Menu

Writers Express - how have you used it?

SunnyDays

We jut got the Writers Express handbook, the one put out by Write Source. It looks great and has a wealth of information. I'm curious how others have used this. Do you let your student read sections of it? Do you use the ideas to teach them yourself? Just as a guide?

I can see this being very useful, and I'm planning to combine it with Bravewriter activities... I'm just not exactly sure how that will look!! :)

I really like this book. A LOT! Right now I'm very mobile and often don't have it with me when I need it, so am having to look at other options. I'm thinking of scanning the whole blasted thing. I don't teach with workbooks, so it works for me.

For the grammar, I had students copy examples and then compose their own examples.

I really like the gathering grid for mini research papers.

The paragraphing instructions are perfect. I don't teach formulaic writing anymore, and just love, love, love the paragraphing instructions.

• 1 month later...

I have the "Writer's Inc." book and use it mostly as a reference. I also have the "Daily Language Workouts" and "Skillsbook" workbooks that go along with Writer's Inc. I use the former as standardized test prep and the latter to supplement MCT for my 2nd child and as needed with my oldest when I come across errors in her writing.

We have it, tried to use it as a reference as well as read it aloud together, it just didn't work for us.  It is a terrific resource, but one of those that sits on the shelf.

We recently found the Prentice Hall Writing and Grammar for each grade level, and it is much like Writer's Express but with assignments and grammar included.  This one is actually getting used!