Menu

If you use a workbook or text for spelling...

We use A Reason for Spelling. I'm not sure if there are sample pages however I am so pleased with the variety of exercises and the wonderful results! Each unit contains a pretest, word shapes (empty boxes sized to the letters for the dc to fill in), sentence dictation, proofreading, optional activities, and a post-test. There are also alphabetizing, grammar and vocabulary activities.

I cannot speak highly enough of this program.

We use A Reason for Spelling. I'm not sure if there are sample pages however I am so pleased with the variety of exercises and the wonderful results! Each unit contains a pretest, word shapes (empty boxes sized to the letters for the dc to fill in), sentence dictation, proofreading, optional activities, and a post-test. There are also alphabetizing, grammar and vocabulary activities.

I cannot speak highly enough of this program.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I will check it out.  :)

I am using Bob Jones 2nd editon spelling. The samples online are below.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_Spelling____559361

After trying out everytihng else, this one is a keeper. (Though I am looking into WRTR because I have always wondered about it.)

I've used just about every spelling program out there, and have settled on Rod & Staff Spelling.  You can see samples at this website.

Thanks!  This helps a lot.  Sequential Spelling works wonderfully for my youngest son who is a natural speller, but my older son has never fully caught on.  I'm looking to do something more rule-based with him so that he can see the logic behind spelling, but I can't afford to buy another curriculum.  I had seen these free practice books before, and I think I can make them work, but I didn't know if the homework pages would be enough practice or if I should add in some of my own exercises.  Seeing what other spelling books ask of students is very helpful.

I've been using and loving R&S Spelling. The exercises focus on what letter combinations make a particular sound in a word. There are also dictionary exercises and such. It's simple, yet effective. The "rules" and such taught are very similar to those taught in AAS. R&S is much more independent though, thus it gets done around here. It's not the most exciting curriculum in the world, but it's such a small part of the day, that that doesn't really matter. :)

I've used just about every spelling program out there, and have settled on Rod & Staff Spelling.  You can see samples at this website.

I've been using and loving R&S Spelling. The exercises focus on what letter combinations make a particular sound in a word. There are also dictionary exercises and such. It's simple, yet effective. The "rules" and such taught are very similar to those taught in AAS. R&S is much more independent though, thus it gets done around here. It's not the most exciting curriculum in the world, but it's such a small part of the day, that that doesn't really matter. :)

I'm really loving R&S too.  I put Sylvia through 2 and 3 last year and decided to switch Rebecca over this year too.

For those who use R&S, how necessary is the teacher's manual?

We only used one level of R&S, but I liked having it for the spelling test sentences...my on-the-spot sentences aren't very creative.  I also used it a few times when the answer was a bit unclear.  I could see many moms not needing it though.

I don't pull them out that often.  I do use this book for giving tests.  It's not necessary at all, but it makes my life a bit easier to not have to think of sentences (since I'm often multitasking while giving spelling tests).  It contains all the spelling words and a sample sentence for each word for every level (2-8).

I'm another happy R&S user. We own the entire set, and I couldn't be happier with a spelling course. Painless, effective, and gets the job done well.

The TE isn't a must for the younger levels. I enjoy having it just for the time it saves me (correcting, quiz sentences), and considering how inexpensive it is you really can't go wrong.

Here's another free spelling source if you are interested.  Last year we used the Splashes from the River Spelling program.  I like their activities and the dictation sentences were ok.

Thank you!  I'm debating whether to spend the money on R&S since so many seem to like it, but free is better for us at this point.  If my husband doesn't find a job soon, then when he gets out of school at the end of next month, I may be forced to put my kids in school so that I am available to work if need be.  It's so depressing, but I want to do the best I can to keep teaching my kids until the bitter end, and right now my oldest needs spelling.  

Thank you!  I'm debating whether to spend the money on R&S since so many seem to like it, but free is better for us at this point.  If my husband doesn't find a job soon, then when he gets out of school at the end of next month, I may be forced to put my kids in school so that I am available to work if need be.  It's so depressing, but I want to do the best I can to keep teaching my kids until the bitter end, and right now my oldest needs spelling.  

Here's another site with lists.  I used the lists and plugged them into spelling city.  I'm all about free--we're budget strapped as well.

Thanks!  This helps a lot.  Sequential Spelling works wonderfully for my youngest son who is a natural speller, but my older son has never fully caught on.  I'm looking to do something more rule-based with him so that he can see the logic behind spelling, but I can't afford to buy another curriculum.  I had seen these free practice books before, and I think I can make them work, but I didn't know if the homework pages would be enough practice or if I should add in some of my own exercises.  Seeing what other spelling books ask of students is very helpful.

Since you mentioned it, I figured I’d add that I really love using the regular spelling practice books from Zaner-Bloser. I understand if you can’t purchase them at this time, but I would suggest using those practice pages just because I’m such a fan of the curriculum I bought. There’s also other things that Zaner offers to complement their programs, I’m not sure which grade you’re looking for but if you go to the “Buy Now†page you can see the add-ons, like the Game Mats could be fun.

You may just need to kind of get started it in to see if you would need more supplemental practice. IMO I think you may need to beef it up those free practice books just a little, but I’m sure there’s tons of ideas out there and other free stuff to help you out (and great community members with help!)

Adding in your own exercises may end up being fun!

[i’m sorry to hear about the struggle with your husband and finding a job. I wish you the best of luck with that so you can keep your kids home for schooling! ]