Menu

A story older than the Epic of Gilgamesh??

Pata

My friend told me that she had run across a book in the library that said it was older than Gilgamesh. It's called Lugalbanda: the boy who got caught in a war,. I checked the book out and it claims to be an oral tale told in Ancient Sumer that was later written down in cuniform on clay tablets. Those tablets were found 150 years ago during a dig and the subsequently translated. Has anyone else heard of this?

IIRC there are two extant Lugalbanda texts. Supposedly he was the father of Gilgamesh and is mentioned in Gilgamesh as well. However, I don't think Gilgamesh is mentioned in the Lugalbanda texts.

We read through Lugalbanda this past year when we were studying Sumer. It was a neat story but I really can't remember how Gilgamesh comes in...I think he was the son of Lugalbanda? I don't recall if that is mentioned in the Lugalbanda book. Our library had a nice copy w/ cool pictures. Worth finding if your library has it.

We read through Lugalbanda this past year when we were studying Sumer. It was a neat story but I really can't remember how Gilgamesh comes in...I think he was the son of Lugalbanda? I don't recall if that is mentioned in the Lugalbanda book. Our library had a nice copy w/ cool pictures. Worth finding if your library has it.

Ditto. :)

Kelli

I just bought it recently on the strength of that claim. I like the illustrations a lot, but DD, at 12, is really way to old for it. I just like it, though.

It is not clear to me whether the story is FROM the epic of Gilgamesh or whether it predates it and is from another source. However, it is a story from the boyhood of the father of Gilgamesh.