Menu

Ideas for extras for 1st/2nd grade??

momto3innc

We've started back and I'm struggling a bit with my youngest.  Our basic daily structure is this:  we do all language arts/math/handwriting type academics in the morning.  After lunch we do read alouds and either history/science/art (we rotate these).  The schedule works great for my oldest (4th grade) and fairly well for my middle (2nd grade).  But for my youngest (1st grade) she is ending up with TONS of free time in the morning since her work takes so much less time than the older ones.  Yes, this is a great thing for homeschooling, but she is my absolutely least likely to entertain herself child.  She would LIKE more to do.  And that's where I hope you guys can help.

I like the academics I have scheduled.  She does a combo of Horizons and Singapore.  For Language arts, she does FLL/WWE/AAS/OPGTTR/Sonlight readers/handwriting. 

I am trying to think of some fun, educational independent things she could do while I am working with my older ones. We have tons of arts and crafts stuff so she often does that.  I recently added a couple new apps to the Ipad she could do, but wouldn't mind a few more recommendations.  We don't do a lot of screens so she might like that.  She would like to do more "schooly" stuff...but since everything else I do with her is very hands on, I'm looking for things she could do on her own.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!!

How is she reading? We love Mindbenders (but they go fast), EvanMoor's Beginning Geography K-2, piano practice, Prima Latina video &workbook. She has to read a chapter a day of a book.

Before R-girl could read her older sibs would spend some of their independent work time reading to her or doing work with her.

I bought my 1st grader an Explode the Code workbook for that exact reason. She can work on that workbook by herself while I'm finishing up with my 3rd grader, and she enjoys it. Otherwise, she sits at the table with us and colors, does watercolors, or she does chores. We just bought one of those peg games from Cracker Barrel that I plan on letting her play while we are still working. She'll probably get bored with it after a while, but it will keep her occupied while we are still working.

I just ordered Kumon's Make a match for my upcoming 1st grader. It's independent and fun, but still logical learning going on. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935800256/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So really, I would say any sort of fun workbook sounds like it would work for you. Or there are the 1 person logic games at smartgames.eu that also sound like they may work.

However, both these ideas require more spending. Sorry.

My dd also had a great time watching the birds at our feeder and cataloging them.

Binoculars, a sketchbook and a bird book or two. 

She drew the birds, looked up some info and sometimes wrote caption or a poem for her drawing.

We have enjoyed Kumon books and the Usborne how to draw books. 

My kids liked doing the stuff in Lollipop Logic and the first Logic Safari book at that age.

For iPad apps, I have no idea what you've got, but...

Numbers League

Math Mystery

Dragonbox (I'd get the first one for that age)

Marble Math

And you could get Toontastic and let her use it as a language arts tool.  It lets you make little cartoons.  You could have her retell stories with like narration.

Great ideas--thanks!! 

We do have multiple Kumon/Dover books but maybe I'll get some new ones.  She has liked those in the past.  She also already does ETC...I forgot about listing that.

Thanks for all the ideas...I will look into everything!  I think because she does so many crafts and such in the afternoons/evenings, I was looking for some different ideas for "school time".  All this is probably exasperated since my oldest is 2E and works a bit on the slow side.  So he has more work than her being older and needs even more time...  She has just been a bit bored and since she would like to do learning stuff, I'd like to accommodate her :)

Thanks again!!

I'd suggest logic games:  Castle Logix, Camelot Jr., Safari Hide & Seek, Logic Links, etc....

My kiddos love those for independent play/school time.

Independent computer time?  Starfall, Reading Eggs...

If my kiddo needed extra, independent work, I'd probably buy a few CLE math & reading light units.  They're dirt cheap.

Audiobooks, drawing a picture to go with the story

Atelier Art (lessons on DVD), or Mini Marshmallow lessons from Mark Kistler

finger knitting (moving up to regular knitting and/or crocheting)

exercise videos, like kids yoga, ballet or kung fu

easy science experiments, maybe Lentil Science

I would find some great audiobooks. Jim Weiss reads a whole bunch of great ones. You can choose light, peaceful stories like Uncle Wiggly, classic stories like Treasure Island or Gulliver's Travels ( abridged), or Egyptian or Greek Myths! He has so many, and thu are all so educational. We also love the readings of Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Bambi, and other classic stories. I'd have her listen to those while drawing or playing quietly.

My son, age 6, listens to stories while playing with magnatiles, cars, play dough, etc.

Prufrock Press books

Reading Eggs online

Dreambox Math online

Mind Ware workbooks and coloring books

Evan Moor Workbooks

Usborne sticker books

File folder games

Paper dolls

Art DVDs like See the Light or Mark Kistler drawing lessons

ETC

Map Skills

Draw Write Now (But if you want her to really learn to draw, require 3 copies of each picture for adequate practice. Save them in a portfolio to review her growth in drawing over the year).

I'm a little confused. What do you mean by having her do the pic 3x? I really want my son to draw better and we will be starting DWN soon, but I'm not sure I understand this. In a row? Every day? Come back to it later?

I would find some great audiobooks. Jim Weiss reads a whole bunch of great ones. You can choose light, peaceful stories like Uncle Wiggly, classic stories like Treasure Island or Gulliver's Travels ( abridged), or Egyptian or Greek Myths! He has so many, and thu are all so educational. We also love the readings of Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Bambi, and other classic stories. I'd have her listen to those while drawing or playing quietly.

My son, age 6, listens to stories while playing with magnatiles, cars, play dough, etc.

Where would I find these?

Jim's audiobooks are from GreatHall Productions.  I bought one or two on Amazon, but the publisher sells them, and I believe I have seen them for sale on the Homeschool Buyer's Coop site before.

A foreign language can be a fun thing - my kids have gotten into sign language.  Your youngest might enjoy teaching the signs she learns to her siblings, then you'll all have a silent code. :)

These require prep on your part, but...

tec61148_cover_l.gif tec61154_cover_l.gif

There are other levels as well.

http://www.theeducationcenter.com/marketplace/basic/search.do?flow.ctxID=1373960275354{0,8}&flow.seqID=1374670804060

Look for anything labeled as "centers"...they are all independent practice kind of things.

I would hook her up with an audiobook once a week too. My DD likes Magic Treehouse.