Menu

Would you find this inappropriate and offensive? (Vent)

Mrs. Darinski

Not two weeks ago we went to a funeral and to the daughter of the deceased house afterward for food. She had the affair catered and invited everyone over. People ate and talked and visited w/ family they hadn't seen since the last funeral etc. Then the daughter who has always been super outgoing and friendly came down to their basement game room/office where some a lot of our arm of the family were eating/talking and said something to the effect of "I hope you all don't fell like I've been ignoring you. There is more room upstairs (A lot of people had left) and I want to show you guys this cool video we made." I guess we were all thinking home movies of the deceased or old home videos or something. So she sets all of these chairs up and starts this dvd. Then she starts this paper around for all of us to put our email addresses on. Still not thinking too much about this behavior until we get 3 minutes into the very cheesy video that was marketing their new webmall business. I was mortified. There were all of these close family members to the deceased, several really old people, kids, and we are watching this very loud chaotic movie on this giant screen tv while she is going around collecting everyone's email. I had already given her our email before I realized what it was for. Blah.

That's positively disgusting. I'm glad you called her out on it!

I have a friend who is the top salesperson in the country for her MLM (a well-known and popular one). She has never once tried to sell me on it or invited me to a party. She's too down to earth and genuine; she's successful because she's not pushy or sneaky. People come to her.

I agree that approaching someone at a funeral about this is just....gross.

I do have to say that I've done a couple of MLM businesses and have done quite well, but on my own.  I never recruited anyone because I didn't want the hassle, and I never tried to force anyone to buy anything, or have "parties" if they didn't want to.  I made money and had a steady stream of extra income (never my primary income) because I didn't pressure anyone.  People liked my style and didn't have any problem having me in their home.

I actually enjoy going to these home parties sometimes, so I don't mind being asked....ONCE.  People need to remember that no still means no.

Not two weeks ago we went to a funeral and to the daughter of the deceased house afterward for food. we get 3 minutes into the very cheesy video that was marketing their new webmall business. I was mortified.

I'm so sorry.  You have no reason to feel mortified as you did nothing wrong - SHE otoh - should be ashamed of herself.  somehow though, I think she will not have as many invitations for family get togethers, nor will as many attend her.

Mary Kay or Pampered Chef stuff doesn't bother me, but the Amway/ACN folks are just different. They're completely delusional. They spend more going to conferences than they make on their 'business.' They bug the same people persistently. It's just cultish and weird.

I have an idea why they ran. There are pockets of Amway families around the US, certainly not all or the majority by any stretch, who have been investigated by the feds. Some of them have engaged in illegal practices to "grow their businesses". We had a couple Amway families here in Michigan that went on the lamb....IRS tax evasion and they were taught how to "cook the books" at management meetings with higher ups...some of the once top selling families for Amway are now residing in Rio! Brazil has no extradition treaty with the US.

Wow, rogue @mway sellers on the lam. Who knew?!

I like Pampered Chef and know some ladies who made it a decent little side business. When all of the husbands on my block deployed, we took turns hosting PC parties with one PC lady. It was fun.

But, I agree that some of those companies (and their reps) are annoying and shady!