Menu

New writing program from CAP...

Clear Creek

Rose, I'm wondering for your younger daughter, if you read the fables to her? Was she able to read them on her own? I was looking at prices on Rainbow Resource vs. CAP's prices, and wondered if the mp3 audio files are worth it, or if a child can easily read the selection on his own. I was thinking to do it more towards the end of 3rd grade.

I am not Rose, but I also have a 7 year old in Fable. He reads on his own. I think reading selections in CAP are easy. 

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose, I'm wondering for your younger daughter, if you read the fables to her? Was she able to read them on her own? I was looking at prices on Rainbow Resource vs. CAP's prices, and wondered if the mp3 audio files are worth it, or if a child can easily read the selection on his own. I was thinking to do it more towards the end of 3rd grade.

She could easily read the fables on her own.  She enjoyed it, in fact.  It was a nice way to get in some oral reading - the first day, she would read the passage aloud, narrate it back, and we'd do the discussion questions orally.  She loved that, and I was amazed at the insights and ideas that she was able to express.  I think the selections are very accessible and the Go Deeper questions are good.

CAP just put this on their Facebook page today: https://www.facebook.com/classicalacademicpress/posts/10152245135082475

Quote: "Writing & Rhetoric Book 4 releases now! Use discount code WR4NEW for 20% off ALL Writing & Rhetoric individual items (good until July 21st)"

I just ordered it! It seems that this is the book where they teach paragraph construction . . . I was wondering where that would be fitting in.

I do just get the student book - I looked at the sample of the TM, and I didn't see anything I needed. 

I don't let Shannon write in the books, because Morgan will use them too.  I do let her write in them - I cut off the spine and put them in a binder.  Finally, a perk of being the youngest!  ;)

I wish I could get a better feel for this program.  How would this work for students who have completed most of WWS 1 and have written a few essays?  They are capable writers but still need obvious work on flow, transitions, sentence structure (I have Killagon), and style.  Mostly, they need something that is enjoyable.  I can't make up my mind whether I want to continue with WWS and break it up with something like Writing and Rhetoric or completely jump ship and go with something else.  Would this be a waste of money and time for kids who are already writing?  I see CAP recommends it for grades 3 and 4 and up?  I seem to remember SWB recommending the upper levels of CAP's writing program for high school, yet they show it for 7-9th grade.

Well, my 6th grader did the first half of Narrative 2 when it came out in April.  She had completed most of WWS and written several pretty long reports for history/science - not thesis driven essays, but informational pieces.  She had a blast with Narrative 2, she found the assignments really fun.  I posted some of her writing on the Writing Workshop board.  We did modify the lessons - we went through all the lessons orally in one day, and she did her writing piece on the 2nd day, and I usually expanded the writing assignment for her so that her pieces were longer than what would be assigned to a typical 4th or 5th grader.  So she blew through it pretty quickly.  It was worth it for us b/c I was buying it to use with my younger anyway, and it filled a little gap we had with writing, anyway.

That said, I think the ideal situation would be to use Narrative 2 before WWS.  It gently introduces the skills that are taught more deeply in WWS.  So it was really review for my dd, but fun and pleasant review! The passages were easy, so her voice really came through in the writing.  It was worth it for us, but if I were in your situation I think I might skip the first three books and get Book 4 (Chreia/Proverb).  It still looks fun and engaging, but it is having the student write multi-paragraph essays following a controlled, model form.  I think it might be a more appropriate/challenging level for 12 yos who have already worked with WWS.  Of course, I haven't seen the whole thing yet, still waiting for it to arrive, but that's my feeling based on the sample.  I'm going to have my dd do Chreia/Proverb first thing in August - so, 7th grade.  Again, we will expand the assignments if needed to make them challenging for her, and we may skip some of the easier exercises.  But I like this program a lot and I think it will be good for her.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, from what I'm hearing, using WWE2 and W&R, the way they are intended to be used (WWE 4 days and W&R 2-4 days), is just fine? I'm hoping to use this as my plan starting Monday and scheduling it all out over the weekend...

BUT what if you add in Killgallon…can those of you using it be more specific with how you use it? I was considering using it for summer…but I'd love to have some idea of a better plan… I had Killgallon's SC for Elementary out and it ready to go, until I ran into W&R this morning, and have since read almost every post hear, and driven 45 minutes away to purchase Fables as well as already have it bound! (b/c I bind almost everything, and, yes, it IS an addiction)

Also, what about summarizing/narrating/dictation in other subjects like history and science? Those of you using W&R do you still do this?

Is that too much for this year, or next year? (3rd and 4th grade)

I also have Bravewriter ideas that have been in my head such as free writes, and gratitude journals on thursdays, etc…but I feel like that our schedule may be getting overloaded…

For the recored, I'm with a PP. We are also using Hake Grammar and Writing, and until this point, we were using the dictation in that and the journal writing, along with WWE2… so I'm figuring out how to place everything… sigh.

