videos Kathy - wow!)

Alcumus might be fun as a supplement. You can set it to just give her algebra 1 problems, either following the order of their textbook or randomly. There are also some nice & free algebra videos on AoPS, listed by topic.

hth,

Kathy

And for any other tough spots - she can use the questions from these books...I like how they give you hints for how you are misunderstanding the problem (based on mistakes)...

Interact Math may be helpful for you. Choose a book from the drop-down menu, then start working problems. It's free. There are many books to choose from, including Lial. Best wishes.

Thank you all so much! If only we could start this today! I'm finally looking forward to math again....I'd been dreading math....

Joan

You do have a good plan.  You can do a trial month with ALEKS to see if your student likes it.  Also take a look at CTC Math.  It is $200 for a year subscription, but that fee covers all lessons, all grade levels; i.e. K-Calculus. 

But 8FTH -  you have so much experience with siblings +/or ed psychology - how can there be hope for me?

You do have a good plan.  You can do a trial month with ALEKS to see if your student likes it.  Also take a look at CTC Math.  It is $200 for a year subscription, but that fee covers all lessons, all grade levels; i.e. K-Calculus. 

Thanks Togo...Also - what is CTC Math? Sorry I don't know all the acronyms these days...

Joan

• 1 month later...

I just thought I'd update about this as well....

So - we started out with the recommended test....on August 27th...

I think it is very thorough - but dd never got through it!

After three hours, she was exhausted and was still only half way through it....I started wondering how we would do anything else but Algebra I this year...

We went back and forth about what to do....

Finally I said that she could review in her old book...so we started going through the chapter reviews orally...It was clear she needed a lot of time...

After a couple of days of only doing that for math...she just started doing all the chapter reviews all over again on paper....Finally that got finished last week and she has now started Algebra II...

So even though we didn't end up following all the recommendations - they gave me a feeling of a plan all during August so that I didn't have to worry about it :-)

So thank you for the support!!!

Joan