Menu

How would you list this?

DD did biology in 8th grade, using Campbell's Concepts and Connections. She did a lot of cellular bio, organisms, evolution, spent 160 hours, enough for a solid high school biology credit. I currently have it on the transcript with a note "taken before 9th grade" just so nobody wonders about the absence of bio in grades 9 and up. She has enough science credits without.

However, we did not cover cellular reproduction and genetics thoroughly enough, and I also feel that cell bio could benefit from a run-through now after she had chemistry. She has no science course scheduled for spring of senior year, so I was thinking of maybe doing a half credit. She'll just do cell bio and genetics, no interest in running through the mosses and ferns and fish again.

How would you list this on the transcript? I want to keep things from looking overly complicated.

1. Leave 8th grade bio as "before 9th, 1 credit", add "whatever-name-you-suggest-bio" in 12th, 0.5 credit

2. Treat 12th grade bio studies as completing the biology course that was started back then and simply list 1 bio credit for 12th, when the course is completed

3. other?

2. Treat 12th grade bio studies as completing the biology course that was started back then and simply list 1 bio credit for 12th, when the course is completed

I like option #2.  Take it with a grain of salt as I have "zero" experience with this kind of stuff!  :)  However, it seems to me if she "finished" the course (including all the stuff you wanted included) you could legitimately count it for 12th grade.  Perhaps put a footnote if you felt it necessary, but I don't think it would be necessary.

:)

Hot Lava Mama

I would just list the Science courses that she has taken even though she took Bio in 8th(I would definitely leave out the 8th grade part--no one cares about that in a college admissions office--they just want to see that she took it and passed it.)  If you have to for 9th grade say Bio I, 10th grade next Science course, 11th grade next Science course and 12th grade Bio II or a name that better suits what she will be studying.

I would just list the Science courses that she has taken even though she took Bio in 8th(I would definitely leave out the 8th grade part--no one cares about that in a college admissions office--they just want to see that she took it and passed it.)

There are frequent discussions on the board that some colleges specifically ask to see the coursework completed during the last four years of high school only, and how classes taken before 9th do not "count".

I would not want to misrepresent what she did, and I would normally not even list anything before 9th grade - except that the absence of expected courses like biology or algebra 1 raises questions. I did not count those in the number of credits, and I do not include the grades in the GPA.

But I do have qualms about claiming work done during high school while, in fact, part of the work was done prior. Does that make any sense?

OTOH, my DS has started two high school courses in 8th that he will be finishing in 9th, and those I definitely count.... hm, is it very different because of the time gap?

Yes, it makes sense.  I used to work for a school and did a lot of high school transcripts and what I posted is what we were told.  We had many of the students doing high school classes in 8th grade and were told to list it that way.  The other school of thought was to leave those courses off the transcript because if the level of courses increased it was obvious that the other courses had been taken.  I'm not of the mind of trying to tell anyone to be dishonest, this was just my experience when preparing transcripts.

Just to muddy the waters, I like your first choice ~

"1. Leave 8th grade bio as "before 9th, 1 credit", add "whatever-name-you-suggest-bio" in 12th, 0.5 credit"

If the 12th grade half credit course also has a lab component, I'd be sure to label it as such.

For a course title: Cellular Reproduction and Genetics. 

Regards,

Kareni

DD did biology in 8th grade, using Campbell's Concepts and Connections. She did a lot of cellular bio, organisms, evolution, spent 160 hours, enough for a solid high school biology credit. I currently have it on the transcript with a note "taken before 9th grade" just so nobody wonders about the absence of bio in grades 9 and up. She has enough science credits without.

However, we did not cover cellular reproduction and genetics thoroughly enough, and I also feel that cell bio could benefit from a run-through now after she had chemistry. She has no science course scheduled for spring of senior year, so I was thinking of maybe doing a half credit. She'll just do cell bio and genetics, no interest in running through the mosses and ferns and fish again.

How would you list this on the transcript? I want to keep things from looking overly complicated.

1. Leave 8th grade bio as "before 9th, 1 credit", add "whatever-name-you-suggest-bio" in 12th, 0.5 credit

3. other?

Other.  I'd list a 12th grade course in Cellular Reproduction and Genetics, and give her 0.5 credit for that course. (I would keep the "taken before 9th grade" credit as is.)

One question---if she has done enough in the 12th grade cellular reproduction and genetics course for a "solid high school credit"  why would you only give a half credit?  That doesn't seem to do justice to the amount of time and energy she has put into this course.

If I read correctly, it was the already-completed 8th grade biology course that was a solid high school credit.

btw, I like option 1.

One question---if she has done enough in the 12th grade cellular reproduction and genetics course for a "solid high school credit"  why would you only give a half credit?  That doesn't seem to do justice to the amount of time and energy she has put into this course.

She did enough for a high school credit in biology in 8th grade. She has not done any 12th grade bio yet.

She will be taking a full credit of Modern Physics in 12th, so she will only have time for a half credit in cellular reproduction.

She did enough for a high school credit in biology in 8th grade. She has not done any 12th grade bio yet.

She will be taking a full credit of Modern Physics in 12th, so she will only have time for a half credit in cellular reproduction.

Ah-that makes more sense. 

I think I would list them separately; the work she will do in 12th will probably be more difficult and challenging than what she completed earlier.  Separating them would allow someone reviewing her transcript to see the difference and highlight her advancing interest in science.  Plus-that would make the bio course from earlier into a 1.5 credit class (presumably plus lab) and that would seem a bit odd. 

I would go with option 1--Biology listed as "taken before 9th grade", for 1 credit, and a course called Cellular Reproduction and Genetics listed for spring of 12th grade, 0.5 credits.

I like this because it's accurate and it highlights your dd's science interest--which is good for college admissions.

I did something similar.  Both my dc did a full credit of biology in 8th and I listed it on the transcript as "before 9th grade".   I felt it was important to list all the high school level science they had done--didn't want bio to appear to be missing if they didn't do more and also, the bio course had a lab associated with it.  As it turned out, both dc also did a more advanced bio course later in high school (one was a full credit, the other .5 credit), but then neither of those courses had a lab.

Anyway, my dc's transcripts went to several different colleges, from state schools to the ultra-selective.  And it was looked at in advance by admissions counselors we met with during visits to even more colleges, from the homeschool-friendly to the homeschool-clueless.  We never had any issues with listing it this way.