Menu

New writing program from CAP...

Clear Creek

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would anybody feel about using this curriculum to teach more than one child at a time?  Doable?  

Not sure if you  mean teaching two children the same level or teaching two children with two different levels.  My son and daughter are both doing the first book and it is definitely doable to have them both doing it.

I just tried to purchase these books based on all of the wonderful reviews (and the samples), however postage to Aus is $55.40 for 2 books!  I'm used to paying exorbitant postage costs from the US, but this is particularly high!  Aside from Amazon, does anyone know if these books can be purchased elsewhere in the US? 

Does anyone know if they will release them quickly enough to enable using the program straight through? We are at the top end of the ability/ age for Fable, but I think it will work really well for us. Delays would definately be a deal breaker.

Regardless, it appears it is an excellent option for the 3rd/4th grade level. I guess we could drop into another classical program if we need to at a later time.

Sure! I love pictures!

Sorry I didn't get the pictures to you sooner. I actually forgot.  :blushing:

Here is the outside of her binder:

post-23641-0-16388600-1379538082_thumb.jpg

Here are the tabs I made on the inside for the different writing portions of the two books:

post-23641-0-97590500-1379538119_thumb.jpg

In case you can't read the tabs they are: Copywork/Dictation, Sentence Play, Summary/Rewrite, Copiousness, Amplifications

Does anyone know if they will release them quickly enough to enable using the program straight through? We are at the top end of the ability/ age for Fable, but I think it will work really well for us. Delays would definately be a deal breaker.

Regardless, it appears it is an excellent option for the 3rd/4th grade level. I guess we could drop into another classical program if we need to at a later time.

From what they said on their Facebook page the next set of two books are to be released this spring. They are already being beta tested right now from what I understand. They are planning on releasing two each year until they are finished with the series. If they are able to keep that publishing pace, then you would be able to stay with the program starting now.

From what they said on their Facebook page the next set of two books are to be released this spring. They are already being beta tested right now from what I understand. They are planning on releasing two each year until they are finished with the series. If they are able to keep that publishing pace, then you would be able to stay with the program starting now.

Oh that's great news!!

Sorry I didn't get the pictures to you sooner. I actually forgot. :blushing:

Here is the outside of her binder:

20130918_133731.jpg

Here are the tabs I made on the inside for the different writing portions of the two books:

20130918_133814.jpg

In case you can't read the tabs they are: Copywork/Dictation, Sentence Play, Summary/Rewrite, Copiousness, Amplifications

Love, love, love, love, love!!!!

We are on week 2 and so far loving it.

If you are using this program, do you supplement with any other writing program and if so, how do you schedule it?

We have so far substituted CAP dictation and copy work with WWE (I think WWE is more challenging in tht respect, although I am still a bit confused about dictation in CAP) + Killgallon. We have been using Killgallon on Mondays and Tuesdays, two days without any writing in CAP program (just discussion portions) and the rest of the week for CAP writing components. I am not sure if this is overkill or not.

Does anybody want to post weekly assignments similar to the WWS thread n K8 writing board?

If you are using this program, do you supplement with any other writing program and if so, how do you schedule it?

We have so far substituted CAP dictation and copy work with WWE (I think WWE is more challenging in tht respect, although I am still a bit confused about dictation in CAP) + Killgallon. We have been using Killgallon on Mondays and Tuesdays, two days without any writing in CAP program (just discussion portions) and the rest of the week for CAP writing components. I am not sure if this is overkill or not.

Does anybody want to post weekly assignments similar to the WWS thread n K8 writing board?

We just completed lesson 4 today and my little man is loving Writing & Rhetoric!  

We're doing Book 1 & 2 double time—both in the first semester—in order to complete them before we dive into and complete the second half of WWE 4 during our second semester.  You're right in that the copy work and dictation in WWE are more challenging.  I've been using W&R's second dictation selection and it's easy peasy for him after coming from WWE, but it's a nice start, or warm-up if you will, for the year.  We're completing two lessons a week, four days per week.  

We do the first half of a lesson on day 1—ending with dictation—and the second half on day 2.  Rinse and repeat for days 3 and 4, completing the second lesson of the week.  Recitation, for either or both, is on the 5th day.  Mind you, we're not doubling up every week.  I believe we have only 6 weeks that are doubled up, the rest are one lesson per week, for a total of 18 weeks of W&R.  Also, we do writing in other subjects as well, so this is enough for him right now.

I'm using W&R alongside WWE3 with my 4th grader (writing phobic child). We do W&R 3 days per week and WWE 2 days. I'm using the dictation in W&R instead of WWE, because the words in W&R are more appropriate to my son's spelling level. We use the shorter dictation. In WWE, we do the narrations, including dictating part of his narration to him. I also sometimes will replace both of those with a R&S writing lesson as they come up, if they seem applicable.

