Menu

Removing mildew stains from shower grout

Moxie

Ok, I've been bad and not kept up with our shower since moving into this house. In my defense, this is my first tile shower. Our old plastic box shower was super easy (don't know what you got 'till it's gone!). Now there are a few mildew spots. I know bleach will work but I hate using bleach. Straight vinegar did nothing. The spots are currently soaking in pretty strong OxyClean but so far that is doing nothing. I'll use the bleach if I must but I'd love something else if it is out there.

You should just use tge leach. I know you don't want to, but it will remove more of the stains and keep the mildew at bay for some time. You could try brushing on Polyblend Grout Renew after to cover up the stains, but they will probably come back.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-Antique-White-8-fl-oz-Grout-Renew-GCL10HPT/100096585#.Ue0STIy9KK0

Mildew never really dies, and once it's in a porous surface, you've got a friend for life. :(

Bleach can actually ruin the grout...not that I haven't used it, but you don't want bleach to be your go-to cleaner.  Vinegar will not clean grout, and actually should *not* be used on many tile surfaces, because it's an acid.  Acids will soften and seep into tiles and can ruin them.  You need a pH neutral cleaner.

Oxyclean, hydrogen peroxide with baking soda/toothbrush, magic eraser all seem to work pretty well.  Professionals use steam (I have a steamer...not one for clothes but for household cleaning...and I'm going to try that, too.

After you clean your grout, apply a sealer.  The sealer will help keep stains from setting (especially in hard to reach corners).  

I've had some success making a paste of baking soda (mix with a little water), applying it to the stained areas, and then spraying it with white vinegar.  The foaming action got into the nooks and crannies and cleaned it out.  It didn't work in all spots, but where it did work it had the benefit that the mold or mildew didn't grow back.

If I have spots that won't clean with any natural cleaners, I use Tilex mold & mildew spray.  

Then I keep it clean by keeping a spray bottle of white vinegar + dishwashing detergent and a dish washing scrub wand in the bathroom.  During each shower, I spray a section of the walls, scrub and rinse.  It takes less than a minute.