Menu

What are your thoughts on the meningococcal vaccine?

I haven't read all of the replies - I don't have time.:crying:

It's my understanding that these both vaccinate against meningitis, yes? Are they for different strains? Are they the same strain but given at different times (in which case why not a booster)?

My ds just got his first Hib last week. After talking to my Dr. and coming up with a vaccination schedule we both could agree on (both of us not super happy with it, but tolerate it), we decided on the Hib now - mainly because she has treated two people in my tiny little town over the last year for meningitis - it's far from eradicated.

So I'm just curious about the difference between these two. Yes, sure I could Google. I could ask my Dr. But...humor me. :D

I thought Menactra (the newer one) had been associated with GBS (Guillian-Barre syndrome) and the FDA even issued a warning/statement about this a few years ago. If the FDA even admits it, I've really got to take some notice, since it seems like they always just want to cover these things up(or at least not talk about them) to protect the manufacturers and have people keep taking the drugs/vaccines. I really don't know know what to do about this one. The disease scares me, but I have had one dd have neurological problems caused by vaccines, and definitely don't want to go down that long and horrible road again, either.