Menu

astronomy for 8th grade

DD wants to change gears. It's not totally last minute, and it is her last year before high school requirements start...

What are the Hive's favorite astronomy and space exploration books for middle school kids and/or early high school?

We already own a telescope, and there's a monthly earth and space open house thing at a college in decent driving distance. We're aiming at roughly 30-40 minutes a day, and this won't be her only science.

(She was originally going to do architecture with her little brother as an elective, and do a separate biology course. Now she wants me to make her portion of architecture deeper, and do astronomy for a second science block.)

Thanks! Teaching Company fell out of my brain. That one sounds like a great spine. Their Experiencing Hubble looks good too.

The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millennium sounds like a much better option than the Astronomy Today (800+ pages) I found earlier.

A high school thread I found also suggested the Through the Wormhole show with Morgan Freeman. The description made me want to watch it...

My son is in 4th, but is a huge space nut (knows all the details about what rockets were used for which missions, what was accomplished, who was involved, etc), so we are making our own this year. We are using the Encyclopedia of Space as our spine and adding in experiments/activities from How the Universe Works, the NASA Educators website, and NASA's Teaching Materials as well as using some of The Great Courses. He is really excited to get this year started :) 

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone else was interested, we went with a 21st Century Astronomy textbook by Hester for our spine. It's introductory college level. The reading is surprisingly pleasant, and the book is easy on the eyes. (Unlike the jr/sr high texts we looked at. Yeowch.) If we don't get the whole book finished we'll still have a great astronomy year.

We'll add the Experiencing Hubble Great Course, Through the Wormhole DVD series, and check out that earth and space open house as often as we can. DD is excited.