Menu

Troubling Chapters in Lial's Introductory Algebra

Lial Introductory Algebra does expect the student to have had a solid Pre-Algebra course.

The first chapter is a review of basic elementary math. 99% of students can skip it.  The second chapter is more for the INSTRUCTOR.  It rushes through a Pre-Algebra review (if student worked the Lial Pre-Algebra text then this will be easy for student)--almost all of these topics are introduced again later in the text with the appropriate Algebra lesson.  In other words chapter 2 was not meant as a 'teaching chapter'--but more of a review chapter...  I only spend the first 1-2 lessons in chapter 2 while I'm settling in with my class (it lets me know what the students understand and what they struggle with so I can adapt future lessons).

The text really begins with Chapter 3.  Chapters 3 and 4 go together.  It is quite possible to work chapters 5, 6, and 7 then go back to chapters 3 and 4 (this is what some of the other editions have done).  I'm perfectly fine with Chapter 3 first (reasons go both ways).  This is not unique to Lial-

Chapter 3 begins Linear Equations.  Students need to have a grasp of what a variable is and how to use negatives (along with basic distributives and simple equation manipulation-- concepts I pick out of Chapter 2 to 'review').  There are some Algebra 1 students (in ANY program) who will not be mentally mature to handle this material.  The lessons in Lial are quite good--it is not the individual concepts (steps)-- it is more of having to use multiple processes to complete a singular problem.   When I teach this material I'm teaching logical thinking at the same time.  I do move a bit slower in chapter 3 than in the other chapters.  I'm not too worried as I teach the exact lesson again in my Geometry class (linear algebra is needed for coordinate geometry) and then once again in my Algebra 2 class.  Some students 'get it' the first time-- others the 3rd-- again this is not unique to Lial... 

I find my younger Algebra 1 students tend to have more issues with chapters 3 and 4-- if they are working independently I often suggest moving on to chapters 5-7 then going back.  This works well for students who learned basic math by patterning--but their logic is not quite mature--the extra few months can really make a difference in mental (logical) maturity.

The only 'issue' I have with Lial is in chapter 6- factoring polynomials.  Nothing wrong with the teaching--text will show multiple methods and hopefully students will catch on to one of them.  Most American Algebra programs are similar to this and the method of choice for TEACHERS seems to be this 'box' method... I can't stand the 'box method'-- it does not fit with the way most teens think--or the way "I" think!  Perhaps it is bad childhood memories of FAILING that chapter myself... I teach a method my 8th grade teacher showed me (she learned from a foreign exchange student).  My method is close to how Singapore Math teaches factoring polynomials (quadratics).  I've changed it up a bit over the years and my students now lovingly call it the "X-method".  It is a self-checking process that helps students think through the possible combinations and gives them visual clues to keep the problem in order (helps to keep negatives in right place). 

Anyone can email/pm me and I'll send them the link to this lesson. I know I've posted it here on the WTM but it was a few years back.

OP- these are not issues unique to Lial.  These are the struggling topics for the majority of Algebra 1 students around the world. Most students can figure out basic equation manipulation (by patterns)--it is the beginning of application (Linear Equations) and then abstract basics (working with polynomials) that make students THINK-- and that is what makes Algebra 'yucky' to the teen brain.

• Like 1

The only 'issue' I have with Lial is in chapter 6- factoring polynomials.  Nothing wrong with the teaching--text will show multiple methods and hopefully students will catch on to one of them.  Most American Algebra programs are similar to this and the method of choice for TEACHERS seems to be this 'box' method... I can't stand the 'box method'-- it does not fit with the way most teens think--or the way "I" think!  Perhaps it is bad childhood memories of FAILING that chapter myself... I teach a method my 8th grade teacher showed me (she learned from a foreign exchange student).  My method is close to how Singapore Math teaches factoring polynomials (quadratics).  I've changed it up a bit over the years and my students now lovingly call it the "X-method".  It is a self-checking process that helps students think through the possible combinations and gives them visual clues to keep the problem in order (helps to keep negatives in right place).

I found this part of your post very interesting. I had to look up the "box method" to see what it was. I don't believe I've seen it before, but it doesn't look intuitive to me at all.

I remember learning to factor quadratics as a 12 year old algebra student and just absolutely NOT getting it. It was the first time in my math education that I could not grasp something, and I just fudged my way through. I really don't know what method our book or teacher used, except that I didn't understand it!

When factoring quadratics came up for my son this past year -- also 12 at the time -- I prepared to go really slow, remembering how frustrating that concept had been for me. We use Singapore, and as you say they use a sort of criss-cross matrix. Well, my ds got the idea more or less instantly. I had barely drawn the first chart when he said, "Oh, I get it," and started factoring away. :huh: 

We found some of these sections difficult.  We ended up re-doing several of them just for reinforcement.  My ds ended up taking 1 3/4 years to do this book.  I'm hoping he won't need too much review to head into Algebra 2.  He's doing MUS Geometry right now and I'm worried he won't remember some of those Algebra 1 topics. 

We love the teaching in the Lials, but the length of time it takes to get through the book is excruciating.  My ds wanted to destroy the book when he finished it!  I poo-poo'd that idea...we might need it for reference!

I would really prefer something less intense for Algebra 2, but we already have Intermediate Algebra and will probably make do.

Good luck choosing.

I'm not sure how to properly link the thread I was referring to in my original post but here is a cut/paste of the title of the thread:

"Having Lial's Algebra 1 struggles---considering a change---need help"

Thanks, Jann, for once again providing a thorough and reassuring response.  Thanks also to everyone else for responding!

~Melissa

Dd didn't have any troubles with any of that. The only problem I would say we had was factoring polynomials. She did great with it during the chapter, but learning so many different methods, she ended up getting them confused and I had to reteach factoring for the next couple of chapters each time we encountered it, because she just couldn't get it set in her mind even though she thought it was easy when she did that chapter.