Menu

New writing program from CAP...

Clear Creek

I resisted reading this thread since I just ordered the WWE student pages.  Gave into temptation, took a look at the samples, and immediately placed an order.  This looks perfect for us!  My dd was always annoyed that the lit selections in WWE were only snippets  rather than the full stories. She will be thrilled with this!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going straight to the narrative book, but my son completed Classical Writing-Aesop A last year in 3rd grade. I spoke with a rep from CAP, and she seemed to think that was appropriate. I was concerned about rewriting all the same fables we did last year. While I know that is truly not a problem, I know my son would probably prefer different stories (with only a couple ones we've rewritten before).

My biggest challenge is that I commited to going through the IEW-A with two other friends whose children are my son's age. I am hoping I can schedule the IEW so that we are able to still sneak in a W&R lesson every once in a while. Since it is only a semester course, I think it can be done - or at least I really hope so!

So I got both books, and I'm actually thinking of doing some of the lessons in the Narrative book with my dd10, as breaks from WWS.  I think she could use some more practice with narration - her narrations are getting increasingly incoherent as she's reading more complex nonfiction, and I think it wouldn't hurt to focus on that for a little while.  Not all the lessons, but some of them.  I think we would do it fairly quickly, and definitely not do all the sections, but yes, I think there could definitely be benefit to working on this with a 10 yo.

And I'm thinking my dd7 might do fine with the Fable book.  She's working on WWE2, and she has no trouble with copywork or dictation.  She's still struggling a bit with narrations, but I haven't really been liking the passages in WWE so far.  I think it would be infinitely simpler to work with narrations using fables, which are self-contained short stories, rather than using the passages in WWE.  I think for her, the guided exercises would be great.  I'm thinking of trying it - we could always do it alternate weeks with WWE, no hurry.

Anyway, it is very well done and accessible to any age child who is ready for or needs to work on the specific skills  - I don't think it's just a 3rd/4th grade program.  You would need to adapt it, clearly, and skip parts of it with an older kid.

Before starting, it seems like kids should be very comfortable with the physical act of writing, and have a grasp of sentences - subjects and predicates, and the basic parts of speech (nouns, verbs, adjectives mostly) though that is covered.  I don't think there is anything inherently too difficult for a 2nd grader who is an eager writer.  But we shall see!

Mine has been delayed in shipment by almost 2 weeks!  Wah!!!!!

Where did you order from? I'm looking at Amazon, but it says it will take 1-3 weeks....is there a delay from CAP, as well?

Well, after seeing the shipping from CAP, I just decided to order from Amazon, and I just ordered the teacher's guide for the first set to try it out. It was a lot cheaper and I'm willing to wait a few weeks, especially since we don't *need* it. :) Thanks, ladies...

So we've been through a week of this program. We are currently on our "off" week focusing on narration//dictation/copywork.

While my dd tolerated WWE, she really adores this program. I love that it gets us talking about what makes good writing. Once she had written her version of The Lion and The Mouse, we talked about why The Lion and the Mouse was longer than her version. She quickly noticed that the original had more details than hers. We talked about what extra details she could have added to her story, more setting descriptions, more character descriptions, etc. It's exactly the kind of writing approach I wanted to use with her, but was never sure how to pull off. So far, very, very good program.

Here's her fable rewrite, The Mouse and The Firefly

post-23641-0-58959900-1377277655_thumb.jpg

Our sets arrived this week, but we won't actually start using them until next week, when we begin our new year of studies.  

Upon arrival however, whilst I flipped through them and approvingly commented on this or that, my little man stationed himself beside my rocking chair in order to witness this inspection and was hovering over my shoulder when his curiosity unconsciously compelled him to reach for the new books and ask, "Oh, may I please read through these right now, too?"   :drool:

Ha!  I've got him right where I want him - hook, line, and sinker!   

Ds just did his amplification of the Hunter and Doves, up until now we've only used WWE(on WWE3 now). I scribed for ds as his hand strength still cannot keep up with his brain. I hope to have him proficient with typing this year! He really enjoyed doing the work and I had to work with him not to add words just for the sake of adding words but to make sure it was adding something interesting to the story. Plenty of room for improvement but a nice start nonetheless.

As a flock of Doves were flying through the forest on a hot summer day they saw some seeds scattered on the ground. While they were eating a Hunter hiding behind a clump of trees threw a net on them. The birds were trapped under the net and could not fly. The King Dove told the Doves to lift a portion of the net and flap their wings. Doing so the Doves flew up in the air and escaped the Hunter.

