Menu

RENT - the show/movie - please give me a review

And, in your review, could you describe the nature of the PG-13 rating? We allow our 11.5 year old to watch a number of PG-13's, but there are a few that I feel are too violent or mature and are more worthy of an R rating. In fact, it's pretty obvious that ratings aren't what they used to be. :glare:

And, in your review, could you describe the nature of the PG-13 rating?

IIRC, you'll see people shoot up, or try to, and also see (obviously) a graphic portrayal of the lives and deaths of people with AIDS.

Sterling, who is just this close to being eleven, has loved the soundtrack since he was old enough to squeak out, "How we gonna pay . . . how we gonna pay . . . how we gonna pay . . . last yee's went!?" He saw it last year and did fine with it, though both AIDS and the use of drugs required explaining.

I frankly didn't like it at all. Good music, but not for me. I fall on the conservative side of the aisle. I didn't make it thru the whole thing.

Ah, yes, maybe that's what Melinda meant by sexuality?

For the OP, there's romance between a lesbian couple -- an engagement party. One of the characters is transgendered, MTF.

Ah, yes, maybe that's what Melinda meant by sexuality?

For the OP, there's romance between a lesbian couple -- an engagement party. One of the characters is transgendered, MTF.

Yeah, that's it. I actually couldn't remember why it was that I didn't like it. That's it. ;)

The movie was the pits. PITS. And I'm saying this as someone who saw the stage production years ago. The stage production as 100% better. Content wise, I think it's too much for an 11 year old. I think the subject matter is too "in your face" for that age. I'd never allow my child to see it at 11--it would be wayyy too much for her to contend with.

In case you're wondering how someone as conservative as I ended up seeing Rent, I won tickets to the stage production and had no idea what it was really about. I love theatre and loved and appreciated how much talent and work was involved in this production, even if the subject matter and content did shock me initially. I saw the movie out of curiosity as to how close it would align with the show. IMO, it didn't, really. Not much, anyway.

I think it's more romance than sexuality. I don't remember any sex scenes.

Not sex, but two men kissing might be seen as sexual content. And there is a scene (in the musical, not sure of the movie) where there is some sensual dancing. A few not-so-subtle innuendos in the quick, witty dialogue, too.

. . . a lot.

Both of my kids have seen the movie, and my 10-year-old son owns the soundtrack. The original plan was to buy a copy of the CD and have my husband burn an edited copy that left out the most problematic songs, but we almost immediately figured out that meant all the best songs.

So, we gave him the original, after having a conversation with him about not singing certain of them in public.

He's memorized the whole CD, but had no trouble honoring that request.

For my money, the show has all kinds of wonderful messages about respecting and valuing others, and I have no problem with my kids learning those lessons. Plus, the music is really fun.

Now, with that said, the characters include one lesbian couple, one gay couple (including the transgendered character), several characters with AIDS and others in various stages of fighting substance abuse problems. Many of the lyrics are suggestive and downright profane. Though I don't remember anything "graphic" in terms of sex scenes, for all the reasons listed above, it's probably not going to be an enjoyable experience for folks who consider themselves conservative.

By the way, I understand that once the Broadway show closes, they will be making the show available for school and community theatre productions. I just can't wait to see how high schools around the country handle this one!

And, in your review, could you describe the nature of the PG-13 rating? We allow our 11.5 year old to watch a number of PG-13's, but there are a few that I feel are too violent or mature and are more worthy of an R rating. In fact, it's pretty obvious that ratings aren't what they used to be. :glare:

I did not see the play, but I thought the movie was so bad that I walked out after half an hour. I was with a friend, it took us half an hour to realize we were both miserable.

I am pretty liberal when it comes to movies, the AIDS theme did not bother me at all.

I did not see the play, but I thought the movie was so bad that I walked out after half an hour. I was with a friend, it took us half an hour to realize we were both miserable.

I am pretty liberal when it comes to movies, the AIDS theme did not bother me at all.

What was it that did bother you? I've heard such mixed reviews -- either love it or hate it kind of feedback. We'd planned to watch this tomorrow evening, but I sure don't need to waste two hours watching a movie. I could just do that here! :lol:

What was it that did bother you? I've heard such mixed reviews -- either love it or hate it kind of feedback. We'd planned to watch this tomorrow evening, but I sure don't need to waste two hours watching a movie. I could just do that here! :lol:

OK- I know a lot of people love this movie. Even some people who usually like the same movies I do love Rent. It seems to me that people who saw the play are more likely to like the movie, so maybe it's better on stage. That's my my disclaimer...

Rotten Tomatoes says, "Consensus: Fans of the stage musical may forgive Rent its flaws, but weak direction, inescapable staginess and an irritating faux-boho pretension prevent the film from connecting on screen."

I agree with the Rotten concensus. I thought the songs were annoying and about nothing at all. Can't you just have a conversation every now and then? STOP SINGING!!!

Also, the characters were all shook up about not having money to pay the rent, but no one made an effort to make any money to pay the rent.

Each to their own, I guess. YMMV

I absolutely LOVED this on Broadway (although I distinctly remember an older couple walking out as soon as Angel entered stage right;)) and have the soundtrack memorized, but I thought the film was terrible. It just didn't have any magic whatsoever for me.

There are some things that can be made believable and/or bearable in live theater that are just too sappy or intense on film. Film allows the director to zoom in or focus on things that would be of little notice live. Sweeney Todd is a good example of this effect for me. I would probably take my older 2 to see a stage production of ST, but definitely not the movie.

YMMV, but I would wait to see it live, if you can.

Jen

These responses were helpful. I think we'll watch it as a family - sounds like material we could manage together.

Something that's kind of fun is to note the comparisons between Rent and La Boheme. Check out the synopsis of the opera here: http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/history/stories/synopsis.aspx?id=7

Jonathon Larson did play fast and loose with some of the characters and their relationships, but a lot of the major plot points (and some character names) are very close. He even borrowed a bit of the music for one song.