Menu

The college kid selling "educational books and CDs" came by!

A clean cut French kid actually, who tried to convince me that he gets credit with his college in Paris for each person who sees his 2 min. demo. :lol: As if any university in Paris cares about this kid's Summer sales numbers! He was apologetic about his perfect English and everything. Great little sales angle, but I saw right through it, thanks to advance notice from the hive.:cheers2:

How sad though to spend your Summer in another country getting the door slammed in your face. Too bad he doesn't get the chance to really experience the great things about the US. Bummer.

I had one of those this week. He said he was from the University of Texas. Boy was he missing the southern Texas drawl. ;) I told him I thought he was the air conditioner repairman and that we were getting a whole new furnace and didn't have the extra $$ for his books. He continued with his spiel (is that how you spell that?) and I finally said "If we canceled our vacation for this, I'm certainly not going to be able to buy your books!" I couldn't believe that he then asked me if I wanted to do half now and half later. :glare: Finally he went away!! I hate to answer the door.

mine was from England and luckily I was literally out the door when he walked up. But he was clever...selling books for school aged children...public, private or home schooled :D

I never buy anything from these salespeople.....the guy across the street bought everything from the meat from my truck cooler, ROFL!

The one that came here was only from BC. I listened to his talk, but never bought any of it, I told him he would have to marry me and give them to me for free for me to afford it. He didn't take me up on my offer lol, I think the fact that my 4 year old canon balled from the coffee table onto him kicking him in a sensitive area as he was getting ready to go may have prevented him lol

The kid who came by here was from Estonia. He was very polite but his English was very bad and I understood almost none of what he said. He did get across that he was having a hard time selling because most of the folks on the block did not speak English which is true, Spanish and Lao. I felt sorry for him but not sorry enough to waste our money.

I had one of these last year...

It was a girl. And we live way out in the country. And it was dark! I was thinking, this girl is really lucky that we are not bad people. Rarely do people even come inside our fence - we have a ferocious sounding dog.

My question is, was the accent real or did she just pretend to not have English mastered so that she could act like she didn't understand my questions....

Wow, you guys get all the fun. I never get a young man with an accent coming to my front door. :glare: I'd prefer one with South African or Irish accent if possible. I have no money to buy books due to my love affair with amazon.com. I would listen however, I love accents.

• 4 years later...
A clean cut French kid actually, who tried to convince me that he gets credit with his college in Paris for each person who sees his 2 min. demo. :lol: As if any university in Paris cares about this kid's Summer sales numbers! He was apologetic about his perfect English and everything. Great little sales angle, but I saw right through it, thanks to advance notice from the hive.:cheers2:

How sad though to spend your Summer in another country getting the door slammed in your face. Too bad he doesn't get the chance to really experience the great things about the US. Bummer.

Can someone link me to previous conversations explaining these people? An Estonian woke me up this morning!

I never get foreign ones! Mine all come from some far away state. The last one came telling me that she just sold to some of my teen son's friends (and she did know their names). I think they ask for names of friends who might be interested. She kept telling me that she could get me a good deal on some SAT prep. I had just been on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op that was offering the same program and told her that I was a homeschooler with access to educational discounts so she shouldn't waste her time because, even if I wanted it, I wouldn't buy it from her. That seemed to work.

I hate these kinds of companies. They take young adults, who may be desperate for jobs or travel, far away from home and send them door to door in unfamiliar neighborhoods to sell products that are sometimes questionable. I can't imagine that they make much money or enjoy their work.

I live in Indiana, but we had a girl from Montana show up this summer trying to sell books. (Southwestern Advantage?)

She had my children's names, the names of the neighbours and their children, and knew that someone else on our street with children was out of town at a funeral.

She claimed she was sent by the district to 'check up and offer' these books to all the students, and was an intern for the summer.

Long story short, she was basically great at asking questions and listening and had a hand-written list of all the people on the street, the ages of their children and the adults names.

I live in a quiet little town, and word got around quickly to the police department. She was basically asked to not return until she had official solicitation-type documents from the town council.

Ours was from Estonia this year. He wanted me to guess where he was from, and bet me that if he told me I wouldn't be able to tell him where his country was.

I told him if he won the bet, I'd listen to his spiel, and if I won, he'd have let me get back to making jam.

I won; he left. He did try to convince me I was missing out by not hearing about his books, but a deal is a deal. :lol: He was a nice kid.

Cat

Long story short, she was basically great at asking questions and listening and had a hand-written list of all the people on the street, the ages of their children and the adults names.

They are trained to do this. They introduce themselves to get your name, then ask about families with children in the neighborhood. "I just talked to your neighbor Suzie Q and she thought you might be interested." (My neighbor said nothing of the kind, but did introduce herself.)

Cat

I got all excited seeing Cadam's name thinking she was back around, but :(. Zombie thread.

I really would just like someone to direct me to previous posts. A search only gave me this one. The original poster said she learner about this topic here. It wasn't my intent to revive this one. In hindsight, I guess I should have copied what she said and started a new one. Sorry!

The girl who came by last year was European, but I can't remember where. I want to say Bulgaria? Anyway, my husband is a sucker and unfortunately he was the one to answer the door so he made an appt. for her to come back later. Ugh! Of course when she did come back we ended up buying the books because she was just so darned nice and I felt bad for her going door to door all summer. She didn't say she was doing it for credits though, she got a percentage of everything she sold.

The girl who came by this year had the same type of accent, but my dh was able to turn her away this time :tongue_smilie:

I really would just like someone to direct me to previous posts. A search only gave me this one. The original poster said she learner about this topic here. It wasn't my intent to revive this one. In hindsight, I guess I should have copied what she said and started a new one. Sorry!

It's probably discussed within the "meat truck" threads.