We're halfway through Lesson 3. My son loved the Lion and Mouse rewrite (he did "The Mouse and the Termite" and appropriately changed the setting to a house, etc.). Then even AFTER he had to write that whole fable, the next day when I said, "Do you want to do math or writing first?", he said, "Writing!" :D This is a mathy kid who is writing phobic, so it was amazing that he actually wanted to do writing! A couple other times, he's asked if we could do writing next when we were deciding on a subject. He is really enjoying it, and it has him actually writing. :)

My younger kids often join in for the Sentence Play, thinking up alternate endings or words for a sentence. My oldest will think of a couple, then the younger two will each think of at least one. Fun for the whole family. :lol:

Then when we got to the amplification of the Hunter and the Doves story, I was really expecting some hemming and hawing about making the story longer, but no! He actually happily went about his work, adding a few details here and there. He didn't add much more than soror's son did, but he did add things, and I was VERY happy with the result. Like soror, I was so pleased to see a nice start to amplifying things! And that concept is practiced multiple times in the book.

I'm so glad I clicked "buy" on this set! It is really going very well here. I also love that it's not exactly the same thing every day. There are a few things that you do every lesson (CM-style narration of the fable, looking at a bit of vocabulary, copywork, and dictation), but the rest of the lesson is different each time, so it keeps it exciting.

Next thing I have to do is cut the spine off the workbook. They really should have spiral bound this book or used perforated pages. I plan to deal with it this week, since we're almost done with the sample pages that I printed out. There is no way that workbook would stay open for writing in.

Oh, I totally agree w/ the binding of the book. I really wish publishers would spiral bind everything.

I am quite enjoying the varied lessons, especially after the very predictable WWE. There is really a lot to each lesson. I'm still trying to figure out how to best divide each one. We have finished 2 lessons now, taking 3 days for both and we were working 20-40 minutes each of those days, usually closer to 30-40min. We are breaking next week so I'm planning to sit and read through the book and plan it out more. I'm thinking we'll do WWE 2-3 days and then CAP 3 days.

We finished the first week here too. My daughter is allergic to writing (as someone else stated earlier) and there wasn't nearly as much complaining as I expected. In fact, she loved it up to the point when she had to rewrite the fable. We had The Mouse and the Cricket here. She narrated a great version onto my iPad, but cut it way back when she actually wrote it on paper. Anyway, she did ask for writing early in the week after we started it and really enjoyed everything but rewriting the story. I think that's because she still is still struggling with the physical process of writing. I'm calling it a success, so far. Also, I did cut the binding off and had it spiral bound.

Next thing I have to do is cut the spine off the workbook. They really should have spiral bound this book or used perforated pages. I plan to deal with it this week, since we're almost done with the sample pages that I printed out. There is no way that workbook would stay open for writing in.

I did this already. I definitely recommend that you spiral bind the TM and the Student book. It makes it so much easier.

I also made a writing binder for dd so she can write her answers on notebook paper which saves the book for my other kids. She uses the student book for reading the stories and the questions.

Amazon's search for this is not good. I've been looking for the Teacher's edition for the second book all day and have not seen it until I clicked the post above.

Ok, this is a dumb question - but how do you put spiral binding on a workbook if you don't have the equipment at home? Does Kinko's do this? Is the tool cheap? What is it called, even?

Are you sure you wanna head down this road? I've read that those who have it spiral bind everything. It becomes an addiction. :D

Are you sure you wanna head down this road? I've read that those who have it spiral bind everything. It becomes an addiction. :D

Yeah, in all seriousness, I actually prefer not to do it anymore. It's nice when I'm using the book, but it's frustrating to look at a bookshelf and be looking at a bunch of spiral binding. I don't have the book in hand yet, so I might feel different when I get it.

Ok, this is a dumb question - but how do you put spiral binding on a workbook if you don't have the equipment at home? Does Kinko's do this?  Is the tool cheap?  What is it called, even?

I get it done at our Office Depot. You take it to their printing center in the store. I asked them to chop the binding off of mine and spiral bind it. It cost me $5 for both the tm and the student book of fable.

Ok, this is a dumb question - but how do you put spiral binding on a workbook if you don't have the equipment at home? Does Kinko's do this? Is the tool cheap? What is it called, even?

I spiral bond bunch of paper in Office Depot and it cost me $5.

Chelli I was typing at the same time.

Here they charge $5 per book.

I tore mine apart last night and Proclicked it. I just broke the spine, pulled out each page, one by one, and had my hair dryer handy for glue spots. :lol: Then I trimmed off 1/4 inch and used the Proclick. It looks nice now. :D

Would have been worth the $1 or so to have an office supply store chop it off though. I just haven't tried any around here yet and don't know who to trust.

I also made a writing binder for dd so she can write her answers on notebook paper which saves the book for my other kids. She uses the student book for reading the stories and the questions.

I like this idea, I was going to just go with the teacher's but after looking at the samples more closely, I'm going to do it this way and then I can still re-use the student book. Now, just have to wait! At least I've got 3 weeks of samples.

I tore mine apart last night

:lol:  You tore it apart?  I'm picturing it with your bare hands....

I would pay $1 but I asked Kinko's about cutting the binding off of Henle and got a $5 quote.  I'm going later to see if a thinner book costs less. 

I've been wanting to cut off the binding of AoPS. 

:lol: You tore it apart? I'm picturing it with your bare hands....

