Menu

Black Mold...UGH

PrairieSong

We had water leaking under our sink.  We completely gutted and remodeled the kitchen so no more leaking.  However, the basement ceiling has a small area of water damage right under the kitchen sink.  I've been decluttering and purging books and other stuff and when I went to retrieve a book that had fallen behind a bookcase I found BLACK MOLD there, at the baseboard.  There is no visible mold on the wall, just water damage on the ceiling and then mold down by the baseboard.  YUCK.

I am boxing up books so we can move bookcases and tear into the wall to see how extensive the mold is.  UGH.  I was so looking forward to having a clean, organized room soon.  

If you have had black mold, did you get rid of it yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?  Any advice and commiseration welcomed.  The only good thing is that I don't think the mold is very widespread.  I hope.  We shall see when we start tearing out the sheet rock.

Do NOT use bleach on it. Our chemist friend told us this gets rid of what you see, but then creates an environment where the stuff left behind (on a porous material) thrives and it will come back with a vengeance. We experienced this before we talked to her. She sent me this link: http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

I think there are lots of different species of molds, so your black mold might not necessarily be The Black Mold. Call your county health department and see if they can refer you to anyone who can identify the exact organism you have and then you can fight the identified foe. Make sure to tell the health department that you have children in the home. I managed to get them to do a whole house test for lead paint residue when we moved into our old farmhouse. However, I think the main thing that got the ball rolling was that I was able to say that we had a 1yo in the home. HTH

I think there are lots of different species of molds, so your black mold might not necessarily be The Black Mold. Call your county health department and see if they can refer you to anyone who can identify the exact organism you have and then you can fight the identified foe. Make sure to tell the health department that you have children in the home. I managed to get them to do a whole house test for lead paint residue when we moved into our old farmhouse. However, I think the main thing that got the ball rolling was that I was able to say that we had a 1yo in the home. HTH

Thanks, I will try calling them.  And yes, I realize there are different types of mold.  I don't know exactly what kind we have.

We had some in a rental house once, we moved. We had major water damage from our bump out (roof) leaking upstairs and had to replace the ceiling with new drywall. There wasn't any mold, but I feel like upstairs is so muggy sometimes. I think I'm calling someone to check out the attic and make sure there isn't any mold. Good luck!