So far, the W&R lessons have been doable in 2-3 days.

I'm wondering if someone that has received these books could tell me how religious-based they are? I see the parables in Narrative sample, and the first story seems fine but the next seems to include more, which I would be inclined to skip over. Are the rest of the lessons fairly secular, or would I probably just have to skip this book and find an alternative?

The Fables books is all fables, no religious content.

The Narrative book has 10 lessons, and the first two are parables from the New Testament.  One of those lessons has some bible scriptures and asks the student to say which of them best fit the main theme of the parable.  This is what you see in the sample, so it does make it look like it's a heavily Christian-content based program, but it's not.  The other selections are from greek mythology (the majority) but there are also traditional american, chinese and african stories.

We run a 100% secular & polyatheist homeschool over here, and nothing in the book troubles me, btw.  Of course YMMV.

We just finished lesson 1.  It worked out great!  I'm using it with my 5th grader, whom I know is a little old for the 1st books, but she is a reluctant writer.  She has the ability, just not the confidence.  This book seems like it work wonderfully to help her with that.  She was worried about the re-write this morning, but when she finished she told me it was really fun.  I'm really excited about using this program!

I'm a little annoyed by shipping times (through Amazon). I ordered my TM 6 weeks ago, it was postponed some more, finally got it just recently and decided I need the Student book. Well looks like that one's now not shipping for another 3 weeks, too. :cursing:

This is exactly what happened to us. Only I just placed an order with Rainbow Resources (i needed math as well) and it doesn't say anything about the delay. I need to call, but I am really hoping they have those books in stock. While you are waiting, you can print out the first three weeks of student pages from the sample on CAP website.

We do CAP one week (one chapter), then the next week we do narration and dictation from literature, history, or science. I focus on mechanics that week. Both weeks we are doing MCT Island, a practice sentence to analyze ever day and reading through SI, BL, and MOTH as they are scheduled.

We do writing 3 or 4 days a week and MCT every day.

Well, this week WR1 only took 2 days and we did WWE3 the other 2 days, we did narration- ds wrote it out himself, then another narration that I wrote for him and dictation. We are doing MCT every day, just finished Grammar Island this week and moving onto Sentence Island, we are about 1/2 way through Music of the Hemispheres. I aim for about 30ish minutes for writing activities and about 90 minutes total LA, excluding literature(read-alouds and ssr).

We do CAP one week (one chapter), then the next week we do narration and dictation from literature, history, or science. I focus on mechanics that week. Both weeks we are doing MCT Island, a practice sentence to analyze ever day and reading through SI, BL, and MOTH as they are scheduled.

We do writing 3 or 4 days a week and MCT every day.

Do you school year round? According to your schedule you will only get through half of CAP in a year. I would love to alternate weeks as well,  but I don't want to fall behind.

Well, this week WR1 only took 2 days and we did WWE3 the other 2 days, we did narration- ds wrote it out himself, then another narration that I wrote for him and dictation. We are doing MCT every day, just finished Grammar Island this week and moving onto Sentence Island, we are about 1/2 way through Music of the Hemispheres. I aim for about 30ish minutes for writing activities and about 90 minutes total LA, excluding literature(read-alouds and ssr).

We have 2.5 hours slotted for English and I am including a generous 1 hour reading time, which leaves us 1.5 hours for the rest. It should be enough, right? Somehow it seems like we are always running short (yes, my kids fetch water, use restrooms, count flies  :p).

Today he did amplification exercise from chapter 2 and I just don't think it's good enough. We should be moving on tomorrow, but I decided to have him work more on the same thing. This sort of thing happens to us all the time.

I have to take kids to soccer right now, but later I am going to start a CAP Assignments thread on K8 writing board and post what he did the first week. I had him rework his original to get it to the current form and I would love to know if I should be doing what I am doing, or relaxing a bit. It's hard to know how he is doing when you have no point of reference. :unsure:

Can anyone clarify for me - I can't make copies of the workbook pages for later (siblings)?

I'm just having my oldest do all of her writing in a notebook. 

ETA:  I emailed them to make sure this was ok.  They replied that they do give permission to make copies within immediate families.

Do you school year round? According to your schedule you will only get through half of CAP in a year. I would love to alternate weeks as well,  but I don't want to fall behind.

