Menu

Can you drive a manual transmission and do you have one?

DawnM

Manual Transmission, multiple answers ok  

344 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a manual transmission car?

• All of our cars in the family are manual transmission cars
    • At least one of the cars in our family is a manual transmission
    • No cars currently, but we have had them
    • I can drive one with confidence
    • I can drive one if necessary, but not that well
    • I do not know how to drive one
    • I think it is a good skill to know
    • I don't think it matters if one knows how to drive one or not
    • Other

I'm happy to stick with a nice big and easy-to-drive Toyota Sienna van. I'll just wave at you was you pass by. Tell me it's classic rock, so I can hum along in my head. :laugh:

We actually traded in a Grand Caravan for the VW. Reliable vehicle but the seats were horrible for my sciatic nerve pain. Plus, the car gets much better crash ratings and fuel economy, so even I miss the space of the van, I don't miss much else. Also, ds is never allowed a nerf gun no matter what vehicle we're in!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ut there is no clutch.  I don't see the point of driving a clutch-less stick so I just leave it in automatic.

neither do I.  it takes away all the fun.

My van will down shift on LONG hills to gain power (usually mt passes), though I have occasionally had to manually downshift myself to get adequate power.  even in an automatic you do have some control of what gear it is in.

I don't have any problem gaining speed to merge on a freeway in a manual, and actually prefer it.  lower gears/higher rpm give more power.  I also don't have to stomp on the gas the way I do in an automatic to gain speed quickly.

we have one manual left - it's the kid car and needs to just last one more year (or two).  I hate driving it because it's a 4-spd and does not shift smoothly. at. all.  (I learned on a 5spd that was very smooth.)  and it was a super el cheapo car.  dd is using it, but she's a broke starving grad student.  I've gotten conflicting information that she will be paid for internship her final year, if so, she could buy a used car.

the only time I dislike a manual is driving up some of our 30%+ grade hills and having to stop on the hill.  (I've been on people's driveways that were much worse.  one in particular had grooves in the pavement so the tires could get purchase.)

This was recently discussed in our family due to ds's desire for a manual.  He insists (and seemed to have adequate data to support it) that cars made before 2005 (?) that were manuals did, indeed, get better gas mileage.  After 2005 (?) the automatics that were built allowed for the same mileage as a standard (manual).

Since he is poor :p and cannot afford anything made after 2005 he is trying to convince us that a manual will, indeed, save him money.

My car is five years old and is an automatic.  I get 36 miles to the UK gallon.  I'm pretty sure that an equivalent manual car would get better mileage.  

It looks as though the difference is reducing.

L

I'm surprised at the results.

I learned to drive a manual transmission when I was 17, almost simultaneously when I learned to drive. Until 3 years ago, we'd always had at least 1 stick.

BUT, I know very few people who can drive one with confidence, let alone over 30%!

Maybe those who don't feel confident aren't voting!

I don't know that these results would be typical of the population at large.

I am very glad I know how to drive one, but according to what I am reading, aprox. 90% of all cars in the USA are automatic.

I'm surprised at the results.

I learned to drive a manual transmission when I was 17, almost simultaneously when I learned to drive. Until 3 years ago, we'd always had at least 1 stick.

BUT, I know very few people who can drive one with confidence, let alone over 30%!

We have a manual speed Saturn sedan that dh drives for work so it's not my main vehicle. However, I've known how to drive manuals since high school. My parents owned one and it was the first car I ever drove. That said, I only drive short distances because the clutch is a little stiff and my bad ankle is the clutch foot. So, it gets a little sore from doing long drive times. However, that may change since I purchased special jogging shoes and am doing some jogging on it now along with different physical therapy. It's getting stronger.

DD drives manual and our eldest boy is learning. DD's hubby does not. Since her car is also a manual Saturn sedan, he can't drive it.

I learned how to drive an automatic and my Jeep is an auto. My hubs let me drive his truck with a few words of wisdom by myself and I taugh myself how to do a manual. Mind you it was tough country roads and I had to be pulled out of the mud, snow, and soft dirt. Now I love manuals more than autos and don't mind driving around busy towns in it. I got into a friends truck (auto) just like my hubs and ended up slamming on the brake thinking it was the clutch.

My boyfriend (now husband) taught me to drive my 1966 Volkswagen bug when I was 16. I think I learned in a day, not hard. The entrance to my high school was a huge, steep hill, complete with train tracks right through the middle of it. That hill was awful with a stick - early morning traffic getting into the school - ugh! I was a pro really quick! I miss my stick; I enjoyed driving it. I will not try to count how many dh has had. He is a car nut. We have 4 cars right now, none are stick.

I miss driving a stick shift!  My favorite car was a manual transmission (I drove it in my 20s until ds1 was born).  We bought an automatic for me then since my manual was a coupe and it was a terrible pain to put the carseat in and out.  Dh drove a stick until 2008 when the car would no longer run (we drive our cars into the ground).  I've driven one recently and did just fine.  It's like riding a bike... it all comes right back to you.  I would love to have one again some day. They're just more fun!

I can drive one with confidence.  We don't have any cars with standards, but there is various equipment, the grain truck and the semi.  I can drive all of those with no trouble.  I can downshift a semi like a pro, baby!

Hmm... I always thought that, in general, manuals got better gas mileage.

This use to always be the case, but now automatics typically get a higher MPG, especially when looking at continuously-variable transmissions. (These are mostly found on hybrid cars but some car makers are using them in non-hybrids.)

It would take an afternoon for him to learn.

It's pretty easy.

This. Dh (my then fiance) taught me in less than two hours one evening in the mall parking lot after they closed. I actually found it very easy. 

This thread has made me want to ask him to teach me the trick of using the emergency brake on hills. I know it isn't hard, but I have never tried it.

Ds wanted Dh's old car, which was a stick, so he learned to drive on a stick. Dd has an automatic, but I want her to learn how to drive a stick.

Both my husband and I learned to drive with a manual. I thought they were fun. We haven't had one since our 20's, however. My son learned to drive with a manual so that he could drive a neighbor's mini-cooper to the prom. My daughter is learning to drive one because that's what the majority of the cars are in Costa Rica. My other children have never driven one.

We don't have any right now.  Dh would love to have one, but they're not available in the US in the types of cars we need.  I was not allowed by my parents to get my license until I could drive a standard transmission confidently, and I do think that it is a good skill to have, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to learn anymore in many parts of the US.

I have never bought an automatic.  My mom eventually switched to automatic, and thats one of the things I dread about aging, that some day I will want an automatic.

My husband - i tried to teach him to drive in my car, and it went well enough that he FINALLY made the apt w the driving instructor he'd been putting off, but he really did not want to drive a stick every again

I taught my daughter in my manual.  she cried a lot. she got the use of her step dad's automatic.  BUT . . when she lived in CA, her bf's mom lent her a stick shift . . so she was really glad she knew how.

I've been putting off teaching my son. he just got his permit 3 weeks ago and we still havent gotten in the car.  But i'll probably start him on the old auto first, but i WILL teach him the manual.  definitely.