Menu

Talk me down.. I'm a wannabe unschooler sorta maybe.

So out of curiosity Murphy101 - what did you end up doing and any thoughts to share? I didn't notice this was a zombie thread and was reading it with interest today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... Let me see what I was suggesting back then and what I did/am doing now.

We never did finish that milk jug igloo. I think eventually it was commandeered as a wall to hunker behind for nerf wars in the yard. We did/do spend a lot more time outside.

Math and booklist have stayed my core.

I am quite happy with Writing with ease/skill. It's what my daily lessons tweaking other things tended to look like, only I don't have to work it all out myself for each kid anymore. Same results. Nearly all my kids score perfect or within a point or two of it on the English portions of the ACT and college writing has usually not been a problem.

Latin and French fell by the wayside in confirmation of my long held belief that it's nearly impossible to become proficient in a language one doesn't speak in a group. I wish it wasn't so, but that's my experience. I sure did try to prove otherwise though. However, despite the lack in younger grades, my olders did well in college foreign languages. 1 is proficient for work purposes in Spanish, 2 is same for Russian, 3 is fluent in German and has gone on to choose it as his degree. (I attribute this as more about a good teacher and plentiful opportunity inspired.) 4 is debating Latin or Italian next fall. 5. Likes French and pursues it casually enough on her own that I have no idea how good or bad she is at it.

We did Classical Catholic Memory alpha through delta. It was okay, but now the only one I have who hasn't gone through them is the 5 yr old. I'm in the fence about whether I will keep them or sell them. Leaning towards selling them to fund other things I could use.

LLFromLotR has become an entry to high school tradition here, so that's a keeper.

We do a lot more art, history and science since then. Usually it's the first or second subject of the day at least twice a week so that it isn't forever backburnered.

And because it was mentioned back then... It so happens that I do reuse the Oak Meadow 4th grade and I lucked out like never before or likely ever again last year with finding a fab deal locally on a like new complete Oak Meadow 6 set and my boy really liked/likes it. (Pregnancy yuck means we are finishing up stuff from last year. Which isn't much and we tend to not really follow set years anyways. We just keep on keeping on and moving to the next thing.). This year my high school dd is using OM geography too.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 4

Ah, the milk jug igloo.   We also started one our first year homeschooling (3 years ago).  It sounded like such a great idea... I think we got about 3 rows finished.   :)

Just *had* to Google milk jug igloo. The example I found used 428 jugs... which would mean we'd get that done, oh, just before graduation?

Large family helps. We had no problem accumulating that many jugs. Lol

I know... I was replying to bcbbmom though. And if we'd started it when we were getting WIC for pregnant me and my oldest kid, that would've helped a lot too (they gave us a lot more milk than we could chug down).