We do school year round, but I only plan for 36 weeks of school. A couple of the chapters in CAP are very short and easily can be combined into the next chapter. Here is my schedule:

Fable:

1) Lesson 1

2) Lesson 2

3) off

4) Lesson 3

5) Lesson 4

6) off 

7) Lesson 5

8) Lesson 6 

9) off

10) Lesson 7

11) Lesson 8 and 9

12) off 

13) Lesson 10

14) Lesson 11

15) off

16) Lesson 12

17) Lesson 13

18) off

19) Lesson 14

Narrative 1:

20) Lesson 1 and 2

21) off

22) Lesson 3

23) Lesson 4

24) off

25) Lesson 5

26) Lesson 6

27) off

28) Lesson 7

29) Lesson 8

30) off

31) Lesson 9

32) off

33)Lesson 10

34) off

35) off

36) off

We do alternate weeks, but do two weeks of CAP in a row. Sorry I didn't explain that correctly in my original post (children talking in my ear while trying to type!). You are right. If you followed the guidelines in the front of the book of one week, then one week off (I was originally going to do that, but quickly realized it wouldn't work.), you would run out of a school year. I started doubling up weeks and came up with the above schedule after some trial and error.

Today he did amplification exercise from chapter 2 and I just don't think it's good enough. We should be moving on tomorrow, but I decided to have him work more on the same thing. This sort of thing happens to us all the time.

I have to take kids to soccer right now, but later I am going to start a CAP Assignments thread on K8 writing board and post what he did the first week. I had him rework his original to get it to the current form and I would love to know if I should be doing what I am doing, or relaxing a bit. It's hard to know how he is doing when you have no point of reference. :unsure:

This is why I'm truly glad that we (student AND teacher) are coming to W&R *from* WWE. If I had to do it over again, I'd still want us to start out with WWE and then switch to W&R—currently our in-between before WWS. Yes, WWE is challenging and my little man didn't always like it, but it was/is so worth the time and effort.

Hmmm... I am using the WWE teachers guide but not the workbooks. I was planning on CW Aesop next year in 3rd, but y'all have about convinced me to try W&R instead. I'll keep watching y'all's progress this year. Do you mind being my guinea pigs? Lol. I think I can still use WWE just in other subjects since we're using the techniques and not the actual student book.

I really love the look of this program. I am currently using WWE3 with my 5th grader. This is our first year homeschooling, and he has struggled in school for a while, and has some comprehension/inference issues. Anyways, I love this and think he would also. I want to continue with WWE3 since we already have it, but if I end up using this program would it be best to begin from the beginning? It is so tempting to order this! Wondering if we could manage this alongside WWE3..

I really love the look of this program. I am currently using WWE3 with my 5th grader. This is our first year homeschooling, and he has struggled in school for a while, and has some comprehension/inference issues. Anyways, I love this and think he would also. I want to continue with WWE3 since we already have it, but if I end up using this program would it be best to begin from the beginning? It is so tempting to order this! Wondering if we could manage this alongside WWE3..

Even if WWE 3 were completed first, it seems to me that it would be more beneficial to start W&R from the beginning with Book 1: Fables.

WEll, that would make a difference for me.  I need 2 WR books and 3 Latin for Children books.  It feels almost too good to be true, but sure would be nice for a big family like mine.   :)

It's true. :) I specifically asked about my dd writing her answers in a notebook so we could use the book again for future siblings.  They thanked me for my concern about copyright policies, and answered that they allowed copies within immediate families.

I don't know if I should ask this question in another thread, so feel free to move it if necessary, but I was wondering what writing programs you all are leaving behind to use this new one by CAP?

I am currently debating WWE and IEW and have been for a while (DS9 currently using WWE, and I am watching TWSS again).  Ideally I would like to use both for my DS9, but I think it would just be too much for him.  I have purchased W&R however it is on backorder and not available until October. 

Do you think W&R will combine the skills of both WWE & IEW?

You can probably see where my questions are going?  I'd love a program that combined both WWE & IEW without having to use 2 separate programs.

We started Fable today, and today's lesson was a hit!  She definitely likes retelling/narrations better than summaries!  

I could tell it made an impact, because for her reading practice today she chose Squids Will Be Squids to read aloud . . . and later, when we were wrestling and I started tickling her, she said, "Mom, in everything do to others what you would have them do to you!!"  So I think it stuck  ;)

We started Fable today, and today's lesson was a hit!  She definitely likes retelling/narrations better than summaries!  

I could tell it made an impact, because for her reading practice today she chose Squids Will Be Squids to read aloud . . . and later, when we were wrestling and I started tickling her, she said, "Mom, in everything do to others what you would have them do to you!!"  So I think it stuck  ;)

Oh that is so cute!!!

I  ordered form CAP too...I copared with Amazon and Rainbow...for one reason or the other, I would still have to order at least some thing from CAP and even with the shipping from CAP, it was going to be about even price wise...not to mention that i wanted to use paypal money...and Amazon doesn't accept that form of payment....a week isn't too bad....I am eager to start using the books.