:lol: I did use my bare hands, and yeah, I pulled out one page at a time, starting in the middle. It wasn't very difficult. Just took a little while. If you use this method, have a hair dryer handy, because glue sometimes seeps onto the pages in spots. Mostly, they pulled out pretty easily though. :)

:lol: I did use my bare hands, and yeah, I pulled out one page at a time, starting in the middle. It wasn't very difficult. Just took a little while. If you use this method, have a hair dryer handy, because glue sometimes seeps onto the pages in spots. Mostly, they pulled out pretty easily though. :)

Gutsy! 

The problem is beginning the process of ripping apart a new book.  I'm looking at it right now, and I.can't.do.it.  With Kinko's I'm not doing anything physical, and don't they slice through it very quickly before you can yell stop?

I like this idea, I was going to just go with the teacher's but after looking at the samples more closely, I'm going to do it this way and then I can still re-use the student book. Now, just have to wait! At least I've got 3 weeks of samples.

I can take a picture of what I did if you'd like to see.

Do you think it would be possible to have your child dictate the story to you or tell it on video, and then write from that?  I was going to use parts of CW Aesop and IEW with DS this year, just like I did with his sisters, but I really like the looks of this program over CW.  Somehow this DC is using all different programs!  :lol:  DS has a fine motor delay, most likely dysgraphia like my oldest, so I think we would have to work up to him writing the whole story if I want it to be his best effort.  He can narrate very well, but the physical writing catches him every time.  

Gutsy! 

The problem is beginning the process of ripping apart a new book.  I'm looking at it right now, and I.can't.do.it.  With Kinko's I'm not doing anything physical, and don't they slice through it very quickly before you can yell stop?

An alternative is a razor blade and a ruler.  I unbound my copies (and most of my other books) this way.

Quick question for those who have started - for the dictation, are you supposed to dictate one sentence at a time or all of them at once? Just want to make sure we are doing it right...

Do you think it would be possible to have your child dictate the story to you or tell it on video, and then write from that?  I was going to use parts of CW Aesop and IEW with DS this year, just like I did with his sisters, but I really like the looks of this program over CW.  Somehow this DC is using all different programs!  :lol:  DS has a fine motor delay, most likely dysgraphia like my oldest, so I think we would have to work up to him writing the whole story if I want it to be his best effort.  He can narrate very well, but the physical writing catches him every time.  

I'm wondering the same thing. I may try it with me as a scribe for one of my kids.

Quick question for those who have started - for the dictation, are you supposed to dictate one sentence at a time or all of them at once? Just want to make sure we are doing it right...

I think it says somewhere in the teacher instructions to dictate one sentence at a time. That's what I've been doing.

I'm wondering the same thing. I may try it with me as a scribe for one of my kids.

I did the first week w/ ds writing and although we made it through and he enjoyed it I decided to scribe for him on the last lesson. I wanted him to focus more on the creative aspect and not the physical part. I did have him write everything but the story itself. His hand strength is improving but he certainly is still not as quick as his brain. We've been working on increasing his writing stamina this year so hopefully by the end he can write it all himself. I should have had him copy his story after I wrote it out, next time I will do that. I'm still trying to figure out how best to schedule everything so we have some kinks to iron out.

An alternative is a razor blade and a ruler.  I unbound my copies (and most of my other books) this way.

I usually use a rotary cutter and rotary cutter ruler (it's longer than a regular ruler, and much thicker). The rotary cutter works best on thinner workbooks though. This one would have been a bit too thick, I think. Though if I had broken the spine and sliced the book in half in the middle, I probably could have used it on each half. That certainly would have been easier!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody want to give an update on how it's going with WR from CAPS?  Just curious.....I have a 3rd grader in WWE2 and a 4th grader in WWE3 and we are really struggling...

Okay....I'll bite first.  :D

I asked my dd9 for her opinion. She likes it because she gets to record her stories and the fables on my iPod. She likes it because she gets to write her own stories. When I asked her which she liked better, this writing program or the ones we were doing before (WWE 3 and IEW). She quickly said, "This one!"

My opinion: This program has my dd and I talking about writing and what makes good writing for the first time EVER! We've been doing WWE faithfully, but this program has taken writing as a subject and made it more organic, but with structure. I love that aspect of it. I also like how it incrementally builds their writing skill. 

It is definitely a keeper around here, but I was pretty certain when I first saw it that it was exactly what I"d been wanting and what dd9 would enjoy. I was right about that. I usually don't order "hot off the presses" programs; I wait around to see if the hype is worth the cash. However, I know my dd (and myself) well enough that I knew this would work.

Also happy here. When asked which subject my son wants to do next, it's not uncommon for him to say, "Writing!" That NEVER happened before. :lol: He writes without complaint. There is something about this program that he just has more fun with. He especially likes the sentence play sections, coming up with different ways to say things.

We still use WWE 2 days per week for the narration practice (my son likes them), but W&R is being used the other 3 days each week. Definitely a keeper here. I also don't usually jump on a new release like this, but this one called to me and said my son would like it. :D