Menu

I have a basket full of hot peppers and I don't know what to do with them!

I need ideas for what to do with a whole lot of hot peppers!

A kind friend brought us a lovely, Big basket of vegetables. The bottom of the basket is full of hot peppers -- the ones that look like the pepper in the Chilis logo. I don't want to waste them, but I have no idea of how to prepare them!

I would love some recipe ideas, and also to know if I can freeze them!

Many thanks!

We chop them and freeze them and use them all year round. The main thing I use them for is Mexican rice, tortilla soup, and fresh salsa.

Mexican rice:

Saute a little onion, garlic and jalepeno pepper. Add 1 cup of long grain rice and stir. Add 1.5 cups water and 1Tbsp of tomato boullion and simmer!

Tortilla soup:

Saute a little onion, garlic and jalepeno pepper. Add 1 large can diced tomatoes and 2 cups water and 1 TBsp to tomato boullion. Simmer. Serve with avacado, tortilla chips (I make fresh corn chips), cheese and cilantro!

It's a nice project for a lazy rainy afternoon. My girls and I took a ton of peppers and sewed them together in a long string. They dried over time and looked really neat and Southwesternish. I remember finding directions online, but it was very simple with needle and thread, sewing through the base of the peppers. You can also freeze them whole on cookie sheets, then pop them in a freezer baggie if you want to cook with them later. Just remember the 'heat' is in the seeds, so be careful!

Guest Virginia Dawn

You can quick pickle them. I put 2 tsp salt in the bottom of a hot/clean quart jar. Take a sharp knife and poke a small slit in each pepper and pack them in the jar. Pour boiling apple cider vinegar over the top of the peppers filling up the jar to within 1/2 inch. Put a lid on and let them cool on the counter, then refrigerate. They last quite a while and can be used in all kinds of recipes.