Those of you using Hake, how do you schedule it? And if you ARE using Hake are you ALSO using WWE??? :)

So, from what I'm hearing, using WWE2 and W&R, the way they are intended to be used (WWE 4 days and W&R 2-4 days), is just fine? I'm hoping to use this as my plan starting Monday and scheduling it all out over the weekend...

BUT what if you add in Killgallon…can those of you using it be more specific with how you use it? I was considering using it for summer…but I'd love to have some idea of a better plan… I had Killgallon's SC for Elementary out and it ready to go, until I ran into W&R this morning, and have since read almost every post hear, and driven 45 minutes away to purchase Fables as well as already have it bound! (b/c I bind almost everything, and, yes, it IS an addiction)

Also, what about summarizing/narrating/dictation in other subjects like history and science? Those of you using W&R do you still do this?

I also have Bravewriter ideas that have been in my head such as free writes, and gratitude journals on thursdays, etc…but I feel like that our schedule may be getting overloaded…

For the recored, I'm with a PP. We are also using Hake Grammar and Writing, and until this point, we were using the dictation in that and the journal writing, along with WWE2… so I'm figuring out how to place everything… sigh.

Those of you using Hake, how do you schedule it? And if you ARE using Hake are you ALSO using WWE??? :)

W&R 1&2 include oral narrations, copywork, and dictation in every lesson. Book 2 moves to including written narrations as well. I would not use WWE alongside it because they would overlap. If your student is not yet strong in narration and dictation I would use WWE for a semester (or however long is needed) before beginning W&R, but you could also use it at the same time if your student didn't mind that much work (mine would have rebelled).

I require oral narrations in science, literature, and history from 1st grade onwards. When they are older I occasionally ask for written summaries in either science or history, and outlining is practiced using the history text in 6th grade.

The W&R books, at 2 books per year, do not take up the whole school year. I use the Killgallon books for a month or so (20 minutes a day) after we finish a W&R book to change things up a little.

I think that would be a lot.

Yest we still do either science or history each week but not both in a week.

Probably

Can you drop the writing portions of Hake?

I used WWE3, Fable, Narrative and some Killgallon last year. We worked on the narration/summarization with WWE3 and skipped the dictations(well I started the year doing it all of it because WR came out after we started). I did it various ways throughout the year, sometimes we would do 2 days WWE/2 Days WR, sometimes we did straight WWE or WR. Most of the lessons in WR took us about 3 days, and when we got to the end of that book we finished up the rest of WWE3 (skipping dictations) and used it alongside Killgallon. The WWE work was for structure and the Killgallon for style.

That was all the writing we did, adding anymore in other subjects would have been too much for mine. We used MCT for grammar and did a few of the writing assignments but none that were very intensive, the above was just about right for writing for us.

Also, I think it depends on the kid, ds was 9 when we used it, so he could do more faster than he could have if we had done it when he was 8.

Thank you for your responses!

A poster previously shared their W&R schedule, a few pages back. I pasted this so that I could edit it, putting Killgallon on the off weeks. So it would be W&R for about two weeks, following with Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary. This means we would get to both Fables and Narative 1. It turns out this works quite nicely.

I will only do narrations in science and history orally, and not every time. Just once a week per subject or less. Since I'm doing Sonlight, they have questions to ask and create discussion... so this can be a jumping off point for finding the main points....maybe...

My daughter said she really really wants to still do Journal topics from Hake and the once a week dication... we will see how this goes.... but, yes, I do not want to do the writing lessons in Hake. way too much, and i feel not quite developmentally appropriate, they immediately jump to essay writing.

but... now I have WWE2 pages already filed behind my Sonlight binder weekly tabs... just sitting there asking me what will be done with them.... She really still needs to work on finding the main points in a passage/narration in the way that WWE does it. I feel that we need at least two days to complete a WWE Lesson, one day feels like too much, or have others done two WWE2 narrations for one lesson, in one day? OR I only do one summary a week, going through WWE2 slower? or drop it. just drop it altogether. I don't like the idea of finding passages to work with, when i already have WWE sheets and a detailed guide....

in theory, I would like to have 5 days of space for using and enjoying W&R but do not want to miss the WWE skills... Maybe once i begin this weeks I will find that I can do W&R in 3 days??? 

It may seem i'm not getting anywhere in my plan...but i think progress is being made....

i'm just going to do WWE with W&R and journal writing. I think it will work, but we will drop anything for the day or week, or year that is too much...taking it one step at a time. 

I also found this thread very helpful: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512725-if-im-using-cap-wr-fables-what-else-should-i-add-to-create-an-efficient-well-rounded-language-arts-combo-3rd-grade/?do=findComment&comment=6017876