Menu

Have you ever left the oven on?

110 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever left the oven on?

• yes I have
    • never
    • other

our kettle shuts itself off after it reaches a boil.

our coffee maker shuts itself off after an hour.

our toaster oven is on a timer.

and Every Single Time i turn on a burner or an oven, i set a timer so that when it goes off i will go into the kitchen and discover that i am cooking something.

even that doesn't necessarily do it, as it is possible to walk into the kitchen, turn off the timer, and leave the kitchen. 

or

its possible to walk into the kitchen, turn off the timer and take the food out of the over.

so i have trained myself to walk into the kitchen, turn off the over and then open it.  if whatever it is isn't quite ready, its very easy to turn the oven back on and set the timer again.  i only turn the timer off once the food is out of the oven.

and i've been like this since i was ten, when i first started working in the kitchen.  it took years to refine the system though. 

i've never actually set the oven on fire, but i've done in a fair few toaster ovens, as had dh before we got married.  doubling the jeopardy helped us come up with a system.  we haven't had a toaster oven fire since 1998 ;).

:leaving: :wacko: :blushing: :eek: :willy_nilly: 

ann 

Stove top a few times.  Oven a number of times.  Even the grill.  Usually that was left on to clean/cook off whatever was left behind after grilling.  Once I got up for work, looked out the kitchen windown and wondered why I could see the heatwaves coming off the grill.  Yup, left it on all night, on our covered back porch.

I've also forgotten to close the garage door. 

Luckily the hot pot and iron turn themselves off.

Tator Tot casserole tastes really really good after sitting in the oven at a lowish heat for 11 hours.  (Not intentional.  I was busy but not quite hungry yet, so I put it in the oven at a lower temp, then totally forgot about it, or eating.)

An old boyfriend was investigated by the Arson people because he burnt down the kitchen leaving a pizza cooking in the oven within a month after it had been rebuilt after burning down because he left a pizza cooking in the oven.  (Two pizzas two destroyed kitchens in one year)

Yep, regularly, as well as anything else that I touch. I'm rather forgetful. I burned the last tray of every batch of cookies I made up until a year ago too because I would forget that I was doing anything in the oven as soon as I was done emptying the bowl and wasn't staying busy with the job in between trays.

Too many buttons to set on my oven for me to accidentally turn it on. I did forget to turn the gas off for my stove and burnt a few pots as well as set off the smoke alarm.  When I am overtired, I prefer to use the microwave to cook for safety sake.

Yes, the day after reading a post here about whether or not it's safe to leave your oven on and go out and subsequently discussing said post at a family gathering and exclaiming in horror about how unsafe it is to leave your oven on and go out. Such is my life. 

Yep, regularly, as well as anything else that I touch. I'm rather forgetful. I burned the last tray of every batch of cookies I made up until a year ago too because I would forget that I was doing anything in the oven as soon as I was done emptying the bowl and wasn't staying busy with the job in between trays.

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only person who does this! All batches baked after the first batch are also progressively more "well done" because once the first batch is out, I satisfy my cookie craving and then steadily lose focus  :rolleyes:

And now I want cookies. Well, cookie dough.

Heck yeah. At least once a year since I was 10 or so. Sometimes I forget I even put food in it to cook.

:lol: Me too. I'll be preheating for an hour, and DH will come in and say, "Are you cooking something in here?" And I'll realize I never even got the dang thing out of the freezer to do the quick-thaw. Those are Moe's nights around here. 

I've never left the house or gone to bed with it on, but I've forgotten for 1-2 hours before. I always set a timer when I put something in the oven, but I've been known to turn off the timer, remove the food, and forget about the actual oven.

not accidentally since I first learned to cook as a child.  In fact I am a bit paranoid about it and check it several times after I am done with it (or after someone else is), before bed, before going out etc to make extra sure it is not on.  There is a rare exception I will leave it on when I run out and perhaps have a roast in and want to pick up some rolls at the store on main street, but usually I will even turn it off when I do that and then turn it back on when I walk back in the door.  if the over door stays shut it stays pretty hot in there with it off while I am gone.