Menu

Classical Writing Diogenes:Maxim question

For those of you who have used CW, do you think it is necessary to have done Aesop and Homer before starting Maxim? I'm considering using CW along side WWS 1 this year (we're half way through WWS 1), but I'm not sure if it's OK to jump into Maxim or if we need to do Aesop and Homer first.

TIA,

Kim

To answer your question: Yes, you can do Maxim without having done Aesop/Homer. I do like the instruction for the six sentence shuffle in Homer though.

And to give you unsolicited advice: I own CW (Aesop/Homer for Older Beginners, Diogenes, Herodotus, Plutarch), WWS 1, WWS 2 Beta Version, and The Lost Tools of Writing...and I am trying to implement them all at the same time. I am learning the hard way that it is okay to just pick ONE writing program. They each are complete programs all by themselves.

To answer your question: Yes, you can do Maxim without having done Aesop/Homer. I do like the instruction for the six sentence shuffle in Homer though.

And to give you unsolicited advice: I own CW (Aesop/Homer for Older Beginners, Diogenes, Herodotus, Plutarch), WWS 1, WWS 2 Beta Version, and The Lost Tools of Writing...and I am trying to implement them all at the same time. I am learning the hard way that it is okay to just pick ONE writing program. They each are complete programs all by themselves.

Thanks for the reply and for sharing your advice. I'm always willing to learn from the experiences of others. :)

I have been reluctant to do more than one writing program, but my ds 12 likes variety. He tolerates WWS, but it's not a favorite. So, we would alternate weeks with the programs.

Kim

But which one have you picked and how did you decide?   :huh:

But which one have you picked and how did you decide? :huh:

Love them ALL...just love them ALL...so...

We are doing The Lost Tools of Writng right now (dd15, ds13, and ds11)...will move dd15 to CW Herodotus and the boys will finish Diogenes.

How did I decide? The Lost Tool of Writing works well for a group. We watch the instructional dvd's together. It's a whole to parts study of the basic essay. I enjoy Classical Writing because it feels like it overanalyzes everything which I seem to specialize in. ;-)

Yes you can do Diogenes so long as your ds knows how to do narrations ... that's what Aesop and Homer teach.  You can also do the 4 week Accelerated Homer class or do a quick survey of the core.  I'll be doing that with a class of kids this year... they have already done narration work with another program last year but there are elements in Homer that they didn't get.  So we will take 4 weeks or so to survey both the A&I and the WPs... Then we will begin Diogenese.